AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a Fan in this HDTV? I am about to order one and I would hate to discover it has a noisy fan. Any other comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
780 Posts
No fan. Its a great set, but be aware it is not compatible with the RCA DTC-100 even with a transcoder. Any of the other STBs will work fine. Even though it's buggy, the Sony HD100 is a particularly good match with it's 480i/1080i variable mode. Thats because the CT34WX50 settings profiles are by format not by input, so it will change profiles when viewing 480i material .vs. 1080i on the same input.

Tony

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Mark,

Tony's right on the mark, I've got the same combo and it works great. Ofcourse the Sony has the fan noise to compensate for the quietness of the Panny.

·
Super Moderator
21,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have fanless HD-100's- I removed the fan and its circuit board and operate without cover, and now with 1/2 hour dropout fixed, I love them.

Actually I ordered the Pan HDTV from 6th Av Electronics last Sunday, setup on a stand delivered to my house for $3600.00 plus tax. When the delivery arrived, they refused to assemble the stand, so I refused the delivery. They would not credit me for the delivery charge. I went to a more reputable vendor and got a lower price- I hope to get new TV Monday.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Panasonic TU-HDS20 is also a good match. The fan is quieter (they also have a "hot fix" if you choose to get it) and it turns off when the unit is off. The menu speed and other problems are going to be addressed some time this month with a download from DirecTV. I have been very pleased with it. It has a "Hybrid" mode where it will do the following:

480i -> 480p

480p -> 480p

720p -> 1080i

1080i -> 1080i

It will also has a "native" mode and individual 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, modes where it will up/down convert the input signal to eh selected output accordingly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting to see Mark's issues with delivery of the 34WX50. I'm on my third set and it is the charm. Blowing me away with it's capabilities

(regardless of the evil, 16X9 direct view related threads suggesting you can't see the HD benefits from farther than 4 feet away!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.