AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus1099 /forum/post/0

Im confused.... This is not showing up on their regular site. It also looks like this firmware is older than the original. Anyone?

The update site is the official pansonic site (firmware form 1/16/07... what firmware do you have?

·
Registered
6,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel_ /forum/post/0

The update site is the official pansonic site (firmware form 1/16/07... what firmware do you have?

Ive got the original firmware, but when I download this, my computer asks me if I want to replace with this, which shows a date of 12/05???? Im not very computer savy so....

·
Registered
6,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012 /forum/post/0

Well, that should have been clue enough that the date was corrupted somewhere, or was replaced with info not pertaining to a date. When you stick the disc in your machine, it will know immediately if it is a new update or not.

Ok!!! I just had to purchase winrar... waiting for my order to go through!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Can I download to a dvd or is it to cd only?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I just updated my player without a hitch (burned using default Windows software to a cd-r). I can also confirm while using the THX Optimizer that blacker than black is passed through, and the drop-shawod is very visible with black levels turned up. I haven't had time to check cue, but I'm already thrilled.

Hurray to Panasonic!!!!

·
Banned
469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdguru /forum/post/0

Can I download to a dvd or is it to cd only?

Panasonic specifically states CD. Will it work with a DVD? Who knows. Will it screw anything up if you put in on a DVD? Who knows. You could try. Or you could just use a CD-r and not take any chances. If I didn't have a CDr around, I would go buy some before taking any chances with a DVD. You'll need more CDr's anyway for subsequent updates.

P.S. My Panasonic updated to 1.4 without a hitch from CDR.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Thanks Frank, I won't take the chance on messing it up using a dvd.

·
Registered
27,596 Posts
Good news.

FWIW: I used a CD-R for the last update w/o a hitch.

·
Registered
27,596 Posts
Any True HD / DTS HD on this release?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Updated to 1.4 with no problems.

The menus on "Descent" are as slow as always. However, pressing the chapter skip button responds very fast. The picture, which was already great, looks better with even more contrast and "pop". However, its hard to tell. Maybe it's just my expectations. We need someone with 2 Pannys to do an A/B compare.

·
Registered
381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/0

Curious how to verify latest software installed on the Panny? I got the unsupported message when I inserted the burned CD. But, I just recently purchased this unit from VE, so it could be that mine was shipped with 1.4

To see the FW version: Go to the Setup Menu. Select Display. Move the highlight into the Display Menu. Press "STATUS" button. You will see a small 1.4 (or whatever version) appear for a few seconds in the lower right.

Also when I update firmware I always burn my CD at the SLOWEST possible rate (around 8x) as this gives a better chance of working.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Ok, I've played with a number of disks, and BTB is showing on all of the callibration ones (I didn't check any early Sony-release easter egg callibration, since they clipped BTB anyways). No question about it. Subjectively, the color looks even better to me, but I wil wait for Sspears or Kris Dearing or someone who can do objectivce chroma measurements before I believe it.

Interactivity is marginally faster, especially FF and RW. Most important to me (and almost unbelievable to me) it fixed my problem with the SW out. The subwoofer out is very quiet (as is well documented) but before this firmware my SW audio out did not output anything. Now it does, and I am stoked. had to test a dozen BD's with uncompressed audio...I love it. When the Panny gets DTS-MA and TrueHD decoding it'll be the perfect player.

Awesome!

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
For some reason this is not downloading properly for me. It could be the time of day. Anyone else having trouble right now. Its downloading ok but wrong file size and its a dead format when I open it. File size before decompression is 32mb after 20mb.

I tried this on 3 different PCs thinking one of the machines was choking during download but got the same thing on all three.

Last update went very smooth. Ill give it another try in a hour.

1 - 20 of 232 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.