AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a Panny CT-32HX40 HDTV (4x3). The geometric distortion is terrible. Read some references to this problem but can't find the posts. I've had two service guys out. The first one didn't know anything about the set. He ordered the manual (he was the authorized Panasonic service provider). The second guy knew what he was doing. He tried all the service menu adjustments but nothing helped. He said Panasonic's fix is placing magnets around the picture tube. Must be done in the shop. This TV is just over 1 month old. He recommended getting another brand but that won't work. This is the only 32" HDTV that will fit into my Entertainment Center (you guys know about the WAF). I don't think I'll have any trouble having the TV replaced but is this a cronic problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks

TT

------------------

Tom Taylor

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Had the CT-32HX40 replaced by a CT-32HX41 (2001 model?). Same problem but all the bowing is in the upper half of the tube this time with the left corner 3/8" higher than the right corner (when viewing letterboxed content).

Service tech says there are no adjustments to fix this, you can only move the distortion from top to bottom or balance it so that both the top and bottom are curved. This adjustment is performed by rotating the rings on the neck of tube.

Very disapointing. Anyone know of a way to fix this?

Thanks,

------------------

Tom Taylor

·
Registered
653 Posts
It is too bad you are having so much trouble. I just got a CT-32HX41 (I waited for the new model once I heard about it a few months ago) and I am very happy. I also got the unit becuase it was the best digital/HDTV that could fit in my entertainment center.

There is only the smallest barrel distortion at the top of the monitor and honestly the only time I ever notice it is when I have my ReplayTV on screen menus up. Even then is is so small as to be no problem. I has never affected letterboxed or squeezed content at all.

You can try yet another replacement or look at the non-digtal sony Wega. They make one with speakers that are smaller and is a very colse match size wise to the Panasonic Tau you got.

Good luck.

------------------

M Aronoff out

[email protected]

Calabasas, CA

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. The Sony won't fit. I've got 32" width available and the Tau's 31.9". I just wish it had some adjustment capability.

------------------

Tom Taylor

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.