AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i picked up a 37LZ85 a day ago and set it up last night. First thing i noticed was the so called buzzing noise. Now i was expecting a little bit of sound if i put my ear to the back but not this.... the sound these tvs make is close to that of these:

not a joke, you can easily hear the buzz from 10 feet away even with the volume up 1/3 of the way.

Hear for youself. I recorded this from 6 feet away, which is where i view from.

Youtube recording

Im going to send this off to panasonic and see what they say. Im not sure if i should return the set and exchange it for a sammy 32a650 or have a tech come out and see if it can be fixed....

As for the fix mentioned in the subject, i've found that keeping the backlight between 25-45 seems to reduce the sound a great deal.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Sounds like a lemon or some kind of problem that you need to see a return, exchange, or repair/replacement under warranty.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll exchange it if i can(werent many left when got it) but with so many people reporting about the buzzing sound it's seems likely i'll get stuck with another turd.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
just listened to that youtube audio clip, wow you wearn't kidding..that is an annoying sound. i know if that was me i wouldn't tolerate that.

i'd look at a different model or brand if i were you.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27 /forum/post/14286927

just listened to that youtube audio clip, wow you wearn't kidding..that is an annoying sound. i know if that was me i wouldn't tolerate that.

i'd look at a different model or brand if i were you.

No kidding, that's freaking terrible.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: i returned the first set to bestbuy. the manufacture date was april 08. they had one left in stock so i exchanged it, this one is made in feb 08.

this time i didnt even remove the protective plastic... good thing too because shock and awe this one buzzes as well. it's not quite as loud but still audible from 6 feet away, however the noise is a higher pitch.

im guessing this problem is due to cheap power supplies. shame really because the set handles motion better than any lcd tv i've seen.

Quote:
I have a 37lz800 with the same sound. Tech is coming tomorrow.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tech came check the tv service menu to see if everyone was ok. Told me I have to break the tv in more then the sound which is from the coils will decrease and if not they will make a case with panasonic.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatezeppelin /forum/post/14298648

Tech came check the tv service menu to see if everyone was ok. Told me I have to break the tv in more then the sound which is from the coils will decrease and if not they will make a case with panasonic.

sounds like an excuse to keep you from returning your tv so they dont lose a sale or a lazy tech.

i still have my second tv, was unable to return it today but i did stop at futureshop on the way home. they display their tvs at eye level so i listened in on the lz85. that one buzzes as well and it's on display 12 hours a day... probably for a good month or two by now. i really doubt the sound will go away.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
yeah i'd deffinately return it. i'm currently eyeing the 37" LG50 and Toshiba rv530 myself, The Panasonic lz85 was on the list untill i heard about the buzzing, i have sensitive hearing, and that buzzing would just drive me nuts!

Anyways i hope you find a good alternative nervx.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27 /forum/post/14299863

yeah i'd deffinately return it. i'm currently eyeing the 37" LG50 and Toshiba rv530 myself, The Panasonic lz85 was on the list untill i heard about the buzzing, i have sensitive hearing, and that buzzing would just drive me nuts!

Anyways i hope you find a good alternative nervx.

I got scared by Toshiba's buzzing sound else I would have bought the 32" even before learning about Panasonic IPS panels. There was a 700 buck deal a couple of weeks back.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think i'm going to pick up a 37a550 or 32a550/650 today depending on price and box size... (i transport in my car, the panny is a very tight fit)

i just hope it handles motion well and the blacks dont bleed and smear the the sonys.

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatezeppelin /forum/post/14290818

I have a 37lz800 with the same sound. Tech is coming tomorrow.

Funny....I own the TC-32LZ800 & mine is whisper quiet. Can't hear a thing when I'm an inch away. Sorry for your troubles because it's really a nive LCD.

Alex

·
Registered
2,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervx /forum/post/14300061

i think i'm going to pick up a 37a550 or 32a550/650 today depending on price and box size... (i transport in my car, the panny is a very tight fit)

i just hope it handles motion well and the blacks dont bleed and smear the the sonys.

the samsungs have great colors and blacks, but the only con is they have ****** speakers.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27 /forum/post/14304488

the samsungs have great colors and blacks, but the only con is they have ****** speakers.

as long as the blacks dont smear like sonys tv's i can live with the speakers. the pannys sound like the sound is coming out of a tin can anyway so i dont see it sounding much worse... crosses fingers

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatezeppelin /forum/post/14309948

At this point I don't know if I should return the tv, the buzzing sound is really annoying but I love everything else about this tv.

get the 37LZ85 for the same price. I havent heard any 37" Panny owner complaining about the noise. Maybe the 32" model has issues ........ Wouldnt know ... this is mere speculation

1 - 17 of 17 Posts