AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the apparent obsolescence of the BD-35, what possibly could Panasonic improve on to what is already a very good player? Keep in mind this is their entry level player so "niche" features might be reserved for the more advanced player which is now the BD-55.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I suspect that the BD player manufacturers may also try to cost-down to hit the magical $200 price point...

·
Registered
8,393 Posts
Boot up time and faster load times are tough because the unit would need more processing power and that would probably increase costs. I would not be surprised if the new units have more memory. I would also suspect that we will see several lower priced models.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
dang
! I was just getting use to ol' boy. Talking about filling in the position before the guy even starts talking about retiring
. Not even a 2-weeks notice?

One suggestion, put the Powercell in lieu of the P4 HD processor.

Having audio/video bit rate info displayed would also be nice.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Looks like the new players will add:

Amazon VOD

Pandora Music

Picasa Web Albums

A slimmer design and uses 16% less power in standby than the BD35.

The BD70V will be a VHS/CD/DVD/BD player that upconverts everything to 1080p.

I think I'll keep my BD35 because who knows when the new players will be available.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
No release date? I wonder if it is the same, basic up-convert engine as the BD35/55.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte /forum/post/15494550

No release date? I wonder if it is the same, basic up-convert engine as the BD35/55.

It sounds that way, just with the addition of the network features (Amazon VOD, Pandora streaming, etc.). I think I'll be keeping my BD35, and keep my TiVo for HD video/audio streaming, thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If rumors of a release date of end of Feb/March are true, the Bd 60/80 must of been in production for a while. Especially if they discontinued the other models so early. Otherwise panasonic is leaving the door open for their competitors to sneak in and take sales away for a few months while they don't have a blu-ray player available.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
'VIERA CAST technology, introduced in Panasonic's PZ850 2008 VIERA Plasma, is now available in Panasonic's 2009 Blu-ray players. The internet enabled technology lets the consumer access the internet without the need of either an external box or a PC and enjoy the '

I guess it's WIFI???

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki /forum/post/15496021

'VIERA CAST technology, introduced in Panasonic's PZ850 2008 VIERA Plasma, is now available in Panasonic's 2009 Blu-ray players. The internet enabled technology lets the consumer access the internet without the need of either an external box or a PC and enjoy the '

I guess it's WIFI???

That doesn't sound like WiFi to me, that sounds like they're just saying it doesn't need some kind of external adapter or bridge. Like those Sony TV's that had an add-on box available to add internet streaming, for example.

They can't mean no external box as in no network infrastructure, because you gotta talk to the router at some point unless they start selling these things with 3G cellular links, which is beyond unlikely.

It just doesn't need a PC or other gizmo to do the heavy lifting, it'll do all the browsing/decoding itself. Still will need a wired connection. If it was wireless they would have bragged about that explicitly.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley /forum/post/15486402

Boot up time and faster load times are tough because the unit would need more processing power and that would probably increase costs. I would not be surprised if the new units have more memory. I would also suspect that we will see several lower priced models.

At the very least they should allow the eject button response immediately. This can't be hard to do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.