AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, been a long time since I've been here but I am having an issue with this TV. I purchased it from my girlfriend to help her upgrade to an LCD and I'm using it as a main TV for now. One of the things that sold me on it was the excellent picture quality, especially during DVD's. However, ever since having hooked it up in my living room, I am noticing an uneven distortion of the picture, which I never noticed before, and surely would have considering how bad it is. I have googled this and tried looking here but it is hard to pinpoint the name for such a phenomenon. The best way I can describe it is when watching a movie/program that is letterboxed, the black bar near the top left of the screen actually curves downward, so the horizontal black lines no longer appear completely parallel. Now, my roommates previous TV (a crappy Sanyo CRT) made news/sports tickers form into a downward slope from right to left (to where you couldn't read all the text on the left most side.) Assuming this was a problem with the TV, I suggested he take it back, and I replaced it with the Panny. However, this issue with the black bar having curvature has led me to believe it is something else. I get a bit of curvature no matter what the source (my video game menus, standard cable, etc.)

One possible issue, my roommate has some fairly low budget large tower speakers hooked up near the TV, I spread them as far as I could (about 2.5 feet) and I am willing to bet they aren't shielded. When I place them right near the TV I immediately get the green/weird colors from the magnets. I tried placing one of the speakers away from the TV for about a minute to see if it would fix the curve and it didn't. I am not sure if the effects from speaker magnets take longer to dissipate. Other than this, I am at a loss. I do not believe there was any significant bumping during moving (moved it a short distance.) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated; I can give more information as needed, and possibly a picture, I just have to get to bed. Again, apologize if this is a redundant question, I am a bit of a novice in this area but I know that many of you here are extremely knowledgeable. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I have the 34" version and have terrible geometry also. Also the set seems have too much contrast no matter how much I turn down the brightness or picture settings. DVD movies are definately the sets strongest point. I will probably get it calibrated this year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.... did you notice this since purchase or has it slowly degraded over time? This tv seems to have done it overnight so I'm worried I may have damaged it. I will try moving it away from the speakers some time this weekend and see if that helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^ How did you get into the Service Menu for your Panasonic? If you don't know what you are doing, could you make changes that are potentially irreversible, making the situation worse? That's what has made me hesitant before.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
There is directions in the Panasonic wx15 thread to get into the service menu. I never messed with any of the numbers. I will probably get it ISF calibrated. I have asked a few folks on the forum how to adjust the numbers and they just told me to trial and error it and that seems crazy to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.