AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a glow or haloing effect around bright objects on a dark background. It seems to be much more prominent on some programming than on others. The most extreme case is during the program CSI, watching OTA (Dish 6000, 8VSB). But it is also noticeable on some other programming through other sources. Any ideas on a possible cause/cure?

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
No causes or cures but let's get you 1 response, after 1 response comes another. You have a good post, but I am a 1 year owner of a F-38310 HDTV, I have never had that problem.

I calibrate my own system to my own perception of what it should look like. I write it down and start on the next calibration. Keep using your contrast, color, sharpness, black level, and facial tint until you get it right. If nothing works then it's time for a service call.:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Panasonic direct views are notorious for being overdriven. Of course, they aren't the only ones but in my experience as a calibrator, they are one of the worst. Every direct view Panasonic I have metered for light output has run between 60 and 80 ft. Lamberts from the factory. Properly adjusted, they should range somewhere between 30- 35 ft. L. This is most likely the main problem.

Another co-conspirator is scan velocity modulation. This usually causes a ghosting effect around objects and a loss of edge definition. I believe that you can go to the advanced menu option and either turn this feature off or adjust it down in increments.

You have three options: 1)using a paused high contrast image from a DVD, adjust your contrast way down until the glowing goes away or is minimal. Then adjust your brightness(black level) up to where dark objects are visible but not hazy. 2) purchase the AVIA or Video Essentials test DVD and adjust your controls per their instructions and test patterns. 3) Find a local ISF certifed tech in your area to properly calibrate your TV using test equipment.

For more info about an ISF tech in your area visit http://www.imagingscience.com or call 561.997.9073.

Good Luck

·
Registered
118 Posts
gcooper,

I have a 34WX50 and do not notice the "haloing effect" you refer to. However, as 4cinema suggests, calibrating with AVIA or Video Essentials may solve your problem. I have had my set for 18 months now and remember that out of the box the picture was quite bad. I immediately calibrated with AVIA and have been happy with the picture ever since. Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree with Mr. Morgan. Properly adjusted the Panasonic does have a very nice picture. All in all, it was an excellent choice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.