AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased this unit to archive shows from my DirecTIVO to DVD-R. My existing setup has been working fine using the audio-video cable from the DTIVO into my receiver and then the video output of the receiver to my TV.

So to make as few changes as possible I thought that I would take the coax output from my DTIVO which is not currently in use (and has the same signal as the audio-video cable output) and use that as the input signal on the E80. Then take the coax output on the E80 and attach that to the coax input on my TV. During normal viewing I would select the audio-video cable input on the TV and when creating a DVD recording I would select the coax cable input on the TV.

Well the DTIVO video signal definitely makes it through the E80 and to the TV. What I can't do is get any of the E80 functions to display on the TV through the coax connection. I then tried connecting the E80 to my TV with an audio-video cable and everything works fine. I have already started recording data to the HDD for editting and transfer to DVD-R. The problem is that I have to move the original video cable from my receiver back to the TV when I'm not using the E80 :-( It's no so easy reaching behind the TV.

After a long explanation, basically I just want to confirm if I should be able to use the coax output of the E80 as I originally was trying to configure ?

Thanks for you help.

· Registered
322 Posts
In the olden days, you connected your antenna to your VCR and your VCR to your TV using the RF cables. The RF OUT on the VCR just passed the RF signal from the RF IN unless you hit the "TV/VCR" button, in which case the RF out on the VCR was the video signal generated in the VCR, either from its tuner or from whatever tape was being played.

Does this have a TV/VCR button someplace?

· Registered
19 Posts
s11018,

Assuming that the E80 is the same as the E60 except for the fact that it has a hard drive, I think the manual states that you have to use the composit or S-Video cables to have the on screen menus available. In other words, the on screen menus don't display via the RF coax.

I could be wrong but I think I remember reading that in my E60 manual. As I am currently at work I cannot check but I will check this evening and confirm if the manual does indeed state this or not.

Regards,

Scott

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Duh :(

I must have read through the manual 3 or 4 times and never noticed the statement plain as day that I can't do this. I looked at the wiring diagrams and they show the coax connection going to the TV. But in one small paragraph it actually states that the coax will pass antenna signal but not the E80 audio/video.

I guess I will have to upgrade my A/V receiver to one that has more input/output selections so I don't have to keep moving cables :)

Thanks for making me read the manual for the 5th time.

· Registered
19 Posts
s11018,

Sorry to give you news you didn't want to hear and to have forced you to read the manual again. I agree with you that the paragraph is small and easy to pass over. The manual is not well written.

I am glad to have been able to clear up your problem.

Regards,

Scott

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by s11018
So to make as few changes as possible I thought that I would take the coax output from my DTIVO which is not currently in use (and has the same signal as the audio-video cable output) and use that as the input signal on the E80.
One other thing, even though you are apparently abandoning this approach.

The coax output of devices (e.g. VCRs, Tivos, etc) when they are actually driving the output (not just passing through the original cable signal) is

mono. So you're losing the stereo signal. And even if your TV still has the stereo light on, it's lying. (Though usually people see this when they have the TV set to one of the video inputs -- the TV's stereo indicator is showing you the stereo-ness of its TUNER even if you're currently not viewing that).

BTW -- I like the idea of the coax pass through. I will be able to get rid of some splitters (which seem to be wrecking my signal). I'll do coax -> E80 -> Tivo -> TV, and put the Tivo in standby for the hopefully rare times I want to use the TV's tuner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.