AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the reviews on both of these projectors and they both sound excellent. (Dust blob issue not withstanding)

I'm wondering would it be worth it to buy the 2000 if I'm not using a cinema scope screen? They are going for around two grand these days as opposed to the 3000 going for $2500

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Even without a scope screen, I'd still say get the AE3000* (I've had an AE1000 and AE2000 before myself). The picture has more punch to it and the blacks are better. You can still use the lens memory to push a 2.35:1 image to the bottom of you 16:9 screen so you lose the bottom black bar for a crisper image (on non subtitled films anyway).

*If your room is white and/or has ambient light you might not see the improvement as I found I had to improve my room setup a bit with removable black velvet to reduce reflections back to the screen.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The AE3000 is a BIG JUMP over the AE2000 in terms of black and contrast levels.

AE2000 is a small upgrade over the AE1000.

The AE1000 was a big jump over the older D4 720p panels in terms of contrast and black levels used in the AE700/900.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'd spend the extra money and get the 3000, its got better perfomance and you could even pick one up that is a demo version if your short on cash, from the sponsers for less than a new unit. Call to find out price because advertised demo models aren't always priced right.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the input. I'm still waivering on an upgrade since my AX200 only has 500 hours on it and everywhere I look and see the AE3000 advertized I also see the AX200. It's a good projector and it's not that old. When I turn it on I'm thrilled with the performance. I have maybe 90% percent light control in my room and my walls are light grey with a white ceiling. I use it for TV, Video Games, and Blu-ray in that order. My big annual event is Super Bowl. I sit 12 feet away from a 1.1 gain 100" screen.

They say never leave a good party looking for a better one because it probably won't be. Given the challenges I have with my room and my plan for use, will I see a big difference between the AX200 and the AE3000?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts