AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to order but need some last minute help.

Due to out of stock of the Panasonic DVD-RP82, the salesman is recommending the DVD-CP72K. He says its virtually identical except for the changer and lack of coax audio out on the CP72. When I compare features on the Panasonic web site, I see that the DVD-RP82 has the following additional features the DVD-CP72 lacks.

(1) 4:4:4 Signal Processing (CP72 does not, RP82 does)

(2) Gamma Correction (CP72 does not, RP82 does)

(3) Digital Re-Master Processing (CP72 does not, RP82 does)

(4) DVD/CD Text Display (CP72 does not, RP82 does)

What does 4:4:4 Signal Processing do that makes for a visual difference? Likewise for the Gamma correction?

Has anyone compared the two players? Comments?

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been trying to figure out the same thing... I also found some of your same comparasons, and one other thing.. according to http://www.dcdi-video.com the 82 has the DCDi which the 72 does not (nothing about this on the Panasonic web site or on the unit itself on the floor model I saw at the local retailer)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I read the thread and it appears someone has to open the CP72 and report on its contents. Its possible that the two different firmware implementations can generate two results on the same hardware. That thread quotes Panasonic as saying the RP82 does 4:4:4 signal processing while the CP72 does not. It seems the RP82 is a rare breed of player and few places are carrying it. Pricing the CP72 attractively, with a rebate, is not going to help the RP82 gain favor with many retailers, IMHO. Personally, I don't like a rotating tray. They have the potential for being a mechanical kludge. I would prefer the RP82 and that remains my first choice, unless I read something that changes my mind.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
If you do a search on this forum, you'll find at least a dozen threads on this subject. There are a few things that you can rely on however:

1. The Panasonic website is usually wrong in their specifications listing.

2. Both players have the FLI2200 chip with DCDi. It is Panasonic's policy not to advertise someone else's technology.

3. Neither player has gamma adjustment

Regardless of whether they have the same video DACs (and I believe they do), I've seen both in action and the video quality is indistinguishable. Make your choice based on the other differences (ie: color, changer vs. single disc, and optical only vs. coaxial + optical)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.