AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice there isn't much in the way of actual experiences with this recorder. Anyone care to share? Any surprises, pleasant or otherwise? I notice that blanks DVD-R discs range from about $.70 to $4--what brand names/internet sources have you found for blanks that you recommend or caution against?

I have a DMR-E30 on order and I also ordered some blanks from Meritline.com (25 Pack Accu 4.7GB DVD-R (Silver/Purple) General for 29.50). I'll post my results here later.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I just got this model last night. I decided to go with this over the HS2 since I already have a DirecTivo and don't need the HS2 features. The only thing that would have been nice was the firewire, but I can live without that I think. So far I'm VERY pleased.

The only real negative I have for it so far is the menu system and not being able to add chapter points. I still have a lot more playing around to do though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
fkubick,

If you search for a thread on Vivistar DVD-R's you will find a few pages of comments on various media that works well (for under $1) with the Panasonic DMR-E20, E30, and HS2. I had a very bad experience with generic Meritline discs - but they had no problem taking them back when they didn't work. I am fairly sure they are not the same ones you mentioned. The 100 pack of Vivistar's from Atdiscount.com worked great, but no one seems to be able to find that brand anymore. I have also succesfully used Memorex and Imation.

As far as the recorder, I think it is a solid product that clearly learns from its predecessors (smaller size, etc.) but don't much care for the remote. (It's important because you use the remote for entering all titles.) I am sure that in the near future we will also see machines that will allow thumbnails in chapter stops or the ability to actually program where you want your chapters, etc. but for now, I would say that I am very happy with its results and overall build quality.

Regards,

Matt

·
Registered
787 Posts
I've had the E30 for a couple of months now and am very happy with it. I use it mainly for recording TV movies which I then play back. The picture quality is very good.

One thing I wish this recorder could do is allow you to play back a 16:9 movie in the Pan&Scan mode. But then I don't think any other recorder (or plain DVD player) allows you to do that (correct me if I am wrong).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Accu brand DVD-Rs work FLAWLESSLY on all of the Panny recorders, so you made a great choice. Those DVD-Rs are all I get now and I could not be any happier with them.

·
Registered
651 Posts
anybody else with good results on the ACCU brand DVD-Rs?

Anyway, I have this unit for a couple of months too, although I now rely more on the HS2 because I don't need to keep changing DVD-RAMs. The advantage though on the E30 is there is barely any noise from the HDD.

The forum has a lot more comments on this machine and DVD-Rs:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7&goto=newpost
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1&goto=newpost
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7&goto=newpost
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9&goto=newpost

The only way I get around the pan-&-scan is by blowing up the picture using my Sony 10HT. Works out fine too if your 16x9 has this zoom feature.

Also, it looks like it is ok to leave this unit on all the time as long as you don't have DVDs in there, if you use this unit to plug you line inputs from (like satellite, cable, etc)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JustinCheckin
it looks like it is ok to leave this unit on all the time as long as you don't have DVDs in there, if you use this unit to plug you line inputs from (like satellite, cable, etc)
Why can't you leave a DVD in the E30? My cable TV signals go from the cable box thru the E30 and into the TV -- and I always have a DVD in the E30 while watching TV, yet I don't see what harm it's doing. Unless I don't understand what you're saying.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would NEVER buy a DMR-E30 or another Panasonic Product!!! Anyone else had problems with the Panasonic DMR-E20? Here's what I've had to deal with & posted on Cnet, Epinions, etc... > "I'm on my 2nd one of these junk machines. My first recorder would only format 2 out of 16 disks! And yes, 1 of those was a plain non-magazine-type PANASONIC Disc. The 2nd recorder, well, it decides to put on the "Disc Protection Lock" when it feels like it, all by itself! So you wind up missing shows because it thinks the "Stupid Disc Protect" feature is engaged! It's Funny to note that this 2nd DMW-E20 had No Problem formatting those exact same discs that the 1st machine couldn't - even formatted the Panasonic Disc! Panasonic Tech Support was No Use At All! Someone reading the instruction manual to me over the phone is NOT help, Panasonic!! I know how to read, Panasonic, & I read the manual Before I set up the unit. I'm a guy that Everyone else comes to, to help them set up Their audio/video equipment. I am Completely Disappointed in Panasonic's Total Lack of help in this matter and this company that I WAS so fond of, has really changed for the worse! :( I'm back to using my old Panasonic S-VHS VCR but soon Philips, Pioneer or Sony will have a New Customer." When I asked a guy at Circuit City, he said they had "Some returns, but they were because people couldn't figure out how to work it." I think it's Defective Merchandise & if anyone hears of a Recall or Class Action Lawsuit on the DMR-E20's, Please let me know! Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would say you are an isolated case sg1. I (and most others) have had nothing but success from my E20 & HS2. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SergeantD
I would say you are an isolated case sg1. I (and most others) have had nothing but success from my E20 & HS2. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
Thanks for your thoughts SergeantD, but it's Panasonic who should be sorry! LOL! I know that www.cnet.com has/had posts about DMR-E20 problems like I have and their are other sites with bad postings too. I remember when I was thinking about buying a Sony WEGA, then I found a site with Hundreds of complaints about them. Glad you haven't had any problems - you're lucky! :)

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I'm lucky too, hurray!

Happy E20/HS-2 Owner

BTW - I went to CNET to check out your story. CNET had it rated as the number 3 recorder (with E30 being number one). Of the 45 written user comments there were 7 thumbs down. One of those was by someone who didn't even have firsthand experience with the recorder. Another was by someone who has a Pioneer 7000, another was disappointed in the lack high end DVD Player features. The remaining four (including you, sg1efc) complained about disk errors. The symptoms desribed sounded suspiciously like bad media was the true culprit. The fact that you had different experiences with your media (you don't bother saying what you used besides the one Panasonic disk) seems to back this up. Poor quality DVD-RAM cartridge media (e.g., memorex) is known to have problems with the mechanical write protect interlock on the cartridge causing the disk to be "stuck" in write protect mode regardless of the position of the switch (I have a bad one myself). You may want to check into that yourself.

It's possible you may have gotten two lemons, however, its not productive/informative to trash the product line based on your isolated experience. DVD recording is an iffy proposition at best because of all the variables that can affect the success of the final outcome (media, record mode, DVD player variations, etc...). Bottom line, if you look at user feedback here and at other sites like CNET, you are definitely in the small minority of users with respect to your experiences with this product line.

Vic

·
Registered
93 Posts
I love my E20. I have had the disc protect feature automatically engage 2 times on 2 different discs. I then took the disc out and put it in again and in both cases the disc protect feature disengaged. So, I blame it on the ram disc case not the player. Sorry to hear you have problems. I have nothing bad to say about my player.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.