AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know when the Panasonic DMR-E30 is going to be released in the US? And how much the cost is? I was thinking about getting the e20, but the newer e30 is better bc of progressive scan. I need to record something next week onwhatever I plan to get.

I mean if I buy the e20 now and the e30 comes out a month later I would just exchange the e20 for the newer model.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ecost.com is taking preorders on the Panasonic DMR-E30 DVD recorder. Their cost is $554.06, have no idea on availability. I have heard from late May, June, or July. But this is the cheapest price I have seen this dvd recorder going for on sites that are taking preorders. And just think I just brought a E-20 from them for about $25 more.

·
Registered
826 Posts
CKNA may be right. But I searched the web, including Panasonic's American site, and found only references to the Japanese model. In fact, besides eCost I only found reference at one British site, which was touting an August-September release.

The Panasonic site still only lists the E20 in black or silver. And that includes a search of press releases.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Walena808
Ecost.com is taking preorders on the Panasonic DMR-E30 DVD recorder. Their cost is $554.06, have no idea on availability. I have heard from late May, June, or July. But this is the cheapest price I have seen this dvd recorder going for on sites that are taking preorders. And just think I just brought a E-20 from them for about $25 more.
Did you call ecost to get that price? I don't see it listed on their site. The E20 is still listed there for $589.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

It's listed at the link below.
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=973525

The bad news is that the price has jumped up to $583.98. So in a short 3-4 hours it has gone up by $29:(
Well I was going to buy the e20 from Circuitcity.com because of the good return policy. I saw it at $699 on sunday, then I checked back it went back to $799.. that sucks.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Remember, eCost has a tendency to cancel orders that can't be filled. I've had it happen in the past. And they do say "Call for availability".

If you look real close at the eCost site the black E20 is at the $600 price, but the silver one is still at the $750 price.

When there is no documentation in English about a model, I'd be real skeptical about getting that model soon. Toshiba has a DVD-RAM recorder on the "market". But try to find one in America.

I hope it's true, because it would mean that RAM is winning the format battle. . .but I think it's an advertising gimmick right now.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Ecost.com is taking preorders on the Panasonic DMR-E30 DVD recorder. Their cost is $554.06
searching on mysimon.com, I see that PCMall lists them, for $700.

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Interesting,

But I think the british version wouldn't have progressive scan (in fact, the UK units usually have SCART connections, not even component outputs).

Does anyone know what the difference would be between this unit and the E20 is?

Has anyone (CKNA) gotten this unit to work multiregion and PAL? How about recording from PAL sources?

·
Registered
826 Posts
The British unit is listed as have an SCART connection. eCost says that the e30 has progressive output, but that's the only technical data I've seen on it. There is a Japanese site with lots of Japanese if you read that language. I don't.

I'd be surprised to see this on the market any time soon. But I'm no insider.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see that crutchfield has the E30 listed online now.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...MRE30S&o=m&a=0

But of course they don''t have any in stock. It's a good sign that it's going to come out very soon though. Crutchfield has always listed stuff, then in a couple of days to a week later they are in stock....

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Crutchfield listed expected date of the E30 as being 8/05/02.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I just ordered an E-30 from Crutchfield this morning, and they are promising delivery during the first week in August.

Cheers,

Peter M

·
Registered
35 Posts
What do you think the E20 well drop to in the US when the E30 hits the market at its lower price?

Are the Black and Silver E20 the same? Just a color dif?

Thanks..

Knn

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I find it interesting that Crutchfield lists both models (E-20 & E-30) at the same price (799.00). There is no difference between the black or silver models other than ascetics.

Judging from past experience, this tells me the E-20 will probably be phased out to make way for the E-30 and the other new models coming around the bend.

Matsushita intends to win the format war the same way they crushed Sony's beta format: Put out a decent piece of equipment that's affordable to the masses and get one in the majority of homes ASAP. Once they get the foothold, the other competitors are finished.

And to all the doubting Thomas's out there who are too young to remember the Beta/VHS wars: There actually was a time when Sony swore vehemently that they'd NEVER produce a VHS machine.

I just can't believe some of these companies are falling into the same trap! But I guess that's what happens when one doesn't take interest in past history; they're doomed to relive it, as they say.

Cheers,

Peter M

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Matsushita bought JVC and operated it independently. There's a nice written history of Beta vs. VHS here:

http://www.medialinenews.com/issues/...e0515_01.shtml

Sony has ceased to be a dominating force in the consumer electronics game. They continue to put out technologies and don't license them enough, so there is little market penetration compared to companies that play ball. The latest is the micro-DV camcorder.

What was this thread about? Oh yeah, still wating for my E30, probably a month to go from the sound of it.

M

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by moore

Sony has ceased to be a dominating force in the consumer electronics game. They continue to put out technologies and don't license them enough, so there is little market penetration compared to companies that play ball. The latest is the micro-DV camcorder.

M
I couldn't agree more, what were they thinking with "Memory stick", did the marketplace really need another removeable memory standard? Mini-disc has been rendered irrelevant with the proliferation of MP3 static, hard drive, and CD players (including mini CDs). But I still swear by my Digital 8 Camcorder. Allowed a smooth transition from Hi8 to the digital realm by allowing me to use and play back my less expensive legacy media.

Vic

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.