AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just unboxed my E100 and the first impression I have is that of a first-class, solidly-built unit. The remote control also feels quite chique. I am itching to learn about the build quality of this machine vis-a-vis that of the E80. Can some who have access to both please comment on this?


Going through the manual, one thing strikes me as unique, at least I do not remember having read about it before for this machine or another: The ability to use Playlists to EDIT programmes. I think this is great, and it has increased my respect for the unit. It will surely take me some time to test the feature out and hopefully report back (it's my 1st time stand-alone DVD-recording.) Thoughts from those on the list who may have tried out this feature will therefore be appreciated.


duwdu
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,557 Posts
The E80 and E100 are similar in most aspects you mention. The E100 mainly added bigger hard drive, faster dubs, firewire, and thumbnail names.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
I'd like to hear your opinion on the Picture Quality of the unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sssmith
I'd like to hear your opinion on the Picture Quality of the unit.
sss,


I probably will not do real justice to your question because I do not use any sophisticated display device - as yet. I just use the component input which is the highest my 21" Sony TV is imbued with. Based on this however, I have no hesitation grading the PQ at 99.9%. I simply cannot see a difference between the input stream and the output, no matter how critically I look. But then, what I think worth recording at all I record only in XP mode. Whether I want to keep it (the recording) and where, is another matter.


duwdu
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by duwdu
sss,


I probably will not do real justice to your question because I do not use any sophisticated display device - as yet. I just use the component input which is the highest my 21" Sony TV is imbued with. Based on this however, I have no hesitation grading the PQ at 99.9%. I simply cannot see a difference between the input stream and the output, no matter how critically I look. But then, what I think worth recording at all I record only in XP mode. Whether I want to keep it (the recording) and where, is another matter.


duwdu
Sorry, that would be composite!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
I go this drive last week.


So far I have recorder in XP and SP mode, Using composite input from VCR, SVideo input from Sat and DSTB and DV input from DV camcorder.


The PQ is excellent - cant tell the difference from the input source.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
651 Posts
This year's units has been compared to the earlier gens and it was said to be more cheap looking, but the current size and build is ok by me. I have a few grumbles with the remote and lack of pause button, but overall I like the performance - that's where it counts anyway.

Differences do show when you record a HDTV signal and view it through RGB out, as the unit cannot record in 16x9 and when stretched the interlacing shows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
I have a pause button, don't you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
My 100 has a pause button. I'd have a much bigger grumble if there wasn't one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cam73
I go this drive last week.


So far I have recorder in XP and SP mode, Using composite input from VCR, SVideo input from Sat and DSTB and DV input from DV camcorder.


The PQ is excellent - cant tell the difference from the input source.....
Cam73 & Duwdu,

Not being able to tell the difference between the PQ of a DVD recording from a VHS tape and the real VHS tape is not much of a test. How about the PQ on a prerecorded DVD?


thanks for the feedback.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,557 Posts
On my E80, at XP mode I can't tell the difference from the original DVD.

And SP it is very, very close to the original. Even FR modes at 2-3 hours look very good. PQ couldn't get much better using XP, and SP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,700 Posts
I believe sssmith doesn't care about record quality as much as he cares about playback quality of pre-recorded disks. He just wants a recorder that can serve as a decent playback deck as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,193 Posts
Viewing on a Panny ED plasma, playback of commercial discs is nice, but not fabulous. I can see a clear difference between it and my XP-50.


Recording direct from a commercial DVD in SP mode, the quality (played back on the XP-50) is about what I used to see on my old (good) Sony non-progressive player. Much MUCH better than tape and most broadcast. Just missing that last bit of clarity and detail that I see with the original. (I haven't played around much with XP mode because it's too much of a disc hog on DV-R.)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top