AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked at sony bravias, samsungs,and panasonic plasma's and I just can't grasp onto all the hub bub in regards to the plasmas, to me the picture looks too dark on plasmas and from what ive seen it doesn't appear that the 3d is any better than sonys or samsungs, I guess what im wondering is the crosstalk/ shadowing the deciding factor in people buying panasonic plasma over sony/samsung led? If 3d is a factor whats better about the 3d over sony/samsung? do the images come farther off the screen with plasma? just trying to become informed before I purchase.

·
Registered
221 Posts
From a review standpoint, the Panasonic 3D displays (VT20/VT25) are regarded as the best 2D and 3D TVs on the market.

From the info I've gathered, it looks like plasma as a technology responds better with 3D. Sure the picture is darker on a plasma (therefore the 3D would also be darker), but less crosstalk and picture quality is where the plasma shines.

Go to any local Best Buy. They have most if not all the brands on display to test out the 3D effects. Decide on your own what you feel is a better picture.

You mention brightness, and yes LED based LCDs should be brighter. That's just the nature of the technology. Just know that most living rooms can support a plasma brightness just fine, even rooms with tons of lighting. I wouldn't make brightness be the only reason why you sway your opinion towards one brand over another.

Now between the Samsung and Sony LED based LCD models I've seen, I found the Samsung TVs to look better, but know that is completely subjective and opinionated on my part. I found that the Sony's had a flicker vs. Samsungs did not. I've also seen that both models introduce a good deal more crosstalk than the Panasonic plasmas (this could be because Panasonic's 3D tech or because it is a plasma). Also know that people have been having issues with Samsung's 3D glasses losing sync, but it could be like that for all brands.

Also if we are going strictly off price, 3D plasmas will almost always be cheaper than an LED based LCD.

Feel free with any more questions, that's what AVS is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV /forum/post/19618295

Move to the left and right. Nod up and down. The big advantage of Plasma for 3D is the expanded viewing angle.

That's true. Also turning your head 90 degrees left or right on the Sony's (possibly the Samsungs as well) you lose the 3D effect and end up with a dark unwatchable picture. Imagine watching TV with the darkest pair of sunglasses you can find. That's assuming you watch TV laying down. I haven't had the chance to test this yet (my Panasonic is coming in next week) does the Panasonic still show a 3D picture when laying down?

·
Registered
19,093 Posts
I've always had an issue with the darkness of a plasma as well...most people claim that plasma has the most realistic picture quality and is what it is supposed to look like...are movies/TV shows really supposed to look dark like this?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Almost forgot that the only brand that doesn't offer 2D to 3D is Panasonic unless you go to their GT25 series, which doesn't seem to have the same high review scores as the VT20/VT25 series.

From my experience, it is pretty hit or miss on the quality using the upconvert feature. Sometimes you would think it was being filmed in 3D, and other times its just a jittery mess.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy /forum/post/19618324

I've always had an issue with the darkness of a plasma as well...most people claim that plasma has the most realistic picture quality and is what it is supposed to look like...are movies/TV shows really supposed to look dark like this?

Depends on how bright you want a picture. There really is no science to how bright for this or that. It's subjective by the viewer. I've owned 2 LCD's and 1 plasma. While the LCD was brighter, the blacks were disappointing. You can always turn the brightness up on a TV (to a certain point), but you can never drastically change the black level performance of a TV. It's just a limitation of the display.

In my experience, 40 to 50 fL is the perfect brightness for most rooms. Some just prefer a brighter picture. My guess is you are used to let's say 60 to 80 fL which in my mind is searing retina bright, but appealing to you and others.

What do you typically set your TV to? What brand and what are your settings?

·
Registered
19,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanplumber /forum/post/19618346

Depends on how bright you want a picture. There really is no science to how bright for this or that. It's subjective by the viewer. I've owned 2 LCD's and 1 plasma. While the LCD was brighter, the blacks were disappointing. You can always turn the brightness up on a TV (to a certain point), but you can never drastically change the black level performance of a TV. It's just a limitation of the display.

In my experience, 40 to 50 fL is the perfect brightness for most rooms. Some just prefer a brighter picture. My guess is you are used to let's say 60 to 80 fL which in my mind is searing retina bright, but appealing to you and others.

What do you typically set your TV to? What brand and what are your settings?

I don't want it to be too bright but there needs to be some brightness to certain images...plasma it seems makes everything much darker

I currently have a DLP which I had professionally calibrated...the image looks great to me...not too bright and not too dark...I'm worried that getting a plasma would make black levels look amazing but brighter scenes lose their sharpness and 'punch'...for example if I'm watching an NFL game I want the colors of the jerseys and the grass to look natural and not like they are playing at night

·
Registered
221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy /forum/post/19618359

I don't want it to be too bright but there needs to be some brightness to certain images...plasma it seems makes everything much darker

I currently have a DLP which I had professionally calibrated...the image looks great to me...not too bright and not too dark...I'm worried that getting a plasma would make black levels look amazing but brighter scenes lose their sharpness and 'punch'...for example if I'm watching an NFL game I want the colors of the jerseys and the grass to look natural and not like they are playing at night

I see what you mean. I don't think you would lose any brightness compared to your DLP. Typically, DLP's and plasmas if calibrated properly would match in brightness around 50 fL unless your room needed more or you asked specifically for a brighter picture. Now from a 3D perspective, the plasma (like all 3D TVs) jumps in brightness to offset the brightness loss from the 3D glasses when in use. Next time I have a football game on, I'll post a picture of my 50" Samsung I'm currently using, and I'll post a picture with my new Panasonic when it comes in, so you can see if you would find the picture too dark. Also I personally calibrated mine to 45 fL for Cal-Day setting and around 30 fL for late night viewing on Cal-Night.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denodan
I have also read that LCD 3DTV's won't do full 1080p in 3D due to the refresh rates is slower than Plasma, also better depth from Plasma over LCD.
You might be thinking about motion resolution (1080 on the 3D Pannys) because current LED LCD 3D panels will indeed display 3D Blu Rays @ full 1080p pixel resolution just like a plasma

1 - 10 of 10 Posts