AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the Panasonic PT-52DL52( 52" dlp rear proj)? I just got a flyer from ONECALL and they estimate a Dec 20 arrival. Will sell it for $4499 but I hven't seen anything but the Sammy hlm507. On paper it looks suhweet! Panasonic website only shows the pt-52dl10 at $12,999. What's the difference?

·
Registered
506 Posts
GoodGuys and Tweeter's Houston warehouse have said that they will receive PT-52DL52's before Dec. 6.

EDIT 12/2 - Tweeter Houston is now quoting early Jan. availablity. I'm not sure whats happening on availability.

The best pricing I've found so far is at GoodGuys.com by using the following coupon ($4500* with free shipping and no sales tax in the U.S. as they're based in Oregon) * $500 discount code is VISAFALL for first time GoodGuys website buyers. I am not affiliated with GoodGuys in any way.

Search this forum for "PT-52DL52" for details on this model.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Panasonic website only shows the pt-52dl10 at $12,999. What's the difference?
That's the old model (HD1 DLP chip) that the PT-52DL52 (HD2 DLP chip) is replacing.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I dont think the pricing on the Panny DLP is correct on their website...

There is now way .... they could compete with samsung.. and my dealer info also says otherwise...

I am looking into this one myself, as Samsung has pissed me off

The pricing looks identical to the old unit, and the old unit was the one on display at CEDIA... Not the new one..

I also show that they will be available next week... I am interested to see this one..

-ADS-

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Did anybody see this at the recent trade show (CEIDA... or whatever it's called)? Does the Panny overcome the issues the smaller Samsungs have?

Thanks,

·
Registered
309 Posts
To my recollection, the new DLP was not on display at cedia, only the old one...

I saw all 3 of the sammys at the show.. the new one is much sleeker, as the old one look more like an RPTV, and that was what was on display at the panasonic booth..

I am going to CES in Jan, so If I dont buy it before then, I want to compare them side by side.

-ADS-

·
Registered
105 Posts
Game Guard?

Looking at the good guys link it mentions something called "Game Guard". What the heck is that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Who's gonna get the service menu tweaks for the Panny? Will it be possible to have as many threads as for the Sammy? How about a nice juicy PB for this baby?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I requested Panny service manual ordering information for PT-52DL52 (and service remote info if applicable) and have had weekly dialogue with Panasonic. Unfortunately, they claim that the SM part number is not yet loaded in their system.

With Sound City's latest discount pricing ($3900 including shipping), we don't need a Panny PB.

11/15/2002 -0500, PASC Callbacks wrote:

>Dear Jeff, Just a short note to advise you that the service literature

>research department is still in the process of researching the

>availability of the requested Service manual and Service Remote for model

># PT52DL52. I will contact you as soon as I have any new information.

>Thank you for your patience in this matter.

>

>Sincerely, Stephanie, A03 Customer Service Representative Panasonic

>Services Company National Parts Center

·
Registered
161 Posts
How come they don't have the manual for the 52DL52 at the panasonic web site if the TV is already available?

Anybody knows if this TV has discrete remote codes for power and input selection? I saw in the DL10 manual that it skips non-connected inputs, which would make it impossible to get a base line input to program a macro. If it has discrete input commands, then it would be no problem.

·
Registered
506 Posts
According to Panny engineers, the PT52DL52 does not have discrete input remote codes. Instead, it seeks the next "active" input when the source button is depressed (versus Sammy 507 operation which seeks the next "connected" input in the case of Component, Svideo and Ant and only sees "active" inputs in the case of PC & DVI which makes it virtually impossible to establish a base input for macro programming on the 507. This is my biggest usability issue with the Sammy.

The Panny engineers say that single button input macros can be created for the PT52DL52 by turning off sources other than the desired one and applying the source button once. Also, PT52DL52 macros will not be compromised by connecting additional cables, unless the new source is on.

Finally, the previous generation Panny PT52DL10 and the PT52DL52 support input labeling which helps ease of use which is omitted on the 507.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by d4lions
To my recollection, the new DLP was not on display at cedia, only the old one...

I saw all 3 of the sammys at the show.. the new one is much sleeker, as the old one look more like an RPTV, and that was what was on display at the panasonic booth.
The set Panasonic had at CEDIA was the new one, not the old one. They had it on the matching stand, however, which integrates so well that it made the set look like a single-piece floorstander rather than a tabletop model (which both it and the old model actually are).

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
I'm not sure when I'll see the PT52DL52 in my area but for anyone interested, I noticed the Soundcity.com has the TV on sale for $3635.13 plus $251.94 shipping. If anyone sees this TV in your area, please post your thoughts on the picture quality. I'm really interested to see how the black levels and the contrast looks on this TV. I'm hoping the contrast looks better than the Samsung 5065 that I saw at Best Buy.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Searched again and found it for $3629 plus $189 shipping at 4cost.com. I do not know about the reliability of soundcity.com or 4cost.com. I just saw good prices and though I'd relay this info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
if panny uses 200watt lamp, the life of lamp will be 1/2 of 100watt lamp.

in other words, you have replace lamp in 4000hr rather than 8000hr.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I believe 200W Panny lamp is rated at 5000 hrs.

I still have an outstanding request with Panasonic for the 52DL52 service manual. If/when I receive information, I will post it. However, I may not be able to contribute much more Panny info as the PT-52DL52 will not fit in my entertainment center so I am taking delivery of a PB 507.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
You better reveal your source. At CEDIA in late Sept, the product line manager for Panasonic's TV said: "No way Jose."

Mark

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.