AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1890 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This new player just announced at 2012 CES looks really nice. I have a Bryston SP1.7 pre-pro which does not have HDMI & of course does not decode the latest

surround formats. Rather than turf a really good quality pre pro I can go through the BDT500 7.1 analog inputs. There are other players out there that do similar but they can get pricey. Curious to see what this retails for.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone /forum/post/21475896

I wonder if the BDT500 uses the new UniPhier with ARM Cortex A9 Dualcore CPU.

It uses UniPhier technology, not sure which chip, or if there is more than one. Here is a link about the new Panny BD lineup for 2012:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/t...ic-32bit-3d-bd

Check out the new remote, which appears to have a LCD display.

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
Looks like every other year. The Uniphier is their proprietary chip, like some use a Marvell or Mediatek. It's been a really good performer, and they make incremental advances every year. I know the Uniphier upgrades announced this summer were interesting, so hopefully they continue to advance it. I really like the look of the 500.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It sounds to me that the improvements in this model over last year's BDT310 are mostly audio processing related. That and the new remote, of course. If the player isn't doing the audio decoding, then it doesn't sound like much else was added. Anyone else thinking the same thing?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Per several video/audio sites and Panasonic there is an increase in video processing since the new 2012 Panasonic blu ray players will employ a newly designed Uniphier processor that increases video quality 50% over the current models. Of course the new models will have 192kHz/32bit Audio DACs. These improvements surpass the current 2011 models, Im buying the new 2012 model for sure!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm mostly curious about if they have made the files support wider.

For example the 2011 players can't play MP4/M4V etc.

They can't even play some mkv files.

·
Registered
13 Posts
looks like a very interesting player, as I need high quality analog audio (stereo only in my case). Now if only they fixed the bug that analog audio is shut off when setting the player to 24p like with the current x10 series...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Will this player offer 3D Checkerboard output as an option for those of us that have 3D capable DLP displays? The 2010 and 2011 models offered this option.

·
Super Moderator
16,424 Posts
It should as Panasonic is the only player that does offer it as far as I know. Nice little corner on the market there.

S~

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: checkerboard 3D format, hopefully these new players do still support it. It would be nice if they also now supported it for use with the 2D to 3D conversion feature as well as with VIERA feature such as Netflix

·
Registered
1,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwgougeon /forum/post/21513846

Re: checkerboard 3D format, hopefully these new players do still support it. It would be nice if they also now supported it for use with the 2D to 3D conversion feature as well as with VIERA feature such as Netflix

I concur.

·
Super Moderator
16,424 Posts
3D conversion is supposed to work with apps.

S~

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I wonder if it will support vudu 3d. The current panasonics do not.

·
Audio Engineer
2,335 Posts
Agreed. I own (and am 100% happy with) an Arcam AVR300 and I have no intention of spending money on replacing it any time soon.

The BDT500 looks like the perfect solution for me. That + some 5.1 Blue Jeans RCA patch cables brings me right up to speed with the new hi-def audio formats.

This is on my must-buy list this year.

This will also allow me to retire my never-did-work-as-advertised LG BD590. But that's already been hashed-out here on the owner's thread.

1 - 20 of 1890 Posts