AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my comparison shopping down to a 42-inch Panasonic plasma. Here are the best deals I can find on the TVs I want:

$730 TH-42PX80U

$870 TH-42PZ80U

$930 TH-42PZ85U

I would really appreciate any feedback about which deal is the "best" one. I know that depends on a lot of factors, but I am hoping to hear what you folks have to say. Also, if any of you know of any better deals that include tax and shipping, I certainly wouldn't mind saving some money.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
.. sitting distance & possibly how your TV media is prioritized: cable/satellite or dvd or blu-ray, etc.?

shopping:

42PX80U; US Appliance; free shipping.

42PZ80U; B&H; match; free shipping.

42PZ85U; B&H; match; free shipping

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Viewing distance will be about 10 feet.

Viewing priorities will be:

1. PS3 games

2. Cable now, fiber optic soon

3. Blu-Ray

4. DVD

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
.. either PX80U or PZ80U depending on if you feel the extra 140 is worth it for 1080p. Though, from 10ft w/ that size, you probably will not notice the extra pixels from a PS3 or Blu-ray. A visit, if possible, to a local vendor (B&M) would help your decision. Its yours to make from here.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
With a $200 difference do yourself a favor and go with 42PZ85. Picture quality is very small btw each other, but the text looks sharper on a 1080p display.

Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a noticed a big difference in the text as well when comparing the 720p and the 1080p. Does the higher contrast ratio for the pz85 matter much? The picture on that one just looks so much nicer than the pz80, and I am assuming it's the contrast ratio.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTed19 /forum/post/15587955

I have a noticed a big difference in the text as well when comparing the 720p and the 1080p. Does the higher contrast ratio for the pz85 matter much? The picture on that one just looks so much nicer than the pz80, and I am assuming it's the contrast ratio.

Yep that's right. Well contrast is not a big difference among each other, but their is a small difference in blacks, but that shouldn't be the major decision among all three.

Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have decided on either the pz80 or the pz85 because I want the 1080p.

If contrast ratios don't matter that much, is there a compelling reason to get the pz85 instead of the pz80? If it's only a case of getting a tiny bit better blacks and PC connectivity for $60, I may or may not actually be compelled to go for the pz85.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Sitting 10 feet away from a 42" screen, you might as well for with the TH-42PX80U. If distance closer will change into the around 6 foot or less range, then one of the others. Even though the TH-42PZ85U has a higher contrast Ratio, wither the extra cost for that is worth it it questionable, but it would have a VGA port if that's something you need?!?!?!

Personally at 10 feet away, I'd be looking at least a 46" screen size or larger. I have a 50" TH-50PZ85u and sit just under 7 feet. Here's a good chart to look at for Screen Size to Viewing Distance to screen Resolution.
http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I should clarify the viewing distance. It will not exceed 10 feet, and there will be times when it is in the 4-6 foot range.

·
Banned
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTed19 /forum/post/15587615

I have my comparison shopping down to a 42-inch Panasonic plasma. Here are the best deals I can find on the TVs I want:

$730 TH-42PX80U

$870 TH-42PZ80U

$930 TH-42PZ85U

I would really appreciate any feedback about which deal is the "best" one. I know that depends on a lot of factors, but I am hoping to hear what you folks have to say. Also, if any of you know of any better deals that include tax and shipping, I certainly wouldn't mind saving some money.

Thanks in advance.

There is not much difference between Pz80U and PZ85U. Only difference is price. I got even lesser price for 42PZ80U from electronics-expo.com

There Tv is nearly $842 and u can pickup from store also or just buy online. So just go to that website and search it once.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTed19 /forum/post/15588180

I have decided on either the pz80 or the pz85 because I want the 1080p.

If contrast ratios don't matter that much, is there a compelling reason to get the pz85 instead of the pz80? If it's only a case of getting a tiny bit better blacks and PC connectivity for $60, I may or may not actually be compelled to go for the pz85.

I like the bezel design of the PZ85U more than the PZ80U. The PZ80U's lower bezel looks like it's frowning all the time, and the overall bezel design looks a little less upscale than on the PZ85U. I'm not sure if the PZ85U's claimed higher CR is noticeably better in the real world or not, but i'd still pick it over the PZ80U myself just because

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you're 10 feet away, I'd go with the px80u. If you feel you want 1080p, or can see the difference on a 42" at that distance (I can't), I'd do the pz85u for a little better PQ and PC input. I used to own the 42px80u and thought it was the best flat panel for the money and size.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie.Corbett /forum/post/15599277

If you're 10 feet away, I'd go with the px80u. If you feel you want 1080p, or can see the difference on a 42" at that distance (I can't), I'd do the pz85u for a little better PQ and PC input. I used to own the 42px80u and thought it was the best flat panel for the money and size.

Do not buy this TV for it's PC input.... unless you are definately going to use an RGB connection (i.e. from an old laptop of something). The primary reason is that it only has a few resolution settings for the PC input. You can use a DVI to HDMI connect from your pc if you have it and use that 3rd hdmi connection.

My reasons for going with the 85 were:

1) Slightly curved side edges to the set wich gives it a nicer overall look, in combination with the downward facing speakers.

2) A side HDMI and SD card slot rather than front facing ones. Nothing is worse than having cords sprouting from the front of the TV.

3) Improved contrast ratio - one of the forums had a posting of an online conversation with a tech from Panny stating that the 85 has a 30,000:1 contrast ratio with the CATS turned off. (CATS is BS dont use it it makes the set way too dim)

4) Price - for some reason the big box store where i got my tv had the 85 for $100 less than the 80. I live in Canada so everything is overpriced anyway. The 80 was retailing for $1499 and i got my 85 for $1399. So it was a no brainer. (note the other big box stores had the 80 going for 1299) so for the 100 difference it was worth it.

I sit about 7-9 feet away from the set - i would definately get a slightly larger size if you are going to be consistantly sitting 9ft away or further (46 even 50 if your budget allows), or settle for the x80 - you can't see the difference 720p v. 1080p at that range and screen size. Even 7ft is streatching it for a 42inch. Remember tho - the tv is going to look good no matter what!!!

Worst part about the set... the piano black finish is best dust collector in the entire house - I have to dust the thing at least once a day.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
If I were you I would move up to the 50" PX80 at 10ft away & it can be had for under $900.

But as above I would checkout the 720p / 1080p models at a store because if you have "great" eyesight a 720p set might bother you but for most people 720p is fine.

If comes down to the PZ80 vs PZ85 I'd go with the 85 if it's only a few $ more.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTed19 /forum/post/15587615

$730 TH-42PX80U

$870 TH-42PZ80U

$930 TH-42PZ85U

Thanks in advance.

42PX80U if 720P doesn't bother you.

42PZ85U if you want 1080p and a better image "out of the box".

·
Registered
544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrimmer /forum/post/15604041

Worst part about the set... the piano black finish is best dust collector in the entire house - I have to dust the thing at least once a day.

I don't seem to have any trouble with dust collecting on the Black Trim. Hell I clean in once every couple weeks on my TH-50PZ85u. I'm using the MONSTER screen clean and it does a good job, and I guess it's helping Repelling the dust from collecting all over it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts