Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sHI,

I was wondering what people think of the panasonic 34 inch hdtv and what about buying over the web; as it saves as much as 1000 dollars on this set, compared to local prices. Any recomendations or experences would be apperciated.

thanks Tony

[This message has been edited by tonyb100 (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have owned a Panasonic CT-34WX50 for about 15 months. I bought mine from Sound Advice in Orlando. I am extremely happy with it and highly recommend it. I had it calibrated by an ISF technician. That improved the picture dramatically.

I use it with the Panasonic TU-HDS20 STB and a General Instrument HDD-200 converter for my 4DTV receiver. The result is outstanding.

Recently the manager of the local Sound Advice store and the guy from the store who is in charge of custom installation were at my house looking at the picture I got from HBO or Showtime on my 4DTV. They were standing there with looks of amazement on their faces. I'm reasonably sure that their reaction was genuine rather than good marketing!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Tony,

I purchased my ct34wx50 approximately 11 months ago. I had shopped locally and then shopped the internet. I saw a lot of good feedback from internet sales experiences with Proactiveelectronics.com. I called them quite a few times with questions and they were always attentive and courteous.

I eventually bought the set from them, I got it a few days earlier than promised (took about 4 days) and have been happy with it ever since. I am thinking about a plasma set now and will buy from them.

I just checked their sight, they indicate that it is in stock and the price is $2620.

Good luck,

Steve

P.S. I have had zero problems with the set and don't think I have ever read of anyone else having any. I don't know if this can be said for many of the other 34' direct view sets. I have read many posts with complaints about some of them.

[This message has been edited by sblinn (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
21,532 Posts
I am interested in this set too: can I setup/calibrate the set with Avia or Essentials myself? I have been told that since the set design is 2 years old that it is not state of the art and there are newer/better sets coming out. However I am extremely impressed with its picture. Would you guys buy it today or wait for newer set such as Sony 34 HDTV 16:9 coming this fall?

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I just purchased two CT-34WX50s in May from Sound Advice which is a high end stereo store here in Miami for $3300 each on sale. I just noticed this past week that best buys has started carrying the set for $3500 here. At the time I could have bought the set for $2900 by mail order. I have bought a lot of stuff mail order and never had a problem but these sets weigh almost 200 pounds each and if there was a problem it would have been a nightmare to return them. Sound Advice delivered them, removed them from the box and set them up for me. Plus if there had been a problem they would have come out and exchanged them for me.

The sets had the worse picture I have ever seen out of the box but having seen the same model perfectly calibrated at the store I knew they could look great. I am a broadcast engineer so I calibrated them using the joe kane DVD. The results were incredible. The HDTV picture on them is the best I have ever seen on a direct view set. It is like looking out a window. You can tweek every little thing on these sets and even turn off VMS in the menus. These sets have been in production for almost 2 years now so they have pretty much worked out all the bugs. I am very happy with them. I am using a TU-HDS20 STB on one set and a Toshiba DST 3000 STB on the other.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I just notices that the local COSTCO store near me was selling it for around $2800.

If you do buy one there (or somewhere else that does not deliver) make sure that you have a bunch of strong guys to help you lift this thing. It is VERY heavy. (as is the Sony, Sharp, and Toshiba Direct Views)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.