AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well last week I posted a thread asking whether or not is was worth upgrading my JVC XV-S500BK DVD player to the Panasonic CP72 5 Disc Changer. No one answered me so I got very antzy and just went to One Call and grabbed me one for $228 shipped - $30 Mail In Rebate = $198. The reason I decided to upgrade was the fact that I felt the JVC had a little to soft of a picture and no matter how much I turned the sharpness up I couldn't get it as sharp as I know DVD can get on my Toshiba 57H81. I received the Panasonic CP72 today only 2 days after ordering it from One Call and immediately hooked it up with my cheap thin component cables that originally came with the JVC. (New Acoustic Research Component cables coming tomorrow to make sure there is plenty of shielding and strong signal from DVD Player to HDTV). I started off by popping in Ice Age in and going to the chapter with the crazy weezle in it. The clarity, sharpness, and colors blew me away and it was verrrry close to a 1080i HD signal. As a I was going through chapters I decided to go in the setup and see what the picture settings were at and it was still in interlaced mode! I switched it to progressive mode and noticed a brighter, slightly clearer, and no visible scan lines. I found the best picture settings overall for FILM based DVD to be Normal and Auto 1. I also tried and MP3 CD and the mp3's sound almost CD quality at 160kbps and higher through the optical digital output. I also tried a standard SVCD and it loaded up instantly and even showed SVCD on the disc label! Perfect VCD, SVCD, KVCD playback and the player is very tolerant on variable bit rates and resolutions etc. I find the disc tray to open and close fairly quietly and the DVD load time is just as fast the JVC was which is under 5 sec. Moving between menus was very fast and responsive. I haven't had a chance to try the DVD audio out, but I am sure it is good also. The Dolby Digital and DTS through the optical output seem a little clearer and more slightly richer then my JVC was. I also tried Austin Powers In Goldmember on it and like everyone else with this player I couldn't rewind, fast forward, or pause with this DVD only. Does anyone know why? My final judgement is that the Panasonic CP72 is a big improvement from my JVC XV-S500BK or any JVC DVD player in overall sharpness and richness of colors. I also felt the CP72 puts out slightly clearer sound from DVDs through the optical output. The CP72 also has many more features overall including RANDOM MP3 playback and it shows the full MP3 filename on the TV screen which the JVC couldn't do either. I highly recommend this wonderful all around Panasonic CP72 DVD player, and at this time I don't think you can beat its video or audio performance for $198 shipped after rebate!!!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Great review. I say that because this is the player I'm getting and I like it when other people validate my decisions! :D

This is probably in the manual, but how is the resume on the player as far as movies and particularly on MP3's? My old DVD player doesn't have this and it a feature that is a great (if obvious) feature. Also, with mp3 playback, does it support any kind of playlists, and can you pick the next song to play while one is playing (same disc or other disc?) On random play, does it buffer the track, or is their a long pause while it switches discs and loads the song?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really sure on the MP3 playlist question. The resume does resume in the same spot on the DVD movie that you were at when you turned off the player. I don't think the resume works with MP3 playback. On RANDOM the pause is around 1 sec between tracks unlike my JVC which was almost 5 sec. I haven't tried multiple MP3 CDs to see if it buffers the song while it switches discs. Can anyone answer his MP3 playlist question? All I really cared for was RANDOM MP3 playback because I hated hearing the songs in alphabetical order before with the JVC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, very nice review.. I just bought this player, but still have it in the box. Considering weather or not to return it and exchange for the RP-82 which has the DCDi chip....

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Boen
Yes, very nice review.. I just bought this player, but still have it in the box. Considering weather or not to return it and exchange for the RP-82 which has the DCDi chip....
Both have DCDi.

·
Registered
189 Posts
One trait about the CP72 that annoys me to no end is that when you first power up the player, it will immediately begin playing the disk that is in a specific position in the carousel, and it is usually NOT the disk I want to play.

It then takes several tries on the STOP button to stop play before you can cue up your desired disk.

Frank

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I own a JVC XVS500BK ICOS(Intelligent Code Operating System) mod for a hard wired not software progressive scan, since my player will play *any* disc in the world. I doubt you have your DVD player that blows everyone elses out of the water *thinking* can play a anamorphic PAL with x, y, scaling on only PAL discs.

For Region 1 only to zoom up the pic and I can make zoom icon disapeer with my Toshiba SD-4800 With DVD-A, but in your *mind* that won't produce any satifaction for you either.

A good reviewer doesn't bash another companies product like you did I think it was very *unprofessional* of you to do so.

In my reviews you never see me acting unprofessionaly like you did. I just tell people what my new player can do, that a previous model couldn't do; that makes my reviews more professional than yours!

Everybody has their own opinion you made me *defend* my own opinion of my JVC XVS500BK, there is where your review went bellyup! IMHO

·
Registered
12 Posts
Frank_K mentioned "an annoying trait" of the player. There is a way around this (at least on the RP82) so give it a try. Instead of hitting the power button and then the open/eject button, just hit open/eject. The unit will power on and the current disc will be ejected & not read.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hob,

I never said I was a professional reviewer like you must think you are, but my whole intention of my CP72 review was to state that it does BLOW away the JVC XV-S500BK in video quality, audio quality and features for only $40 more. True, the XV-S500BK does have an excellent zoom(Which on factory models the zoom symbol can't be removed which makes it worthless) and plays PAL DVDs, but if you have a widescreen HDTV and you live in Nort America (Region 1) then you have no need at all for that worthless zoom and that fact that it plays PAL DVDs. I actually found the CP72's one step zoom to look pretty good on a 27" 4:3 TV. If you are happy with the less sharp, less vibrant picture of the XV-S500BK and really need the zooming(And love seeing the zoom icon in the middle of the picture) and play PAL DVDs, then more power to you. Just don't go bashing me telling me I am not professional when I had no means of being professional, and my means are to be truthful and to get the point across. My point being that the CP72 is TRULY SUPERIOR to the XV-S500BK in every aspect of picture quality, audio quality, and features minus the excellent zoom of the JVC that people with widescreen HDTVs should never use anyways.

·
Registered
27,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hurtz777
but if you have a widescreen HDTV and you live in Nort America (Region 1) then you have no need at all for that worthless zoom and that fact that it plays PAL DVDs.
I live in region 1 and have plenty of use for a DVD player that plays discs from other regions, including those in PAL format. I find my region-free player to be an invaluable asset.

It is clear that there are plusses and minuses to both players. Each one is a winner in its respective field (the CP72 for dedicated region 1 playback, and the JVC for multi-region playback). This just validates my belief that it is best to own two DVD players, one for dedicated region 1 content and one for discs from the rest of the world.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JoshZ,

That is a good statement. If you do need multi region then 2 dedicated DVD players would be the way to go. Why would you want to sacrifice video and audio quality just to have multi region when you could have a multi region dvd player and a CP72 for video audio quality REGION 1 discs?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Hurtz,

Nice review. I appreciate a good reiview that compares and contrasts two models. If you're not able to do this without getting flamed by HOB, then what is the point of these forums. I guess we'll just all have to say "Well my DVD player is really good, but I can't say if its any better than any other player on the market."

I may be new at this forum, but I've already learned to avoid certain members' posts like the plague. All they try and do is cause trouble, and some are the biggest hippocrates I've ever seen.

Keep up the good work with you unproffessional reviews. They are exactly the reason I come to places like this.

C

·
Registered
881 Posts
Hurtz,

You just hurt my JVC's feelings and now I'm going to have to send it to therapy where it'll probably blame it's father for everything. Thanks a lot you knucklehead. What's your address so I can send you the bill?

Just messin' :D

I do own a JVC but am secure enough in knowing that the minute I bought it I should have my expectations set that there's always something better out there.

I tend to agree with C Hall on this one. If you can't express your own opinions, then we're all toast. People need to realize that it's just a certain point of view being expressed. Which reminds me... my Dad always used to say; "Son, opinions are like [blank]holes (censored for those that are sensitive to that kind of language), everyone's got one and they all stink!"

Maybe I should go through therapy, eh?

I hope you enjoy your new player. Wait, what am I saying? I KNOW you're enjoying your new player!

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
27,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ELB_III
You just hurt my JVC's feelings and now I'm going to have to send it to therapy where it'll probably blame it's father for everything. Thanks a lot you knucklehead. What's your address so I can send you the bill?

Just messin' :D

I do own a JVC but am secure enough in knowing that the minute I bought it I should have my expectations set that there's always something better out there.

I tend to agree with C Hall on this one. If you can't express your own opinions, then we're all toast. People need to realize that it's just a certain point of view being expressed. Which reminds me... my Dad always used to say; "Son, opinions are like [blank]holes (censored for those that are sensitive to that kind of language), everyone's got one and they all stink!"
Now you've done it, you've just insulted my a**hole! How dare you? I'm going to have to take it to therapy.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by srgilbert

This is probably in the manual, but how is the resume on the player as far as movies and particularly on MP3's?
Push the "position memory" button and it will remember the settings and location on up to five dvds (just like the RP-82). You can even take the discs out of the player and put them back in later.

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank_K
One trait about the CP72 that annoys me to no end is that when you first power up the player, it will immediately begin playing the disk that is in a specific position in the carousel, and it is usually NOT the disk I want to play.

It then takes several tries on the STOP button to stop play before you can cue up your desired disk.
There are a couple of ways around this. With the power off you can hit either the "disc exchange" or open/close" button. This powers up the unit and opens the tray. Then you can rotate the tray to the get the disc you want in the "play" position (the left hand front space).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Z
I live in region 1 and have plenty of use for a DVD player that plays discs from other regions, including those in PAL format. I find my region-free player to be an invaluable asset.

Sorry, slightly off-topic newbie question here, but I've been dying to ask it and you gave me an opening:

Why would one want a region-free player? The reasons that I can think of are that certain regions are cheaper than others and some titles may only be released in some regions.

What else?

As an American currently interested in domestically available movies, is there a reason to get a region-free player?

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sometimes the production quality, and encoding quality, of DVDs from other regions beats the pants off of Region 1.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
my whole intention of my CP72 review was to state that it does BLOW away the JVC XV-S500BK in video quality, audio quality and features
That was your first mistake. Your thread should have been titled
"Panasonic CP72 Blows JVC XV-S500BK AWAY!!! (except for Hob's JVC XVS500BK ICOS(Intelligent Code Operating System) mod for a hard wired not software progressive scan, that can play a anamorphic PAL with x, y, scaling on only PAL discs.)
Quote:
As an American currently interested in domestically available movies, is there a reason to get a region-free player?
Good question, what I'm curious about is how do you get DVD's from other regions (affordable) and are there any legal issues surrounding this? Is it legal to import these discs into the US? If this isn't an issue, then why have region coding at all?
Quote:
I may be new at this forum, but I've already learned to avoid certain members' posts like the plague. All they try and do is cause trouble, and some are the biggest hypocrites I've ever seen.
Amen to that! I just hope that if I ever do that, you guys will call me out on it. Like if I were to accuse people who watch G or PG rated movies of being pedophiles, and then post in a thread stating my favorite children's movie, someone would put my in my place. Hypothetically speaking of course.

:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zeitgeistsfo
Frank_K mentioned "an annoying trait" of the player. There is a way around this (at least on the RP82) so give it a try. Instead of hitting the power button and then the open/eject button, just hit open/eject. The unit will power on and the current disc will be ejected & not read.
That's what I do with my RP82 as well. In fact, that's how I always power it on now.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.