AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the differences between these projectors? Which seems to be the better buy for the money? Is there enough information out there to make any determination?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
we don't know what the street prices will be for sure...although it seems likely that the sony will retail for about $1000 more ($3000 vs. $2000.) is an extra DVI input and a very slight edge in pixel count worth 50% more? i think we'll need a side by side shootout to know for sure.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
on paper, the hs20 has a slight edge in brightness and connectivity. However, based on $1k price difference, I would go with the 500 if all else was equal. The big unknown is lamp modulation, if this technique works, it could really make the 500 a no-brainer. Given sony's poor reliability track record with the hs10, I'm biased towards the panny, anyway.

I think the ae-500 would make a fine starter machine,

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Last year the same question came up between the AE300 and HS10 (and the Z1). Many thought that if we were able to see them together then everybody would know which one to buy. So, we had a shootout at my house and I think we came out of it seeing that each had their advantages and there was no clear winner. That could be different this year, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

The biggest question for me is how well the new AE-500 smooth-screen works and if there is still a problem with scanlines. I believe they will be released in Japan on October 10th, so I'm sure we should get some ideas about this after that.

--Darin

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Hi,

ALL LCD projector has motion-scanline effect, IMO. Panny smooth-screen WORKS as I saw on the AE300.

My only concerns are vertical banding and HTPC 1:1 mapping. Ok, I also want a 1080i component input that actually gives a great picture...

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Li On
ALL LCD projector has motion-scanline effect, IMO. Panny smooth-screen WORKS as I saw on the AE300.
They claimed to have an improved version on the AE500, so it will be interesting to see if they have improved it somehow. I was a fan of the smooth-screen at first, but now I'm not so sure. I sold the AE300, but when I saw it after that the scanline stuff jumped out at me still. I haven't noticed the same "now it's there, now it isn't effect" on other LCDs. I know there was a service tweak to reduce this and others didn't see it in some testing after, but I still did.

I'm planning on ordering an AE500 and checking some of the same material out. BJM and I found the scanline artifact in the AE300 in some scenes from "The Fifth Element", so I plan on trying that same stuff on the AE500. Maybe the extra lines will make them less noticable (seemed to be horizontal).

--Darin

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm a bit more interested in the Sony HS20, as it can do 1024x768 computer resolution (whereas 720p PJ's only do that with scaling). But then again, I would like 1:1 pixelmapping, and the Sony only specify 1280x720 or 1280x768 @60Hz as computer resolution. Strange that they believe computers can do that rez, but not 1266x768.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
The most interested difference between the two will be how well the variable iris on the HS20 works VS the lamp modulation on the AE500. Since the variable Iris is the more tried and true technique, and based on a very few observations from those at Cedia, my money's on the HS20.

But of course we won't know anything until both are officially released.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Yes, but doesn't that Epson TW500 with HD resolution sound nice compared to these? Then again it might not make this forum's price point.

·
Registered
334 Posts
1x DVI-D & 1x HDMI (can be used for DVI with DVI/HDMI converter)

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lespurgeon
Yes, but doesn't that Epson TW500 with HD resolution sound nice compared to these? Then again it might not make this forum's price point.
With SXRD's going for $20-25K I couldn't imagine the price would be anywhere near this forum. But I'd like to hear more..

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I've read about problems with the HS10 and lamp failures. But I wasn't that sure about how much to consider this as a real problem vs. an anecdotal issue. Now, I saw this thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=304438

In this thread, 1 single owner has had 3 Sony HS10s with lamp problems. This defy's statistical probability! Unless this guy is lying or exaggerating, you have to wonder about this Sony unit.

There was another thread, where someone talked to a Sony salesman at the recent CEDIA show -- who indicated that the HS10 did NOT have a lamp issue. And, that it wouldn't be corrected in the HS20 -- because there IS no problem.

With the evidence in this forum, I'd have to say that Sony has their head in the sand and I would be scared to death to pick the Sony over the Panasonic when the two units are released. (Also, while I've always been in awe of Sony's edge in technological development, this isn't the first Sony product that's made me wonder about their concern for reliability).

Also, from what I've heard (read), the 500's picture will be smoother than the HS20 even though the HS20 may have an edge in resolution.

My vote has to go for the 500 -- even before the units are released!

·
Registered
334 Posts
GreggPenn

Quote:
Also, from what I've heard (read), the 500's picture will be smoother than the HS20 even though the HS20 may have an edge in resolution.

My vote has to go for the 500 -- even before the units are released!
I would suggest that a side-by-side comparison would be the only way you could actually make a definitive assessment of the pros & cons of each and base your final decision on that test. It's all very well to read what other people have to say, but in the end it's you personal taste, opinion, likes, dislikes that will make the decision.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreggPenn
There was another thread, where someone talked to a Sony salesman at the recent CEDIA show -- who indicated that the HS10 did NOT have a lamp issue. And, that it wouldn't be corrected in the HS20 -- because there IS no problem.
Regardless of what a company representative at some show says, I am confident that somebody at Sony knows how many HS10s they have had to service or take care of because of different issues. If something is costing them a lot and they can reasonably stop it from costing them a lot, then I am confident that they will.

--Darin

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreggPenn

With the evidence in this forum, I'd have to say that Sony has their head in the sand and I would be scared to death to pick the Sony over the Panasonic when the two units are released. (Also, while I've always been in awe of Sony's edge in technological development, this isn't the first Sony product that's made me wonder about their concern for reliability).
Someone also posted internal service memos from Sony about a new power supply and other hardware fixes, I would tend to believe those over a sales rep who isn't going to want to talk about "problems" with his products. ;)

·
Registered
986 Posts
i just noticed that the 500 is now shipping in japan, and for much less than 2 grand. Do you think they will stick with the same price point in the usa?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by George_Stenbeck
i just noticed that the 500 is now shipping in japan, and for much less than 2 grand. Do you think they will stick with the same price point in the usa?
where did you see this information?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just a little correction, 10th Oct.

You will see it on that site nobody can't mention.

I also got in touch with them and I was told the definitive price should be disclosed around 30th Sept.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.