AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having one heck of a time trying to figure this out. This will be long winded, but I hope I can get my point across.

I just hooked up my -10 to a Yamaha RX-V1400 that does not have HDMI imputs. My speakers are set up in a 7.1 configuration. I hooked the -10 into Multi-channel imputs and went into the receiver and set it up for "8CH" on the multi channel setting. I have not done anything as far as settings go on the -10. My problem is that the receiver does not send out a 5.1 or 6.1 signal in the multi channel mode. If I hook up a fiber optic cable, it will display 5.1 or 6.1 depending on the disk. In multi channel, I get no display but I do get sound from the front surrounds and the center channel and the rear back surrounds. The surrounds in the middle of the room are silent. I would think that if this was set up right I would get a 6.1 signal all the time but maybe not. Appreciate anyone who can make me understand this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
What do you mean by "front surrounds"? You mean the "presence" channel?

In any case the receiver via the external 8ch input won't do any processing, the receiver will simply amplify whatever signal it enters into it. The decoding lies with the source in this case, so if the Panasonic won't do any 6.1 or 7.1 decoding or post processing like EX/ES, then you don't get anything more then 5.1.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun /forum/post/12952321

What do you mean by "front surrounds"? You mean the "presence" channel?

In any case the receiver via the external 8ch input won't do any processing, the receiver will simply amplify whatever signal it enters into it. The decoding lies with the source in this case, so if the Panasonic won't do any 6.1 or 7.1 decoding or post processing like EX/ES, then you don't get anything more then 5.1.

I am referencing the Kenwood manual to sound like I know what I am talking about. (It did not work)!!! It is a 7.1 setup. The two speakers in the middle are the quiet ones. So is the sub but only in multi -channel. When I go through the fiber optic, everything works. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dei08dei /forum/post/12952467

I am referencing the Kenwood manual to sound like I know what I am talking about. (It did not work)!!! It is a 7.1 setup. The two speakers in the middle are the quiet ones. So is the sub but only in multi -channel. When I go through the fiber optic, everything works. Sorry for the confusion.

Sounds like you got the surrounds switched.

Dont forget to set the back speakers to on and speakers to small in the Panny set up screen.

·
Registered
628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus /forum/post/12953036

Sounds like you got the surrounds switched.

Dont forget to set the back speakers to on and speakers to small in the Panny set up screen.

Yes I did the same thing first time I hooked mine up. Don't use the surround back outputs, only the surround. The front effect speakers are a Yamaha thing, they will only work with Yamahas DSP modes.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
on your panny bd10a make sure your speakers config is multichannel not 2 channel.

·
Registered
108 Posts
When using analog, it depends on your source. Not all receivers can matrix a 5.1 to 6/7.1 analog sound. You get the extra channels with optical because your receiver is set to dolby ex or pllx, bitstream to receiver and letting it decode and matrix. Hope this helps, if I'm wrong, someone please correct. Try 3:10 to Yuma, you should get all 8 channels.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the Yamaha 2400 & I know that when you plug in 7.1 analogs you have to have the front channels from the BR player plugged into the DVD stereo inputs, the SB channels plug into the front Multichannel Inputs & the rest are normal SR,SL,C,SW. I'm pretty sure in the setup menu for the Yamaha you also have to set it correctly: that you are 8 Channel & that the fronts & SB are configured correctly.

If that was the problem then you should be good to go. I just got the Onkyo 875, but I had my Panny BD10A hooked up to my Yamaha through the analogs & was getting all the hi-res sound but the DTS-HD MA. I only bought the new amp for the HDMI because I couldn't have my SACD DVD-A player and the Blu-ray player hooked up at the same time and it was a PITA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts