Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM
Bump!

Looking for some information, the price is really good, half of what a 60" SXRD would cost me.

Michael

My take on the new dlp is a step back from last year :( :( :(

Banding was somwhat improved but very nosiey and well.....

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
PT-61DLX76

Panasonic introduces new HD multimedia displays and 1080p display capability

Saturday 7 January 2006

Panasonic today announced two new widescreen, high-definition Digital Light Processingâ„¢ (DLPâ„¢) technology televisions featuring Texas Instruments' new 1080p DMD (Digital Micromirror Device.) Models PT-56DLX76 and PT-61DLX76, 56-inches and 61-inches (diagonal screen measurement), respectively, can attain an improved contrast ratio rendering brilliant whites, deep blacks and crisp, vivid color with stunning clarity. The Panasonic fifth-generation DLP technology sets are planned for delivery in June, 2006.

Designed to deliver the full impact of high-resolution digital images from a multitude of sources, both models feature integrated ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuners, CableCARD1 slot, SD Card and Photo Viewer2, RGB PC inputs and HDMI inputs. The built-in ATSC3 tuner enables reception of Enhanced Definition (EDTV) 480p and High Definition (HDTV) native 720p/1080i/1080p signals. Both models include the TV Guide On-Screen Electronic Program Guide and a 30W audio system that includes a 15W sub- woofer.

“Panasonic is committed to providing consumers with the most advanced technology as a means to enjoying the expanding variety of digital media,†said Andrew Nelkin, Vice President of Panasonic’s Display Group. “With a growing awareness of 1080p resolution, Panasonic is providing a wide range of solutions to those consumers who seek the ultimate high-definition viewing experience. In addition, these new DLP sets are very well suited for any form of family entertainment, whether they are displaying high definition TV content, DVDs, video games or even when used as a large computer monitor.â€

Other features include:

-An HDMI/HDCP interface that allows transfer of high-definition video and multi-channel audio over a single cable, which greatly simplifies the connection between a digital television and various CE host devices such as a DVD player or A/V receiver.

-Direct Access Video Input: This feature allows the user to select a video input source directly without toggling through all inputs. When you press the TV/VIDEO button on the remote control, a menu listing all video inputs will appear. You can either scroll through the menu to select an input or simply press the number on the remote corresponding to the desired input.

-Split-Screen display capability.

-Optical output for Dolby Digital 5.1-channel surround sound decoders.

-RGB PC input and XGA resolution display capability enable the set to serve as an ultra-high resolution PC monitor.

About Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company

Based in Secaucus, N.J., Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company is a Division of Panasonic Corporation of North America, the principal North American subsidiary of Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. Ltd. (NYSE: MC) and the hub of Panasonic's U.S.

marketing, sales, service and R&D operations. Information about Panasonic products is available at www.panasonic.com . Additional company information for journalists is available at www.panasonic.com/pressroom .

MODEL AVAILABILITY SRP*

PT-56DLX76 56†diagonal screen June, 2006 TBD

PT-61DLX76 61†diagonal screen June, 2006 TBD

·
Registered
163 Posts
Noooooooo!!!!!!!! Oh well, that's life I guess. I really only wanted to spend no more then $2,500 anyways and I'm sure those 1080p sets will cost more. Don't think I could wait tell June either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I thought the same thing, just ordered the 61 DLP from Panasonic, however 6 mo is a long wait when the Xbox 360 is begging me to use it's hd technology!

I have decided 2010 will be the year I'll look into a new 1080p tv. I will not be tempted from this forum to buy another tv until then. I repeat, I will not be tempted from this forum to buy a newer technology tv. I will sit back, relax, and ENJOY my tv until 2010. Ok, I feel better now. HA!

If you want a great value, the Panasonic DLP is on the top of the list. I did see the price at One Call and it's pretty close to the employee pricing you get from Panasonic. The tv looks great and you can check it out at Magnolia Hi Fi located in Best Buy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well, my tv finally came today. I ended up getting the 56dlx25 instead of the 75. As far as I can see/tell there is no difference between the two besides the price. It looks like the 75 is getting phased out as well. There's also a $200 rebate on the Panasonic site for the 25 which makes it even cheaper. Pretty killer deal.

Only did some basic setting up with Avia. I have Dish Network HD and also NBC and CBS OTA. Probably won't get to those tell sunday since I have to build a stand and get my old Panasonic rptv moved out. If anybody has any questions, ask away. I did briefly play some XBox 360 on it and Project Gotham 3 was fantastic. I think I'll be really happy with this set.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Congrats on the purchase Dr. I couldn't find a difference between the two models either. Can you personally confirm the use of the HD2+ (pixel grid on the screen) for this model? Please post a review when you get a chance. I'm particularly interested in the noise level, and if it has a fan that runs 24/7. Thanks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
In the manual it lists the same chip for the 61dlx75, 56dlx75, and 56dlx25. Is there a way to tell on the actual tv itself?

I can tell you that the fan does not run 24/7. I can barely hear it when it is running. The xbox 360's fan noise is like a jet engine compared to the fan in the tv.

·
Registered
118 Posts
posted this in another thread..

my father just got the 61x75.

i've got a PT-50DL54 and have been very happy with it, so he got the new 61 incher on my suggestion

1. it's HUGE

2. i still think VIVID sucks and CINEMA is the only way to go on this tv

3. it looks as good or better than my 50 incher in HD with the HDMI input

but we've got 2 problems:

1. cable is hooked up via DVI out on the cable box, so we've got to use analog audio from teh cable box. this is fine, but the tv doesn't recognize the analog audio with the HDMI picture input. it works fine this way on my 50 incher, but the 61 isn't working correctly. i've contacted panasonic and hopefully it's an easy solution

2. i can't get it to stretch HD signals full screen through the component or hdmi input. it'll only show these at 4:3. not sure why...

other than that, the picture on this is pretty damn good. i went with the panasonic for my own tv over the samsungs and mitsubishis because i thought the picture (in CINEMA mode and NOT VIVID) was as good or better than both of those brands, plus it ws a lot cheaper.

it was 2550 shipped...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I believe most tvs won't stretch an HD signal. Not sure why you would want to do that anyway.

I have everything set up right now. Still monkeying around with settings and all that fun stuff. I have a Dish 811 HD receiver. I set it to 720p and the 1080i channels (HDNet, etc...) do not look as good as when set to 1080i. I guess the Panasonic does a better job at scaling/downrezzing. However EspnHD when the box is set to 720p looks gorgeous.

I'm using a Pansonic RP82 dvd player. Kind of old school now I guess. I'm about to run through a few discs to see how it looks. I've used Avia to calibrate but don't know if I set Contrast/Picture right.

The only thing that has remotely bothered me is a couple spots of bad geometry. I've tweaked my Panasonic crt rptv beyond belief for the past couple years, but always had trouble with the geometry. It's only very slight on the DLP though.

Does anyone have any information on how to access the service menu?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought the Panasonic PT-52LCX65 and even with HD the picture doesn't look that great. I don't know if it's my cable box or what.

Also, when watching HD channels I have grey letterbox bars AND black sidebar bars meaning the picture is the same aspect as my screen but smaller on both directions. I looked through settings in the cablebox and in the tv but can't find how to fix this!???

What's the point of watching HD on a 52" screen when there are letterbox and sidebars that make the picture 42" and are distracting. I just want to watch the game full screen in HD...

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgibbo
I bought the Panasonic PT-52LCX65 and even with HD the picture doesn't look that great. I don't know if it's my cable box or what.

Also, when watching HD channels I have grey letterbox bars AND black sidebar bars meaning the picture is the same aspect as my screen but smaller on both directions. I looked through settings in the cablebox and in the tv but can't find how to fix this!???

What's the point of watching HD on a 52" screen when there are letterbox and sidebars that make the picture 42" and are distracting. I just want to watch the game full screen in HD...
How are you hooking up the set? If you are using a cable box it should be a HD cable box hooked up through the component or HDMI input and the cable box needs to be set at 720p. Also the box should be set for a 16:9 picture format.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo
How are you hooking up the set? If you are using a cable box it should be a HD cable box hooked up through the component or HDMI input and the cable box needs to be set at 720p. Also the box should be set for a 16:9 picture format.
i have an HD (SciAtl 8300HD) hooked up to the TV via component cables. you can choose 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i as outputs in the cable box menu and choose starndard 4:3 or widescreen 16:9 with stretch, sidebars, or zoom. For the channels where I have the sidebars and letterbox, the cable box is set as widescreen - sidebar 4:3 (meaning use sidebars if there is a 4:3 show) but when I change this it always reverts right back to sidebar in the set-up.

Why would I not choose 1080i or 720p or choose both?

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
The native resolution of your TV is 720p so unless the cable box is capable of passing through the original signal it is best to display all HD material in 720p. I use 480i for the non-hd setting on my Motorola 6200 box. I get an excellent quality picture on HD material usually filling the full screen on my Panasonic DLP (their is material that does not fill the screen, but that is intentional). I use the HDMI input, but component should give you a great picture since I feed my computer to the TV via component cables. You may need to call the cable company to adjust or replace you cable box.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I ended up getting the PT-52LCX65 (same as one of the posters above).

I have been running into the same issues on SOME of the HD channels I get through Comcast. I have the cable box set to 1080i and Stretch Screen. Maybe I'll try switching that to 720p, like someone said.

Can some who are more knowlegable than myself (should take too much) post what they have the setting and tweaks set to? This could be for both the DLP & LCD Panasonic models. If you post, please list what model Panasonic you have.

Is this something we should start a new thread for?

ie: Panasonic DLP/LCD Owners Tweaks & Settings

I currently have mine set at Standard mode - Cinema seems too dark and Vivid seems too bright (however, I haven't changed much in terms of brightness or other settings)

Thanks - in Advance,

K-aotic

·
Registered
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr hypothesis
I believe most tvs won't stretch an HD signal. Not sure why you would want to do that anyway.

frain freeze...

i didn't mean stretch HD signals. i meant i can't stretch anything when going in HDMI input. the SD channels just won't stretch....

i think something's wrong with the tv...too many weird things happening

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
On HDMI what are you trying to stretch. Only 480i and 480p sources can be stretched. If your input source is converting everything to 1808i or 720p it cannot be stretched.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does anyone have any updated thoughts on the Panasonic DLP's? They have pretty good deal going on at one of the warehouse clubs on the captioned set (limited quantities) and I wanted to see if anyone had any more recent reviews or thoughts on this.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbear
Does anyone have any updated thoughts on the Panasonic DLP's? They have pretty good deal going on at one of the warehouse clubs on the captioned set (limited quantities) and I wanted to see if anyone had any more recent reviews or thoughts on this.
I'm curious on the same thing. I went to probably the same warehouse club and noticed the price + stand for the 56" is $700 cheaper than the similar 52" Model.

I'm very tempted to pick on up.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.