AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Now that I got my audio part of the room set up, I am busying pondering the video. The room is basically 14 ft x 17 ft. I am planning a 92 inch diagonal screen. The question is basically between these two $2500 projectors.

I watch probably 40% sports, 30% HDTV and 30% movies. The room itself has no windows but will have a moderate amount of ambient light. I generally like the idea of 2.35:1 with the panasonic but the Epson seems to be brighter. The Panasonic has better CFI and I like the idea of the automatic lens. The Epson has better warranty etc.

OK, the reviews seem to favor the Epson 60/40. But given the smaller 92 inch screen, I am leaning toward the Panasonic. As far as the screen is concerned that is dependent on the projector, but I am looking at the GreyHawk RS and the Da-Lite HC Cinemavision.

OK, I would like some input from people in the real world!!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
i'm standing by checking out your post bro...exactly what i was asking for...

with the rebate and free lamp, the 6500 and the panny is dead on as far as cost is concerned...(unless you're telling me you can get the 6500 before the rebate for $2,500, then PM me)...

from what i've read, the panny's only downfall is a dimmer and softer picture (suppose to be easier on the eyes though), otherwise the features, ease of use, quality, etc...owns the epson...

for me, i'm looking at a 200" screen so i'm leaning towards the epson...and with the patch 1.09 out for the epson, that helps out the CFI...

this is a tough one bro...i got my pop corn ready for this thread tho...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once you get up to that size, I don't think either of these would work! I think you probably meant 100" screen which is only slightly larger than the 92". However, once you get to 110", you would need additional brightness.

·
Mod & Bluray Reviewer
2,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/16972334

Now that I got my audio part of the room set up, I am busying pondering the video. The room is basically 14 ft x 17 ft. I am planning a 92 inch diagonal screen. The question is basically between these two $2500 projectors.

I watch probably 40% sports, 30% HDTV and 30% movies. The room itself has no windows but will have a moderate amount of ambient light. I generally like the idea of 2.35:1 with the panasonic but the Epson seems to be brighter. The Panasonic has better CFI and I like the idea of the automatic lens. The Epson has better warranty etc.

OK, the reviews seem to favor the Epson 60/40. But given the smaller 92 inch screen, I am leaning toward the Panasonic. As far as the screen is concerned that is dependent on the projector, but I am looking at the GreyHawk RS and the Da-Lite HC Cinemavision.

OK, I would like some input from people in the real world!!!!

Having had a Panny AE200U as well as a Epson 1080UB I would go for the Epson. I enjoyed the image "feel" more on the Epson. Have you considered the JVC's? For a similar the price point look at this- Its a blowout sale for the JVC RS2. I ended up getting a JVC LCOS and wouldn't go back to a LCD projector again!!

If CIH is your ultimate goal and don't want to use the "zoom" method (which wouldn't kill your brightness too bad on a 92" screen) then I the panny is the practical choice.

Good luck!

·
Registered
241 Posts
The AE3000 wins marks for color accuracy and naturalness. The image is very film-like and a pleasure to watch. When I watch sports with lights on I use a brighter setting that works well. Given that most of your viewing is sports, the slightly sharper and more digital look of the Epson may be a good choice. You really can't go wrong with either projector.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I faced the same issue back in April. I eventually chose the Epson. We had never owned a projector before, so I was very concerned with brightness. I also depended a lot on the reviews that Art did on projectorreviews.com. I also wanted the slightly better blacks, longer bulb life and slightly less expensive bulb price (at least that's what I concluded back in April).

As an added benefit that I didn't realize at the time of my selection, is the Epson has a full Color Management System (CMS). I decided to get an Eye-One LT and learn how to calibrate the system after about a month of owning the unit. There is an excellent guide here that will give you tremendous results. I have enjoyed calibrating the unit almost as much as watching it.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki /forum/post/16975271

I agree you cant go wrong with either projector. If you want 2.35 with an anamorphic lens, then the Epson wont work unless you get an external scaler. I personally like the Epson better but I would be happy with either one

someone please explain to me in layman's terms why panny's 2.35 set up is important for movie fans compared to epson's? i've been reading up on it some but still don't fully understand why it makes any difference?

my thought is epson should be able to show movies in 2.35:1 format too...right? it'll just have the black boxes above and below it?

Edit - never mind, i read projectorreviews explaination and it makes sense now...but imo, i don't think it's THAT big of a deal...maybe for hard core movie lovers

·
Banned
1,899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3bbY /forum/post/16972739

Having had a Panny AE200U as well as a Epson 1080UB I would go for the Epson. I enjoyed the image "feel" more on the Epson. Have you considered the JVC's? For a similar the price point look at this- Its a blowout sale for the JVC RS2. I ended up getting a JVC LCOS and wouldn't go back to a LCD projector again!!

If CIH is your ultimate goal and don't want to use the "zoom" method (which wouldn't kill your brightness too bad on a 92" screen) or a lens then I guess the panny is the practical choice.

Good luck!

While the JVC rs2 is a great movie fp'The poster watches sports the most and the JVC is very dim compared to the Epson on its bright mode.Nocontest.I would go with the Epson.Even the ax200 would be a great sports FP at less than 1k.

·
Registered
644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead /forum/post/16976662

While the JVC rs2 is a great movie fp'The poster watches sports the most and the JVC is very dim compared to the Epson on its bright mode.Nocontest.I would go with the Epson.Even the ax200 would be a great sports FP at less than 1k.

In a mostly light controlled room, on a 92" screen, you won't lack any brightness; so its a non issue.

With a 92" screen you aren't going to be putting up a 2.35:1 screen for a small fraction of the 30% of movie viewing time; so the famed auto 2.35 is a non issue.

What is an issue is price, warranty, rebates, and ease of placement. All of those favor the Sanyo Z3000 - its less expensive, it has a 3 year warranty, it has a good rebate and it has the largest lens shift ability of the Epson or Panasonic. It also has 5:5 pull down for watching movies on TV and it has an automatic lens closing door for protection. And it has the great ability to clean dust blobs in the optical path, which neither of the rivals have.

Here is a comparison detailed review:

http://www.homecinemacentral.com.au/..._Z7_review.htm

No contest for someone who mostly watches sports and TV.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion456 /forum/post/16986038

What is an issue is price, warranty, rebates, and ease of placement. All of those favor the Sanyo Z3000 - its less expensive, it has a 3 year warranty, it has a good rebate and it has the largest lens shift ability of the Epson or Panasonic. It also has 5:5 pull down for watching movies on TV and it has an automatic lens closing door for protection. And it has the great ability to clean dust blobs in the optical path, which neither of the rivals have.

Here is a comparison detailed review:

http://www.homecinemacentral.com.au/..._Z7_review.htm

No contest for someone who mostly watches sports and TV.

You must own the Sanyo, eh?

I'm sure it is a fine PJ, but the OP was asking between the Panny and Epson.

BTW, the Austrialian review you posted was the first I've read to prefer the Sanyo over the Panny (the reviewer seemed to have a grudge against Panasonic, as well - which removes objectivity). The Epson wasn't even mentioned.

Art

·
Registered
644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne /forum/post/16988750

You must own the Sanyo, eh?

I'm sure it is a fine PJ, but the OP was asking between the Panny and Epson.

BTW, the Austrialian review you posted was the first I've read to prefer the Sanyo over the Panny (the reviewer seemed to have a grudge against Panasonic, as well - which removes objectivity). The Epson wasn't even mentioned.

Art

I noticed you didn't quibble with the superiority of the Sanyo Z3000 in the areas I mentioned.

Most reviews I have read put the Sanyo and Panasonic in the same league, with vague things like slightly better blacks, or slightly brighter, going for the Panny. Neither of those things is very significant in a room with some ambient light. So what do you see as the Panny's strength in this situation?

The Epson is brighter but on a 92" screen that really isn't a big factor either.

Here is a 2nd review that finds the Sanyo superior, and it applied directly to this OPs primary activities:

"On the other hand: I definitely favor the Sanyo PLV-Z3000 for watching sports, and general HDTV, etc. as it has more pop, and wow factor in brighter scenes, when compared to the Panasonic."

No harm is done to mention a third alternative that the OP might not be aware of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts