AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be converting basement to a HT, and think the price and features of the Panaconic AE700U look good. I will build a new home (and a new theater) in about three years. Is the AE700 a good first move?

·
Registered
870 Posts
HTRICK,

I have the AE700 and think it is very nice. I also have a 73" Mitsubishi HD RPTV and was worried that I might not be satisfied with the AE700 but I am. It is a great first projector for sure. You will be thrilled!!

Good luck,

Stace

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I would say it will be a great projector. Many old timers use it as well :)

I've had to Sanyo Z2, which is similar to the AE500, for over a year and love it. I believe the AE700 is considered a long throw type projector, so make sure your room can accomodate it. Check out www.projectorcentral.com 's calculator so you can get an idea of what throw distance will give you what size screen options.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
it has been a great first projector for me. the picture is solid and it's flexibility is great...you can throw a 100" diagonal image from anywhere between 10' and 20'. personally i'm projecting a 112" screen and viewing from 12'. high def material rocks on this projector.

one thing to consider...if you're not going to have the theater ready for a little while you might want to hold out for the AE900 which should be out in the next month or two. it is rumored to use the D5 lcd panels which should provide a boost to contrast ratio and a few other areas.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the idea of waiting. I am so excited to pull the trigger and commit, but I will work on the room for the next 6 weeks, getting to the point of painting and being ready for equipment installation. Will order once the paint is wet.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTRICK
I will be converting basement to a HT, and think the price and features of the Panaconic AE700U look good. I will build a new home (and a new theater) in about three years. Is the AE700 a good first move?
I own the AE-700 and from the small amount of playing around with it, it seems like a wonderful unit. (Still working on my theater, but very close)

Yes as others have said, wait for the new machines to come out since your theater is not close to being ready anyways.

Set things up for the specs of the AE-700 now such as throw distance and when your space is close to being finished, you can go with the AE-700 or the AE-900 or what ever it will be called upon its release. In a year or two, projectors are probably going to be significantly better and at a price point that is just as affordable as we are seeing today.

I say hold off on the purchase. Besides, it will give you more motivation to get your room complete if you don't have a way to watch movies. ;)

Craig

·
Registered
361 Posts
HTRick,

Actually, a good first pj for you would be my AE100 (still on the original bulb!). Had to tweak this thing to death and my eyes bled from reading this forum. PM me for a real good price (just kidding). Yes, AE700 would be a great first pj. Kind of reminds me of when Granpa used to ask us kids to "quityerbitchen" when we complained about having to take the bus to school. Of course he had to walk up hill (both ways). My has technology changed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The more I look, the more I think, that for the money of the bundled package at PS, this model with ceiling mount, projector, screen, and cables, seems like a great deal. I am assuming that they have bundled the screen with the projector as compatible together.

I will stand pat, though, and pull the PJ trigger when I am closer to needing it (walls ready for paint and carpet ordered).

Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.