AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I wonder what this means in a practical sense.

Spending less on plants does not necessarily imply (to me anyway) that they will be cutting R&D in plasma technologies. Although, having said that, I don't immediately see how you could do one without the other. After all, when technology advances, often so must the manufacturing processes in order to keep up.

·
Vendor
32,730 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
people are freaked about the economy, you have governments in the UK and California talking banning Flat Screen TV's because of Energy consumption(vs. say, building some more Nuke plants) and for the next 2 yrs a similar philosophically minded Govt. taking over in the USA, the investor class and business have no idea what will happen and are sitting on their funds, freaking out.

Panasonic can't confidently invest that type of money right now, with all the uncertanties. From their products being banned or highly regulated, to the economy in general and the consumers having the $$$ to buy an expensive TV.

that said, Best Buy and Circuit City are both doing 36 month Interest Free Financing on TV's over $1k, so Credit/risk can't be too bad

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel /forum/post/15535469

I wonder what this means in a practical sense.

Spending less on plants does not necessarily imply (to me anyway) that they will be cutting R&D in plasma technologies. Although, having said that, I don't immediately see how you could do one without the other. After all, when technology advances, often so must the manufacturing processes in order to keep up.
Amagasaki 3 (plant #5) is to be spun up over several years to reach full capacity in 2010 and essentially double total output to almost 24 million panels.Given the present economy that capacity will probably far out pace the demand so 800 million of these cuts essentially just delay that ramp up.

The other 700 million is cut from LCD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Businessweek /forum/post/0

The planned spending cuts won't be huge, and they appear mainly aimed at delaying a production ramp-up until the economy starts to rebound, which some tech analysts say could come in 2010.

For the next fiscal year through March 2010, Panasonic said company would reduce its investment in the Amagasaki plant by 25% to 210 billion yen ($2.3 billion) from 280 billion yen ($3.1 billion). It will also slash spending on a plant for liquid-crystal displays that it runs jointly in the western Japanese city of Himeji with Hitachi and Toshiba, lopping off by 22% to 235 billion yen ($2.6 billion) from 300

billion yen ($3.3 billion).
http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...nasonic_a.html

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Given the world economic crisis, 20% isn't bad. I would'nt sweat too much about this. Panasonic is still a big player and being a little more cautious is a sensible business decision.

·
Vendor
32,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpniner /forum/post/15535918

people are freaked about the economy, you have governments in the UK and California talking banning Flat Screen TV's

I guess this would be like the CA emissions laws. New energy consumption laws, except how would that be regulated? Cars are easy they have to be registered. Tv's can be bought in other states and brought back, ect. ect.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I wish this economy would pick back up!!!!

It seems like its been like this forever.

luckily the company I work for is still doing ok.

We actually had the best quarter ever last quarter. Which say alot considering how the economy is.

Unfortunatly I work for a branch of GE, and they are crazy about growth.

We didn't grow as expected so they consider us not doing so good even though we just produced and made a bigger profit than we ever had before.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:

Best Buy and Circuit City are both doing 36 month Interest Free Financing on TV's over $1k

That's just great; if you can't really afford to buy a FP TV... charge it.
Isn't this how we got ourselves into this economic mess to begin with?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity /forum/post/15537163

could not have said it any better, we are MAXED OUT

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

Quote:

optivity, you are striking at the core of our economic problems. Far too much wealth has been funneling upward. Trickle down is dowing exactly that, trickling down.

A wealthy person doesn't need 10000 plasmas, even in a large estate.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/15537075

I guess this would be like the CA emissions laws. New energy consumption laws, except how would that be regulated? Cars are easy they have to be registered. Tv's can be bought in other states and brought back, ect. ect.

I read one time California was trying to figure out how to go into people's homes and control the thermostats, anything is possible along these lines with computers. although I doubt the govt. is competent enough to fully pull it off.

but what they are talking about I believe, and is more politically feasible, is setting a date and saying you can only sell TV's that consume "x" amount of energy, whatever it is govt. decides that is. My guess is with newer Technologies for Flat Screens coming down the pipe, they will need more juice to be powered than will possibly be allowed. Definitely a business concern for this industry.

Funny thing is people calling for Electric cars while opposing just about any new power plants(coal, nuke). If the nation got off Oil and onto Electric cars, we are going to need a ton of new power plants to power them as we re-charge every night

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:

the economic mess is complex and has multiple causes, people buying on credit more than they can afford is definitely one of them.

my point is there must not be too much of a 'credit crunch' right now if they can do 36 months interest free. and if you are responsible and can afford it, its not a bad deal to go that route.

·
Vendor
32,730 Posts

Quote:

Best Buy and Circuit City are both doing 36 month Interest Free Financing on TV's over $1k, so Credit/risk can't be too bad

If Circuit City does not find a buyer by this friday they will close forever.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:

that said, Best Buy and Circuit City are both doing 36 month Interest Free Financing on TV's over $1k, so Credit/risk can't be too bad

Hmm..wonder what would happen if you finance through Circuit City and they go belly up a couple weeks later. Bankruptcy means you don't have to pay creditors, but in this case your creditor would no longer exist..

·
Vendor
32,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpniner /forum/post/15538161

Funny thing is people calling for Electric cars while opposing just about any new power plants(coal, nuke). If the nation got off Oil and onto Electric cars, we are going to need a ton of new power plants to power them as we re-charge every night

Very interesting, just like if they make cars and trucks run on water we would run out of water....no win.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/15540263

Very interesting, just like if they make cars and trucks run on water we would run out of water....no win.

"Run on water.."

Chris, I'm not sure how much of a foundation you have in thermodynamics, but I presume you mean that we can create passenger cars that run on hydrogen that is created from water. If so, you might want to consider where the energy comes from to crack water into hydrogen.

I would suggest that you probably need a coal, oil, natural gas, or nuclear power station in order to get sufficient power to crack water reliably and consistently in order to create a sufficient supply of hydrogen power. Wind and solar power and the "power of positive thinking" simply aren't reliable enough on an overcast day when everyone is trying to get to work during rush hour.

After this you still need to convert the existing infrastructure of petrol fueling stations into hydrogen fuel stations in order to make a short cross-state drive and you also have to deal with the minor inconvenience of keeping a fender-bender from causing an explosion with multiple fatalities since we're dealing with a highly explosive hydrogen fuel tank now.

I agree that energy independence is in America's long term interest. Hydrogen probably is a more appropriate fuel source for terrestrial transportation than electric plug-in vehicles. However it is a fallacy to suggest that we can power passenger vehicles on water.

·
Registered
614 Posts
But wait! Hydroelectric power -> power lines -> electricity used to create free hydrogen.

I know - a stretch, but I'm sure that's how some try to sell the idea.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts