AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 4817 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Ok, makes sense. I'm surprised that streaming functionality hasn't been incorporated into HT projectors. Is that because of the processing/storage requirements and that projectors are usually fairly small devices? (Although in actuality, most of the HT projectors I have seen are considerably larger in form factor than Blu-Ray players that contain streaming apps.) Is it an issue with wifi interference or running Cat6 cable to projectors? Heat output?

It just seems that streaming apps would be a logical inclusion in today's HT projectors.
Can't see why they would try to worry about that in projectors, similarly to the fact projectors don't have TV tuners in them. Projectors are pure display devices, always have been. Adding streaming functionality then requires constant internet, meaning the LAN connection with internet, which not that many owners have,or manufacturers would have to start including wireless chip sets on top. Not all that logical really when you can add any variety of device to add on and replace without worrying about changes in standards of decoding that affect built-in chipsets in displays. You have to add an audio system to projectors to get sound anyway, so it's no real stretch to add a source that streams along side the other desired video sources most people want, say like cable or sat tuners, ATV, disc players,etc. I'd rather take away say a Sony FMP-X10 that's outdated from the equipment rack and add a UHD player with streaming built in. It just goes with the territory, as opposed to those who say hang a panel on the wall and want as little clutter or external stuff to worry about as possible.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have just preordered one in my local shop. Estimated delivery 4/12. Good stuff!

I absolutely have to sort out whether you can set/fix the chroma output on the player...

Since my VW520 is limited to 10.2 Gbit/s input, it WILL cope with video at UHD spec 2160p24 10bit 4:2:0, but WONT cope with it at 4:4:4. I know that Panasonics "4K Chroma processor" will upsample to 4:4:4. On the Sammy player (that also does upsample to 4:4:4) this leads to the VW520 showing UHD blu-ray in 8bit (due to EDID handshake?)

Can you turn the chroma upsampling off on the UB900???

Some evidencial pictures attached.
  • Resolution/Framerate/Colordepth/Chroma limitation of different HDMI speeds - (source)
  • UHD blu-ray spec - (source)
  • Display of UB900 playing disc showing stored UHD blu-ray data (2160p24 10bit 4:2:0) - (source)

Attachments

Reactions: Dragnet

·
Registered
137 Posts
Online order? If so can you tell us where from? I'd be keen to do same but haven't seen preorders anywhere yet.
Amazon Germany has it on their site for EUR 799 pre-order from 2 sellers. Also found a great review on What Hi-FI for this unit.

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
Amazon Germany has it on their site for EUR 799 pre-order from 2 sellers. Also found a great review on What Hi-FI for this unit.
I wouldn't base my purchasing decision on that What Hi-Fi review. It didn't give enough detail and the testing was somewhat flawed. More like a puff piece. Their articles have really come down in quality.

I'm waiting for more substantive discussions before I jump in and buy it.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Yeah not buying at Euro or Pounds price if I can avoid it. Waiting to see if US release eventuates in a timely fashion.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah not buying at Euro or Pounds price if I can avoid it. Waiting to see if US release eventuates in a timely fashion.
That was for info only, £ or € was only for you to convert. You obviously don't want to purchase it from there, 220 volts and no USA warranty for starters. By the way, out of pocket USD will be the same after conversion. There's several online tools to help you with that. Cheers! Besides 700 pounds would be cumbersome to say the least. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wouldn't base my purchasing decision on that What Hi-Fi review. It didn't give enough detail and the testing was somewhat flawed. More like a puff piece. Their articles have really come down in quality.

Yeah thanks, me either. You need to consider all forms of information from various sources to be able to come up with your own original decision, then use your very own experience to find out if you're any good at making decisions. If you're not you can always send it back. Curious as to why you slam "What Hi-FI" personally I've had nothing but good experiences with information I've gleaned from their site. Do you have any suggestions of hands on reviews (I've already read all Panasonics Europes releases) to offer. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm sure Panasonic has done a better job designing their player than Samsung did, but the review doesn't go into enough detail to determine if any of the problems seen in the Samsung player might be present and simply not noticed.
I've the Samsung coming forthwith and Panasonic as soon as I can. Then your questions can be answered. Based on spec's alone and not to mention Samsungs propensity to use old technology in new products, I'm betting the Panasonic will blow it out of the water.

·
Registered
15,318 Posts

Yeah thanks, me either. You need to consider all forms of information from various sources to be able to come up with your own original decision, then use your very own experience to find out if you're any good at making decisions. If you're not you can always send it back. Curious as to why you slam "What Hi-FI" personally I've had nothing but good experiences with information I've gleaned from their site. Do you have any suggestions of hands on reviews (I've already read all Panasonics Europes releases) to offer. Thanks in advance.
Stacey Spears from Spears and Munsil calibration fame, for starters. Kris Deering, a tech writer who also graces this forum and others, as another. As for a site, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity will many times put video gear through their paces with pro testing criteria.

These guys go beyond the gee wiz factor and delve deeper into the nuts and bolts of a product. They're not afraid to spell out problems that the manufacturers may not want to hear.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am not a believer that the Panasonic will have a better picture quality with 4K disks when compared to the Samsung. When comparing the The Amazing Spider-Man 2 4K disk to the 4K download from the Sony FMP X10 server the 4K disk has more detail and better contrast and color. I do not have an HDR TV (sony X900B). The 4 K picture from these machines will only be at a specific level or the established spec the rest is up to the TV and cables. Any other claim for improved picture is pure marketing.
From the on line videos the Panasonic does not look like a super build quality like we all assumed, I was dissapointed. Maybe one notch up from the Samsung (some glass) not huge? The audio will definetly be an upgrade to the Samsung but many may not realize this based on how you will use it. The Panasonic if it comes out at $800 will definetly not be worth it. The pricing will end up being $250 in about a year. The Panasonic would end up being more over priced than the Samsung. You also cannot assume that it will be designed better with fewer problems, Panasonic is no better than Samsung when it comes to initial release products. Majority of the issues with the Samdung involve lack of knowledge and information on set up. We need to be careful spending double the cost on an unproven product. Thanks.

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
I am not a believer that the Panasonic will have a better picture quality with 4K disks when compared to the Samsung. When comparing the The Amazing Spider-Man 2 4K disk to the 4K download from the Sony FMP X10 server the 4K disk has more detail and better contrast and color. I do not have an HDR TV (sony X900B). The 4 K picture from these machines will only be at a specific level or the established spec the rest is up to the TV and cables. Any other claim for improved picture is pure marketing.
From the on line videos the Panasonic does not look like a super build quality like we all assumed, I was dissapointed. Maybe one notch up from the Samsung (some glass) not huge? The audio will definetly be an upgrade to the Samsung but many may not realize this based on how you will use it. The Panasonic if it comes out at $800 will definetly not be worth it. The pricing will end up being $250 in about a year. The Panasonic would end up being more over priced than the Samsung. You also cannot assume that it will be designed better with fewer problems, Panasonic is no better than Samsung when it comes to initial release products. Majority of the issues with the Samdung involve lack of knowledge and information on set up. We need to be careful spending double the cost on an unproven product. Thanks.
A lot of assumptions on your part without actually having one in hand.

I'll weigh the pros and cons once the Panny has been thoroughly tested by the pros.

·
Registered
309 Posts
A lot of assumptions on your part without actually having one in hand.

I'll weigh the pros and cons once the Panny has been thoroughly tested by the pros.
I agree but be careful spending twice the price until it is determine to be worth the Price of $800.

I was an early adopters when the first blue ray player was released starting with the Sony player that was $800. I returned it and purchased the PS 3 at $600 which had the same picture quality but could also play cd's and games. Also the PS 4 was lightening fast for DVD functions. Over the years the picture quality have not change too much. There has been some refinement but nothing huge. The major change has been in audio and functions.

Time will tell if the Panasonic is worth $400 more than the Samsung. Again marketing is playing a big part here for the early buyers.

Thank

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
That was for info only, £ or € was only for you to convert. You obviously don't want to purchase it from there, 220 volts and no USA warranty for starters. By the way, out of pocket USD will be the same after conversion. There's several online tools to help you with that. Cheers! Besides 700 pounds would be cumbersome to say the least. ;)
Ah actually, I would desire 220V since I live in Australia and a USA or Euro warranty does me no good, just as per my soon to arrive US Samsung. You're making a total assumption on the US price btw, which we haven't even seen yet as no one is even doing pre-orders in the US. If its lower, as I'm tipping, then I'll save the $$ and get the US version (also for blu ray region-if I wanted to move on my blu ray say), noting that the minute the cost falls below $A1000 conversion I don't get stung with any import taxes..

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Time will tell if the Panasonic is worth $400 more than the Samsung. Again marketing is playing a big part here for the early buyers.
I totally disagree, all depends on what one considers important. The past Samsung players did not have discrete IR codes for Power On and Power Off and have been told the new UHD version does not either. That makes Samsung devices a non starter for me because I use programmable remotes (MX-980 & MX-850) and use macros for most functions. I must have discrete IR codes for the things I like to do.

The Panasonic will play DSD audio, the Samsung does not. Not a deal breaker for me but DSD may be important for some.

The Panasonic is DLNA certified, a must have for me, don’t know about the Samsung.

It is hoped the Panasonic comes with a much better/capable app for iOS/Android than past versions. The LG BD (BP540) app is a lot more capable in terms of media player functions (DLNA) than the old Panasonic (DMP-BDT220).

So, just one missing feature, discrete IR codes, removes the Samsung player from my list no matter what the price difference is.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Of course the Panny will be better. Why? Not hard to guess. Samsungs's cheap mainstream MTK chipset loses against Panasonic's Socionext MN2WS03101AA which is an evolution of Panasonic's UniPhier which again goes back until the famous NEC/RENESAS chipset used in the early Pioneer Blu-ray players and Pioneer KURO plasma TVs. Every MTK chipset lost against a NEC/UniPhier chipset PQ wise in the past and this won't change with UHD BD.

Now, that being said the differences in PQ won't be huge for sure (they weren't with Blu-ray). Most people won't notice any differences.

But there some other things to consider:

- better build quality
- 18Gbit compliant HDMI cable
- 2 free UHD BDs
- better service

·
Registered
979 Posts
My thing is, if it is gonna be $800-1000, I'd prob just buy an Oppo...

I love Panny's, always loved the Uniphier, but I am not spending that money on a Panny player.
I'd rather spend the money on a Panny than an MTK powered Oppo. :p

I still own a BDP-93 for region free Blu-ray plackback, SACD and DVD-A but the PQ is really terrible compared to the BDT500 I own as well. I returned the 103D and put a Darbee Darblet between my projector and the Panny. PQ is way better compared to the 103D.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Of course the Panny will be better. Why? Not hard to guess. Samsungs's cheap mainstream MTK chipset loses against Panasonic's Socionext MN2WS03101AA which is an evolution of Panasonic's UniPhier which again goes back until the famous NEC/RENESAS chipset used in the early Pioneer Blu-ray players and Pioneer KURO plasma TVs. Every MTK chipset lost against a NEC/UniPhier chipset PQ wise in the past and this won't change with UHD BD.

Now, that being said the differences in PQ won't be huge for sure (they weren't with Blu-ray). Most people won't notice any differences.

But there some other things to consider:

- better build quality
- 18Gbit compliant HDMI cable
- 2 free UHD BDs
- better service

It is in question how much better the build quality is on the Panisonic. Based on the videos am not sure.

All the items you listed are not worth the extra $400?

The spec is the spec so we can see when the Panasonic is released. We will see better results with better 4K disks. Remember the DVD Player can only reproduce what is on the disk, no more. Anything else the player adds is not intended and not accurate. Again I do not believe the Panasonic will produce any better true 4k picture than the Samsung, it will just cost you $400 more for Marketing cost so Panasonic can make more money

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,508 Posts
I'd rather spend the money on a Panny than an MTK powered Oppo. :p

I still own a BDP-93 for region free Blu-ray plackback, SACD and DVD-A but the PQ is really terrible compared to the BDT500 I own as well. I returned the 103D and put a Darbee Darblet between my projector and the Panny. PQ is way better compared to the 103D.
I'm sorry, but I have owned a BD30, BD35, BD220, BDT500 and BDT460(still in my closet). I've also owned several Sony's and three different Oppos, as well as a Darblet.I generally buy several players a year to try them out.

When you say the 93's image is "terrible" compared to a 500, Darblet without the 103D is "way better", I can't take you seriously.

You really make yourself sound like nothing more than a Panny fanboy making claims that anyone who has owned the same gear knows is bogus. I fully get Panny makes nice stuff and I always liked their Uniphier players (I kept a BDT500 over an Oppo 103; price not PQ), but let's be honest here.

I see you have an issue with MediaTek, but the chip really has nothing to do with it as much as how the manufacturer implements it. We saw the same where Sony who uses MT had an accurate output where when Panny swapped to MT did not do a very good job with it.

I am going to digress, because I both doubt the 900 is even released in the US, and if it is, the pricing doesn't seem to make it an option for me considering other brands. Therefore, I have nothing more to add here.

141 - 160 of 4817 Posts