AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im completely new the the PJ scene. I bought a new house with a complete theatre room setup. The previous owner had very high end equipment and all prewired (had to run my own HDMI since it was back in 2005 when he ran his).

Now I wanted to spend about 2K - $2.5K for a good PJ. Looks like the AE4000 and 8500UB seens to be the popular choices. My room is a 11 x 17 with a Stewart Firehawk Grey screen that drops down from the ceiling. The room is completely dark, with no problem with outside lighting.

What do you recommend? the AE4000 or the 8500UB? Looking for a reliable unit. Will be mostly movie / Dish Network watching.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry, its a 100" Stewart Firehawk grey screen.

First row of seats is about 9.5 ft away from the screen.

2nd is 15.5 ft away from the screen.

·
Registered
733 Posts
You could close your eyes and pick one...and be very happy. Panny has the lens memory feature thats cool but Epson has the cust serv that is tops. I purchased a 8100 and I'm very happy w/ it. Both are going to have about same placement flexibility as they are lcd. For 2k you can't beat the ae4000. I like to save money or not spend more than I have to I should say so I would buy the 4000. I believe projectorreviews dot com had a shootout between these two pj's...check it out.

·
Registered
366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipertec /forum/post/18218867

sorry, its a 100" Stewart Firehawk grey screen.

First row of seats is about 9.5 ft away from the screen.

2nd is 15.5 ft away from the screen.

Mount an AE4000U about 10 feet from the screen with a decent ceiling mount. With your first row that close you will be glad you have the smooth screen technology.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaGeorge /forum/post/18219128

Mount an AE4000U about 10 feet from the screen with a decent ceiling mount. With your first row that close you will be glad you have the smooth screen technology.

wow, would it really need to be about 10ft away? The cables to the projector is on the back wall about 17ft away from the screen. IT would be almost impossible to bring it to 10ft. Would I have the same issue with the Epson?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipertec /forum/post/18219234

wow, would it really need to be about 10ft away? The cables to the projector is on the back wall about 17ft away from the screen. IT would be almost impossible to bring it to 10ft. Would I have the same issue with the Epson?

You will be fine from 17' feet. I have the AE4000 and it wouldn't be my choice with a gray screen. I have mine 17.5' from the screen white matte 92" screen and in the best mode (color 1), the AE4000 is just too dim. You can use the normal mode for extra brightness but I feel color 1 is the best mode.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipertec /forum/post/18219781

what is a 1.4 gain? sorry Im a newbie.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...reens_gain.htm

Actually, that screen has a gain of 1.3.

Generally grey screens have a lower gain (i.e. .8) and aren't as bright as a white screen. It was my understanding that that particular grey screen has the same or higher gain than most white screens, so the picture wouldn't necessarily be dimmer than with a white screen.

·
Registered
366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipertec /forum/post/18219234

The image will be brighter due to more light coming out of the lens at the wideangle setting (closer to your screen) versus the telephoto setting (farthest from your screen). Of course, you can mount it at 17' away, but you would have to use the "Normal" (high) setting of the lamp in the "Color 1" (best mode for accurate color, i.e., the mode you should be using) in order to get about the same level of brightness as the "Eco-Mode" (low) setting of the lamp. If you mount it closer, then as the lamp ages and becomes dimmer you could switch to the "Normal" lamp setting to compensate. If you mount it at 17' and need the brighter lamp setting from the start, then all you can do as the lamp ages is switch from "Color 1" to "Normal" picture mode, which will degrade the color accuracy. Of course, there are advantages to mounting it at 17', which are having somewhat increased contrast at the telephoto lens setting and if you use the "Normal" lamp mode then you will also get further improved contrast. You may or may not be able to notice and/or find it to be worth the disadvantages.

Yes, the Epson would have the same considerations. It may be brighter, but be sure to compare in best modes. Also, FWIW, Projector Central measured the Epson bulb dimming at a substantially higher initial rate versus the Panasonic.
You may see SDE with the Epson from your first row, so the Panasonic is the way to go IMHO.

Note that if your screen has some gain (someone mentioned 1.4), then that would compensate for the loss at the telephoto setting. I am also assuming that you watch with lights out and ambient light control, although the screen you have is really designed for non-ideal lighting conditions IIRC.

Full disclosure: I own the AE4000U, have a 106" diagonal 16:9 Matte White screen (gain of 1.0), have the PJ mounted at about 10'7" or so (within an inch or two of as close as possible) and the Eco-Mode lamp setting is just right with the Color 1 picture mode (in fact, I find Normal lamp setting too bright). I currently have 245 hours on the PJ and have not noticed a change in intensity of the image yet. Note that I can control ambient light and watch with lights out, but since this is my great room the walls are still a lighter off white color and the ceiling is white. Nevertheless a fantastic picture!
Bottom line: Use it at 17' and be happy!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaGeorge /forum/post/18219128

I sit about 8.5 feet away from a 92" screen using an Epson 6500UB, and I see absolutely no pixel structure, if that is what the "smooth-screen" feature is supposed to eliminate.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV /forum/post/18225658

I sit about 8.5 feet away from a 92" screen using an Epson 6500UB, and I see absolutely no pixel structure, if that is what the "smooth-screen" feature is supposed to eliminate.

Some of us are more sensitive to pixel structure than others. I sent back a 8500UB, because SDE was visible from 1.5 screen widths in my case.

To the poster:

The 8500UB has a bit deeper black level, but it is offset by inferior shadow detail in comparison to the AE4000. The 8500UB is also a bit brighter. The FI on the AE4000 works better, in my opinion. I wanted to love the Epson (it cost me money to send it back), but the SDE and lack of shadow detail was a deal breaker. Honestly, in my small (13'x12') totally black theatre room, with a 9' wide screen, my 2 year old AE2000 was superior to the 8500UB - except for black level. I do realize I sit closer to a larger screen than most do.

Art

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a small room with minimal light coming in which I plan on mounting the unit on a 8 ft ceiling probably 8 to 10 feet and watching about 8 ft away.

I know I can't really go wrong with either projector based on the reviews here on the forum but are there any features such a zoom on either projector that would make it work better in such a small room.

Also, should I go with a 72", 84", or 100" screen for best picture quality?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts