AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck9 /forum/post/18183424

Panasonic plasma brightness 'problem' won't be fixed

Is it accurate for this CNET Australia article to refer to this issue as "plasma brightness" and "increasing brightness"?

haha.. there's actually an article that goes with it that I posted in the other topic earlier.

The video is actually funnier... the guy says at the end that you can just fix this whole problem by adjusting your brightness with your remote.

lol

·
Registered
394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/18184450

So Orta is a troublemaker

He sure is a nightmare for Panasonic, its fanboys and anyone who is on their payroll or make money selling Panny plasma TVs.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I hope this guy is reading comments about his statment he made. Hopefully they will retract or correct it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Really?! There are a lot of trouble makers in the net. Most world problems are cuz of them. And they hate when they are told they are troblemakers. Also, they have a weird condition where they demand the world be to their liking or vision and seldom are able to detect humor in its different shades. They are very angry!

The internet runs on hate! - Oliver, fanboy radio.

Peace, love and detachment from possesions! ; )

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I have been pretty quiet about this but i think I'm going to chime in here fwiw. I tend to agree with cnet here. While I have not seen a large sample of sets I have seen quite a few in store models plus my own. None of these sets have shown these signs at all far as I can tell and I'm pretty darn sure I'd notice this being as anal about image as I am.

The next issue I have with this doubling black issue is that the tests are claimed to be done with meters that cannot measure accurately down at the level needed to supply sufficient evidence.

Furthermore, Black on this set is for the most part created by turning off the pixel and that combined with the dark coating on the glass provides the black image. So How does off get brighter. The only way off could get brighter is if the coating on the screen was compromised. This is the most likely of scenarios of which NO one is going to admit to. One because they would be laughed of the forums and two because your not going to get a fix from the manufacturer for messing up the coating.

Anyway alot of people have PM'd me for what I think etc. There it is fwiw which probably isnt to much.

·
Banned
215 Posts
From my knowledge of what i've read the idle luminance is of concern from most people.Basicially blank input screen. They're not actually acknowledging anything programming wise. Lots of claims about the "Idle Luminance" and it's measurements. Somewhat over my head.

Anyway keep posting it's nice to read something positive for a change. And for the record I'm not noticing any change in my TV either. But I have to admit I'm very guilty of staring at that damn blank glowing screen
. ...And wondering what the future holds for my new panny.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike /forum/post/18186597

The next issue I have with this doubling black issue is that the tests are claimed to be done with meters that cannot measure accurately down at the level needed to supply sufficient evidence.

I think what's actually more troubling than the measured data are reports by those who perceived the problem and then found the thread on AVS whilst looking for answers. If the black level increased measurably ten fold but it was undetectable to the naked eye I doubt anyone would take issue.

Quote:

Furthermore, Black on this set is for the most part created by turning off the pixel and that combined with the dark coating on the glass provides the black image. So How does off get brighter.

I think I can speak for most when I say my pixels have never "turned off" to produce a black image. It has always displayed a level of luminance when displaying black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panaman88 /forum/post/18186726

From my knowledge of what i've read the idle luminance is of concern from most people.Basicially blank input screen. They're not actually acknowledging anything programming wise.

Several have stated that, on normal viewing material with no ambient light, the picture is soft and lacks depth. IR problems are apparent as well.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
according to Panasonic in order to achieve the low black levels it requires a lower minimum driving voltage for the pixel cells and as the TV ages the voltage needs to be increased in order to provide the best picture possible but the problem was they screwed up on when to increase this level and by how much to do so making it happen too soon resulting in lighter blacks at least for awhile. given more use of the TV over time the black levels will slowly fall back down as the phosphors age and its no longer a problem

at least that's how i understand the problem, I've looked at a few panny's at a local store and their blacks looked about the same as mine is right now that's only got 200 hours on it and those sets in the store had 3400 hours on them

I suppose only time will tell as the users on this forum have their plasmas that had the rise happen suddenly go back and measure the blacks again in 3-6 months after they've got some more hours of use logged onto the TV's

·
Banned
215 Posts
Interesting, Because I posted on the Black levels rising thread that I thought my blacks actually looked better than ever. But of course, I never thought they looked bad to begin with.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

Quote:

I have been pretty quiet about this but i think I'm going to chime in here fwiw. I tend to agree with cnet here. While I have not seen a large sample of sets I have seen quite a few in store models plus my own. None of these sets have shown these signs at all far as I can tell and I'm pretty darn sure I'd notice this being as anal about image as I am.

Furthermore, Black on this set is for the most part created by turning off the pixel and that combined with the dark coating on the glass provides the black image. So How does off get brighter. The only way off could get brighter is if the coating on the screen was compromised. This is the most likely of scenarios of which NO one is going to admit to. One because they would be laughed of the forums and two because your not going to get a fix from the manufacturer for messing up the coating.

Anyway alot of people have PM'd me for what I think etc. There it is fwiw which probably isnt to much.

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about if you think the pixels actually completely "turn off" to display black
Turning off a pixel means sending no electrical signal to it, i.e. 0 current. That is not the case. Pixels do not "turn off" when displaying black. If that was the case then all sets would have a near infinite, and immeasurably high contrast ratio.

·
Registered
19,820 Posts

Quote:

Exactly why are you trying to monitor idle luminance levels in a store? Is the store pitch black?

Quote:

False. The inexpensive DisplayLT can accurately measure the 12G Panasonics. Its low light sensitivity has been proven multiple times in the Calibration forums. You do not need a 4K Minolta LS-100 to measure a 12G Panasonic.

Quote:

I don't think you understand how plasma technology works. You might want to research plasma technology.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/18184450

So Orta is a troublemaker

Yeah, pretty sure it's Orta and that joker D-Nice who emailed CNet USA about the issue on behalf of troubled Panasonic owners.

I find it disappointing that most members of this forum (in no small part due to your and other knowledgable experts' contributions) seem to know significantly more about plasma technology than cnet australia's so-called experts.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/18192012

Exactly why are you trying to monitor idle luminance levels in a store? Is the store pitch black?

False. The inexpensive DisplayLT can accurately measure the 12G Panasonics. Its low light sensitivity has been proven multiple times in the Calibration forums. You do not need a 4K Minolta LS-100 to measure a 12G Panasonic.

I don't think you understand how plasma technology works. You might want to research plasma technology.

thats all fine and dandy, maybe i dont. What I do know is that most people wont be able to see the difference in a set that is suupposed to be .008-.006 and a set at .012. I also know for sure tha tat least some of the images around here are certainly not representative of .012. The images being used to show .012 that I have seen show more like .5

.012 is still incredibly dark next to most if not all LCD's out there.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike /forum/post/18192608

thats all fine and dandy, maybe i dont. What I do know is that most people wont be able to see the difference in a set that is suupposed to be .008-.006 and a set at .012. I also know for sure tha tat least some of the images around here are certainly not representative of .012. The images being used to show .012 that I have seen show more like .5

.012 is still incredibly dark next to most if not all LCD's out there.

You are truly clueless! My set, a 58" PZ800U, went from 0.008 brand new to 0.015 after 500 hours. I noticed a difference, as did my wife and friends. Picture quality is fantastic still, and better than pretty much all LCDs, however I paid hard earned $$$ for the deep black that is 0.008. Had I known that that deep black was only gonna last 500 hours (100 hours of which was my break-in period!), then I would've saved some money and gone for a Samsung plasma or spent some more money and gone for a Pioneer Kuro. The point is that I, like most other Panasonic customers, feel like Panasonic ripped me off!

And as D-Nice has stated, and as it has been proven in so many other threads, the EyeOne Display colorimeter is very capable of accurately measuring black levels, down to about 0.002 ftL, so stop using that lame argument.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts