AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the November 1st technology section of the New York Times you can find a review of the Panasonic DMR-E20. Before you place those orders for a new Replay or Showstopper, you might want to look at this.

$1400 for a DVD recorder that will also record to DVD-RAM.

You can record and playback on a regular DVD player your favorite TV shows. The discs cost about $7 each. They also have a DVD-RAM packet that runs $35 and will allow you to record up to six hours, and ERASE! It will let you begin playing back before finished recording. It will also allow you to record one program while watching another.

Pioneer is evidentally releasing a similar product in the $2000 range shortly.

These are both a bit pricey for my blood right now. But When they drop to about half, it's out with the VCR, the DVD player, and the CD player. One machine for all purposes.

·
Registered
416 Posts
What does a DVD hold? 4.5 gig? 9 gig?

Does it always record at DVD 'quality?' I don't need that for my cooking show archives.

These units will not serve the same purposes as a PVR. They do not have enough capacity.

I like the idea of recordable/re-writable DVDs in conjunction with a PVR. Maybe we can get sonic|blue to make one with ethernet for offloading shows from 4xxx series Replays.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
I've heard its foolish to spend over $500 and get anything that's NOT DVD+RW (which is different from DVD-RW). You'll likely have compatibility issues.
I didn't realize the diff from DVD+RW and DVD-RW... I think they are +RW.

*shrug*

·
Registered
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan
What does a DVD hold? 4.5 gig? 9 gig?

Does it always record at DVD 'quality?' I don't need that for my cooking show archives.

These units will not serve the same purposes as a PVR. They do not have enough capacity.

I like the idea of recordable/re-writable DVDs in conjunction with a PVR. Maybe we can get sonic|blue to make one with ethernet for offloading shows from 4xxx series Replays.
I believe most of them let you change the quality (highest, high, med, low..etc).

The highest allows 1 hour and i think the most is 6 on a DVD R/RW. It depends on the machine and if it uses VBR, I believe.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Panasonic- DVD-RAM and DVD-R

Pioneer- DVD-RW, DVD-R

DVD+RW and DVD+R claim to have better compatability when they come out. Only one exists right now by HP for the PC. I would not buy DVD-RAM.

By the way- I saw the Panasonic hooked up to a High Definition monitor, it looked unbelievable. The content was a burned DVD-RAM from a digital video camera. Looked better than the HDTV they were showing in the store, in my opinion.

But it only looked great b/c the source was great. Replay could look as good, if the mpeg2 data was originally high quality. Here's to hoping that the Replay5000 will link up with the 4000's, allowing us to watch the high quality of the 5000's (recorded direct stream dig cable/ satellite) on the 4000's!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you purchase anything through ecost.com you might want to check out ebates.com . They offer 1% (or more) back when you purchase things through them from their associated stores, one of which is ecost. Dell, and a lot of other online sites are also associate.. Hey, saving anything is good :)

Troy

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Panasonic has three different speeds, similar to a VCR. The highest quality is only 1 hour to a disk. But according to reviews, the six hour quality was better than S-Video. (Not my words, just reporting.)

I had not seen the DVD-Ram feature from anyone before. It sounds like they've taken RePlay technology and added it to a DVD recorder.

I used to use eCost quite a bit. Then they raised their shipping and handling to outlandish rates.

·
Registered
224 Posts
DVD-RAM is dead.

No one but Panasonic is supporting it.

Sony, Philips & Pioneer are going DVD-RW.

Check out www.dvdrw.com

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
C4etc.

I'm sure a RW compatibility would catch on with computer people. But are they going to put that in video recording machines? A different issue.

·
Registered
224 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sounds great, but it currently has no brains like Replay or Tivo currently do. Although, with computer interface, it has some potential for those that want to design the front end - include a channel guide, favorites list, etc. Could be cool!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.