AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know is the Panasonic CT-32HX41 does the 'vertical squeeze' for widescreen material?


Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by drewba:
Yes, it squeezes both anamorphic DVDs and 1080i material automatically.
So this means if I connect my DVD player through the component plugs and tell my DVD player that I have a widescreen monitor, it will automatically show a widescreen picture with an anamorphic DVD? Do I have to do anything else or adjust any other settings?


Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts
Without having actually seen the set do it, that is my understanding. Set the DVD player to 16x9 and forget about it. I've seen that set displaying an anamorphic DVD and it looks very nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
I have that TV and a P/S DVD player (Pioneer DV-37). The squeeze is automatic. Tell the player you have a 4x3 TV and it will show anamorphic DVDs widescreen (letterboxed). If you are viewing non-anamorphic DVDs, you might have a choice of the following: a) vertical stretch, b) pan & scan or c) widescreen (letterboxed). Depends on what DVD player you have and what aspect ratio options are available. In either case, the PQ is excellent.


Hope this helps.


------------------

Tom Taylor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Taylor:
Tell the player you have a 4x3 TV and it will show anamorphic DVDs widescreen (letterboxed).

Hope this helps.
If i tell my DVD player on any TV to letterbox a anamorphic DVD it does. What advantage does the 'squeeze' give me? I assumed if the DVD player was sending a widescreen image, it would automatically adjust. Am I wrong?


Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts
The advantage that a squeeze gives you is this:


When you set a DVD player to 4x3, it removes every 4th line from an anamorphic DVD signal to create a letterbox image to send to the TV. Removing these lines is what gives the image the correct aspect ratio.


If the DVD is set to 16x9, it sends the anamorphic signal through without removing these lines. A TV that is capable of supporting the squeeze (such as the CT-32HX41) detects the anamorphic signal and compresses the picture to get the correct aspect ratio. Thus, the aspect ratio is the same as if the picture was letterboxed by the DVD player, but it includes 33% greater vertical resolution. This results in a more detailed picture and far fewer artifacts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by drewba:
A TV that is capable of supporting the squeeze (such as the CT-32HX41) detects the anamorphic signal and compresses the picture to get the correct aspect ratio.
This is exactly what I thought it was. BUT, when I set the TV to 16x9 I get a vertically stretched image, not a squeezed image. Is there some setting I am missing to tell it to squeeze? The instruction manual doesn't even mention this feature.


Joe

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts
Well then, you've got me. I seem to remember that when the predecessor (CT-32HX40) to your set came out, some older DVD players weren't properly triggering the anamorphic squeeze. The only options that I can think of at this point are to try another DVD player and to check the menu on the TV to see if there is a setting for aspect ratio, Automatic/4x3 or something to that effect. Maybe the dealer that you bought your set from would loan you a DVD player to try.


One other thought, how do you have the DVD player hooked up to the TV? Maybe it only works on the component inputs and not s-video (I don't know, just a guess.)


[This message has been edited by drewba (edited 09-19-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
>>When you set a DVD player to 4x3, it removes every 4th line from an anamorphic DVD signal to create a letterbox image to send to the TV. Removing these lines is what gives the image the correct aspect ratio.

If the DVD is set to 16x9, it sends the anamorphic signal through without removing these lines.<<


--What happens when you tell the P/S dvd player 16:9 and send the signal to a 4:3 SDTV? Still get a letterboxed picture.. but what happens to those lines that would have otherwise been removed?


I've been contemplating returning my SD set for a digital one like the 32HX41 to use my P/S dvd player to its fullest.


I am having a hard time understanding what that extra $1k will buy me. Do I give up PQ with analog cable in order to get 33% better PQ on anamorphic DVDs?


Will the PQ of the anamorphic dvds be *that* much better (on a 32" set) than my sdef set? Or is the improved PQ really noticeable only on a big screen RPTV?




------------------

--speedy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by drewba:
Maybe it only works on the component inputs and not s-video (I don't know, just a guess.)
I am hooked up through component 1.


Any more ideas??


Joe

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by speedlever:


--What happens when you tell the P/S dvd player 16:9 and send the signal to a 4:3 SDTV? Still get a letterboxed picture.. but what happens to those lines that would have otherwise been removed?


The picture would appear tall and skinny. All the lines of resolution would be there, but the displayed aspect ratio would be wrong.


Quote:
Originally posted by speedlever:


I am having a hard time understanding what that extra $1k will buy me. Do I give up PQ with analog cable in order to get 33% better PQ on anamorphic DVDs?


I think that the picture quality on cable is a subjective thing. Some people reportedly prefer the picture of analog TV's with cable or DirecTV since there is no line doubler. Not having spent any time with a digital TV and a good cable or DirecTV signal, I can't comment.


Quote:
Originally posted by speedlever:


Will the PQ of the anamorphic dvds be *that* much better (on a 32" set) than my sdef set? Or is the improved PQ really noticeable only on a big screen RPTV?

I have manually squeezed my 36" set using the service menu and I can say that there is a definite difference in picture quality.




[This message has been edited by drewba (edited 09-20-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Thanks, drewba.


You're absolutely right about the tall skinny images with 16:9 set in the RP91. I just happened to have Rocky and Bullwinkle anamorphic DVD and tossed it in for a test. Otoh, I can not tell any difference between 4:3 pan and scan and 4:3 letterbox settings on the RP91 and a conventional TV.



Thanks for your thoughts about digital sets vs analog.




------------------

--speedy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Drewba,


What did you mean when you stated: "I have manually squeezed my 36" set using the service menu"?


Thanks,


------------------

Tom Taylor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts
Most sets have the ability to adjust the picture height using the service menu. I ordered the service menu from Panasonic to figure out which settings I would have to change. I then adjust those settings so that the picture is compressed to the proper 16x9 aspect ratio. It takes me 3-5 minutes to make the changes before I watch the movie and 3-5 after.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top