Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

anybody know if SDI is possible on the Panasonic dmr-e20???

thanks

Stergios Fikatas

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Nice idea indeed - I assume you mean SDI input versus SDI out. ;)

Cheers,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no I mean SDI out, connected to a Dune.

but SDI input would be nice too:)

Stergios Fikatas

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote:
no I mean SDI out, connected to a Dune.

but SDI input would be nice too:)
I don't think SDI out is that interesting, given the fact that an sdi mod on other, much cheaper dvd players will give equivalent results.

SDI in would be *very* interesting, however. There must be pro broadcast equipment that can record from SDI, anybody know about these/what they cost/etc.?

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
This shouldn't be a problem, but you might trash your normal S-video/composite input path in the process. To keep the other analog inputs, you would have to multiplex the IT-u656 bus coming from the video decoder with the '656 bus coming from the SDI deserializer. The muxing could be implemented with a gate array; also, you could priority switch to the SDI's '656 bus when an SDI source is connected...

-Dylan

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
I see where you guys are going with this.

Recording from an SDI player could be a VERY cool feature.

However, keep in mind that you're limited (in audio) - to stereo surround. In addition DVD-R media costs more than buying a new DVD copy of the movie...

I still think SDI out is also very interesting for using this unit as a Home Theater DVD source (even for recordings).

if this unit had more inputs, you could nuke one of those when adding the SDI input (e.g., the composite). I think each one needs its own A/D - so you can bypass just one of those inputs, not both Compsite and SVideo.

Problem is: RIAA will be on it like a fly on you-know-what...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.