AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my VCR. It worked fine yesterday but today when I put a tape in, the VCR will eject it right away. The display has always been really faint so I can't tell if the fault code is A2 or H2.

The service manual says H02 fault code is "Cassette tape is not wound up during tape unloading, except in Eject mode. Check the capstan motor drive circuit." Seems my issue is when the tape is being loaded, not unloaded... so not sure what to make of it.

Any ideas?

Here's a YouTube video I shot of this happening. Notice in the 4th attempt it's clear the VCR is trying to move the tape, but then gives up.

Thanks,
-Pete

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
If the display has dimmed, it may be inconclusive for reading error codes. "A2" is not an error: it simply indicates the VCR input is set to "Line Input 2". You can verify this by examining the display in a darkened room at night: press the channel up/down buttons and check if the indication changes from A2 to A1 or various channel numbers. If so, your tape eject issue is likely mechanical with no electronic error involved.

The AG1980 transport is a Rube Goldberg design with many possible failure points. Some are easily repaired, others require deep disassembly. Your video of the problem shows no issue with initial loading, other than eject being triggered at the end of the cycle. There may be a sensor failure, incorrect tension in the drivetrain, belt failure, or a jammed gear. The most common loading issue I've seen with these VCRs involves a large pulley located in a really tough spot underneath the transport mechanism: I leave the bottom cover of my own AG1980 removed so I can fiddle with that pulley when my VCR decides not to eject (the opposite of your problem).

An unreadable display may also indicate a power supply fault: this can cause random problems such as video degradation and load/eject jamming. The 1980 is a complex VCR with interlocking failure points that defy DIY diagnosis and repair: I'd suggest tracking down a good service tech. You may need to pack the VCR up and ship it if you don't have any techs available nearby (they're scarce these days).

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the display has dimmed, it may be inconclusive for reading error codes. "A2" is not an error: it simply indicates the VCR input is set to "Line Input 2". You can verify this by examining the display in a darkened room at night: press the channel up/down buttons and check if the indication changes from A2 to A1 or various channel numbers. If so, your tape eject issue is likely mechanical with no electronic error involved.

The AG1980 transport is a Rube Goldberg design with many possible failure points. Some are easily repaired, others require deep disassembly. Your video of the problem shows no issue with initial loading, other than eject being triggered at the end of the cycle. There may be a sensor failure, incorrect tension in the drivetrain, belt failure, or a jammed gear. The most common loading issue I've seen with these VCRs involves a large pulley located in a really tough spot underneath the transport mechanism: I leave the bottom cover of my own AG1980 removed so I can fiddle with that pulley when my VCR decides not to eject (the opposite of your problem).

An unreadable display may also indicate a power supply fault: this can cause random problems such as video degradation and load/eject jamming. The 1980 is a complex VCR with interlocking failure points that defy DIY diagnosis and repair: I'd suggest tracking down a good service tech. You may need to pack the VCR up and ship it if you don't have any techs available nearby (they're scarce these days).

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. I took the bottom cover off and shot some more video if it helps:

I do have another power supply ordered so hopefully that'll fix some of the issues.

The weird part is the VCR was working fine last week. I used it to capture 20 tapes with perfect quality. The issue just suddenly started happening a day later.

I also noticed the pinch roller isn't lowering...

-Pete

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Pressure roller mechanics on the left side need some lubrications.
There is metal shaft inside.
(1.video)
Its not work at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts