AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recorded Monday night's 2 hr episode of 24 with my Panasonic EZ17. When playing back I have 3 or 4 instances of no audio which lasts anywhere from about 1 minute to 5 minutes.

Either the recorder/disc is acting up or Fox/Comcast had a problem. Since I have not seen any postings about a cable or broadcast problem, could a recorder or disc go silent for a few minutes & than come back on? OK, anything is possible. But it does seem strange that sound just re-appears like nothing was wrong.

The video looks great. There is no pop or click in the audio, it just goes quiet for a while & then comes back on. I am using a DVD-RAM disc which has never caused a problem before.

Has anyone every experienced audio dropouts as described?

Is there anyway to check a RAM disc for such errors?

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
More than likely it was the broadcast, especially if you've never had this problem before and aren't having it anymore. Occasionally I've lost audio when playing a recorded DVD on my Pannys. In this case usually just scanning or even pausing the title then PLAY will restore the audio. In my case anyway it's not in the recording but just how it gets played back.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 /forum/post/15540053

I recorded Monday night's 2 hr episode of 24 with my Panasonic EZ17. When playing back I have 3 or 4 instances of no audio which lasts anywhere from about 1 minute to 5 minutes.

Either the recorder/disc is acting up or Fox/Comcast had a problem. Since I have not seen any postings about a cable or broadcast problem, could a recorder or disc go silent for a few minutes & than come back on? OK, anything is possible. But it does seem strange that sound just re-appears like nothing was wrong.

The video looks great. There is no pop or click in the audio, it just goes quiet for a while & then comes back on. I am using a DVD-RAM disc which has never caused a problem before.

Has anyone every experienced audio dropouts as described?

Is there anyway to check a RAM disc for such errors?

Perhaps a technician somewhere along the signal path made a mistake causing the audio outage. There are many possibilities.

Comparing recordings with those made in different regions may help isolate the problem.

Around 20/25 years ago I noticed some "anomalies" with our cable service. When I inquired I was told that atmospherical conditons, sunspots and eruptions, were the problem affecting cable network signal transmissions uplinked to and downlinked from satellites or with point to point signal transmissions. I was told these service anomalies are most common in February/March. I don't know if there was anything to this or if it was B.S.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have a couple Panny EZ48s with the digital tuners. I also have several older Panny models with hard drives, but no digital tuners.

I have the newer units receiving HD OTA signals and the weirdest thing happens sporadically. The sound for everything on the broadcast - background noise of cars, for example, and the soundtrack will come through just fine. However, the VOICES of the actors do not get recorded.

On the older units, hooked to my cable (Cox) for those shows, the sound comes through normally, including voices, on those episodes.

Then I tried taking a digital unit and connecting to my cable to get the digital transmissions that way. Sort of as a test, I recorded the HD channel signal (not the digital one) and one night when the other OTA machine didn't get the voices, neither did the machine hooked up to Cox.

Again, for that show, the sound through the normal cable transmission was fine.

So it's either that my digital units sometimes don't record the track with voices on it, or it's from the HD broadcast.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I can find out there was no problem with Fox or Comcast when I was recording. However the RAM disc I was using is one that previously caused a video problem. Previously washing the disc appeared to have cured that problem. But the same disc was used when having the audio problem. So at this point I'd have to figure the disc is the culprit.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean /forum/post/15547583

I have a couple Panny EZ48s with the digital tuners. I also have several older Panny models with hard drives, but no digital tuners.

I have the newer units receiving HD OTA signals and the weirdest thing happens sporadically. The sound for everything on the broadcast - background noise of cars, for example, and the soundtrack will come through just fine. However, the VOICES of the actors do not get recorded.

On the older units, hooked to my cable (Cox) for those shows, the sound comes through normally, including voices, on those episodes.

Then I tried taking a digital unit and connecting to my cable to get the digital transmissions that way. Sort of as a test, I recorded the HD channel signal (not the digital one) and one night when the other OTA machine didn't get the voices, neither did the machine hooked up to Cox.

Again, for that show, the sound through the normal cable transmission was fine.

So it's either that my digital units sometimes don't record the track with voices on it, or it's from the HD broadcast.

On remote press "DISPLAY".

Press "down" to "Audio".

Make sure "V. Surround Sound" = "Off".

I have "Dialog Enhancer" = "Off". I do not remember if that is necessary or not.

I got some of this information from the following thread to fix the "background sounds but no voices problem".

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...rding+hd+audio

1 - 6 of 6 Posts