AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably an isolated incident, but i thought Id share.

I went to calibrate a Panasonic TCP60GT30 for a client today. I looked at it for about .02371 seconds, and immediately knew something was wrong. The black levels were super high. The client has a Denon AVR with everything passing through via HDMI. The black background (with the DENON logo in white) was light grey. HMMMM....

I checked the clients settings (he found settings on CNET), and everything looked normal. it was in CUSTOM, with minor tweaks

-HDMI/RGB range...good

-Denon AVR has picture controls, but they were fine (I even plugged straight into the TV, problem still there)

-Checked the SM, everything still factory (thought that maybe he raised ALLCUT for some reason)

OK, so now Im like WHAT THE HECK? Did some Googling, found nothing, so I start playing with a few things. If I switched picture modes, (from CUSTOM). The problem went away. No problems with GAME, STANDARD, or VIVID, but THX, CINEMA, and CUSTOM all had elevated blacks. So I start playing around some more, only to discover that WARM2 was the culprit. There are 2 pics attached. The pic with the normal looking screen was WARM1, and the grey screen is WARM2. Crazy huh? He bought the TV from Panasonic directly, so they are going to investigate, and probably repair it or give him a new TV. Ill post as the story unfolds.

·
Banned
432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoostil /forum/post/0

This is probably an isolated incident, but i thought Id share.

I went to calibrate a Panasonic TCP60GT30 for a client today. I looked at it for about .02371 seconds, and immediately knew something was wrong. The black levels were super high. The client has a Denon AVR with everything passing through via HDMI. The black background (with the DENON logo in white) was light grey. HMMMM....

I checked the clients settings (he found settings on CNET), and everything looked normal. it was in CUSTOM, with minor tweaks

-HDMI/RGB range...good

-Denon AVR has picture controls, but they were fine (I even plugged straight into the TV, problem still there)

-Checked the SM, everything still factory (thought that maybe he raised ALLCUT for some reason)

OK, so now Im like WHAT THE HECK? Did some Googling, found nothing, so I start playing with a few things. If I switched picture modes, (from CUSTOM). The problem went away. No problems with GAME, STANDARD, or VIVID, but THX, CINEMA, and CUSTOM all had elevated blacks. So I start playing around some more, only to discover that WARM2 was the culprit. There are 2 pics attached. The pic with the normal looking screen was WARM1, and the grey screen is WARM2. Crazy huh? He bought the TV from Panasonic directly, so they are going to investigate, and probably repair it or give him a new TV. Ill post as the story unfolds.

You can't calibrate 3D with a puck, can you?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober205 /forum/post/20793070

To answer the question, no.

What does 3D have to do with this thread?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
edit to above - yes you can. You just have to tri pod mount the puck and use it as a non contact meter.

·
Banned
432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 /forum/post/0

To answer the question, no.

What does 3D have to do with this thread?

He is calibrating a 3D television. I simply thought a higher-end piece of equipment was needed that can measure through the 3D glasses. I think Kevin Miller said this and that pucks are not adequate. Excuse me.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober205 /forum/post/20793070

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober205 /forum/post/20793125

He is calibrating a 3D television. I simply thought a higher-end piece of equipment was needed that can measure through the 3D glasses. I think Kevin Miller said this and that pucks are not adequate. Excuse me.

"Excuse me"???? My post was not a derogatory comment on your question so please don't take it that way.

A puck can measure through 3D glasses as well as anything else. Accuracy remains relative. If you could reference Kevin's statement it might help.

·
Banned
432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 /forum/post/0

"Excuse me"???? My post was not a derogatory comment on your question so please don't take it that way.

A puck can measure through 3D glasses as well as anything else. Accuracy remains relative. If you could reference Kevin's statement it might help.

You misjudged my tone. I did not mean it that way either. Oops...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts