AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just joined this forum, to try to get some answers on an old 40 inch projection TV I have. It's a 1982 Panasonic CinemaVision CT 4000. It was given to my wife years ago, and even though it worked, the Bose speakers were the only reason why I kept it. The picture was always a little fuzzy, but kept it anyway. My neighbor, who has a big screen projection, cleaned his bulbs, and mirrors, and showed me how to do mine. He was totally amazed at how nice my picture was after we got done cleaning everything. The bulbs had like an inch of gunk on them, and the one mirror was pretty dusty. But now, my picture rivals my 36" Zenith "regular" TV. I'm amazed at how nice the picture is, with just a coax, off a converter box, off 'rabbit ears'! I should hook up the RCA jacks, and see if it's better!

Anyway, my purpose of being on here, is to see if I can get an owner's manual, and/or maybe even the correct remote. I was able to buy a 'generic' remote from WalMart, and it works for turning it off/on, and volume, but I don't know if it has any menu functions, or closed captioning, being so old. I would also like to know if this set is actually worth any money. My neighbor seems to think so, since it works so good, and is 28 years old! It's in a nice wood cabinet, with space for a cable/sat box, and/or DVD player. If someone needs a picture, I can take one tomorrow.

I'm a 'car guy', and belong to numerous forums, depending on which of my cars I need help with. So, I decided to try my hand at electronics, of which I really don't know anything about. I can route, and hook up RCA, and S-Video cables, but that's really the extent of my knowledge of TV's. The new component cables are a mystery to me, so anything newer than that (like HDMI), and I'm completely lost.

All I wrote down from the back of the set, was the model: CT 4000, and the serial number: AZ2267.

If I'm in the wrong section, or even the wrong forum, I apologize. If I can get any help at all, like even another website to go, that handles vintage sets like mine, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
WOW! 65 people have viewed this, and no one knows anything about this TV? Maybe it's more rare than I think! I can't find anything, even in Panasonic's website, for vintage TV's. They have lots of "CT" model numbers, but they don't get above 3600. Could this one be a 'fluke'? Only a few made?

John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have taken some pictures, of the front, and back of the TV. I'm hoping that someone will remember this model, as I can not find ANY information at all on Panasonic's website.

I am editing this post, to include what I just found out. After being on hold forever with Panasonic, they have told me that this particular unit was manufactured in the UK. None of the US versions of projection TV's have the model number that start with "CT", all of the US versions start with "PT" (for projection TV).

I have since joined a vintage TV forum out of the UK, but they are not allowing me to post any threads, since I'm a 'foreigner', and not from the UK. I have also found out that this unit takes the TNQ1614 remote control. But, after seeing a picture of it, seems to just be a 'basic' remote, that just has volume, mute, and channel selectors. There is someone selling one on Ebay for $10.00 + $4.00 shipping, but the 'generic' remote I already have from WalMart, does the exact same things.

I'm also including more pictures of the back, and audio/video hook ups.

Again, if anyone knows anything about this, and can help, I would appreciate it. Basically, all I'm really needing now, is either a place to buy the owners manual, or a link for one I can download online. Panasonic told me that they have nothing I can download, and that I'd have to contact Panasonic UK. But, when I did, I had to lie, and say I'm from the UK, just so I can leave them a message. I don't know if they will even get back to me. On their website, I still can not find any PDF owners manual.

I'm beginning to think that this TV might be worth something, as rare as it seems to be.

John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not trying to be a "line jumper" here, but I'm posting a reply, to jump me back up. If you look at the last post, you will see that I have more information about the TV, along with more pictures.

Again, if anyone can help me find a manual, I would appreciate it! Better yet, if anyone also knows the rarity of this set (which I'm thinking it is!), I would also like to know!

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by propilotc182 /forum/post/19650084

I'm not trying to be a "line jumper" here, but I'm posting a reply, to jump me back up. If you look at the last post, you will see that I have more information about the TV, along with more pictures.

Again, if anyone can help me find a manual, I would appreciate it! Better yet, if anyone also knows the rarity of this set (which I'm thinking it is!), I would also like to know!

Thanks,

John

You mentioned some other Panasonic CT numbers in one of your posts. I would look at the manuals for those models as they may be part of the same family. For example Panasonic might make a PT44LC13, PT50LC13 and PT60LC13, and the difference is the screen size, and they are all covered in the same owners manual and service manual.

Also do searches on that NMX chassis number; -in tv-repair world sometimes the chassis number is as important as the model number.

I guess the difficulty of finding information is evidence that not many of them were sold.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for writing back! I was beginning to think NO ONE would!

Panasonic UK actually DID just send me the PDF file owners manual for the set! Unfortunately, there was nothing else in the e-mail, regarding production numbers. So, from what you're saying, I'm probably correct in assuming that it could be a pretty rare set. Not that I'm really interested in selling it, but it would be fun to see what something like this is worth. My neighbor seems to think that when it was new (1982), it probably sold for around $3,000.00, being a "new technology", especially back then. I don't know when projection TV's made their debut, but I'm thinking that mine was one of the first years to be produced.

Now, I just have to find a way to procure this info........

John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was able to finally get on the UK vintage TV website, and post a thread. Unfortunately, someone on there made me feel very embarrassed, as when you look at the one picture of the back of the set, it clearly states that it was made in Franklin Park, IL, approx. 55 miles away from me!

So, it was obviously made here, and not the UK. One person on the UK site said that from what he could decipher from the serial number, that either 5000, or 10000 units were possibly made. But, he was guessing. If anyone out there knows how to decipher Panasonic's serial numbers, and could let me know approx. how many were made, I would appreciate it.

I did call Panasonic back, and was able to order a 'hard copy' of the original owners manual, for only $9.15 after shipping, and tax. Unfortunately, there are no PDF file copies available on the internet. But, again, if you go on their website, and try to look up by the model number, the code "CT" ends at around 3600, not 4000. And, I'm guessing that those sets are 'tube' TV's, not projection units.

So, if the guy on the UK site is right, then he feels that is a large production number. So, it still begs the question of why there is no information on this TV on the internet AT ALL?!?!

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts