AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a Panasonic DMR-E80H DVD-R player and I also have Time Warner Cable with "Dig"(not HD) Cable and a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 cable box. My problem is that the DVD-R when I try to Auto Find channels DOESN'T. It tries and doesn't find them. I have tried almost any combinations of things and have not gotten it to work. The DVD player plays fine, and it sends "Video" set up menu's and Blue Screen signal to the TV, but no "TV."

I went to the Cable Box Manufacturers web site and looked at the manual for the box, and noticed they make a kluge add on external "Bypass Module" that seems to have something to do with recordable machines. Of course my Cable provider TWC is no help, as they want me to buy their DVR service. Does anyone have any suggestions??? HELP!

For further clarification....

Sorry I guess I assumed that it would be understood that the DVD-R was set up in the conventional way. The DVD-R is connected to the Cable Box with a piece of Coax and outputs to TV via Coax, and S video, so that the cable box video signal goes through the passive "Pass Thru" when the DVD-R is off and feeds the Recorder. The DVD played outputs to the TV via SVideo. And yes I want to record Analog TV.

Thank You

Colin Brown

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Doesn't your Cable Box have Audio/Video Outputs?

If it does, Plug the Cable BOX A/V Outputs Into one of the Panasonic's A/V Inputs. Now everytime you want to record a "Digital Channel" just set the Recorder to that Input & use the Cable Box to select the "Digital Channel" you want to record.

The Recorder will still record all the "Analog Channels" just as before if you have the antenna connected to the recorder.

HOW TO CONNECT THE ANTENNA:

Cable That Comes Into House Is Connected To "RF ANT IN" on Recorder

Recorder "RF ANT Out" Is Connected To Cable Box "RF ANT IN"

Cable Box Is Connected To The TV

With this set up you can record any "Analog Channel" & watch Any Channel you want on the TV at the same time.

When you are recording "Digital Channels" you can only watch that channel.

Most cable boxes today have an ON/OFF TIMER & what you do to record a Timer Recording of the "Digital Channels" is to set the Cable Box to come on & go to the channel you want to record & then set the Panny to come on & record from the Input that the Cable Box is hooked up to.

EXAMPLE:

You Want To Record a Program Friday From 10PM to 11PM on CH 225

1. Set Cable Box To Come "ON" at 9:55PM

Tune To CH 225

Turn "OFF" at 11:05PM

2. Set Panasonic Recorder To Come "ON" at 10:00PM

Tune To INPUT 2 (Instead Of A Channel Number)

(The Same Input That The Cable Box Is Connected To)

Turn "OFF" at 11:00PM

Hope This Helps You Out!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So your saying tap into the Video outs of the box, blowing off the RF cable? I will give that a try, tonight. thanks.

I have the DVD player connected corectly, with input RF Cable FROM cable box and out put RF and SVid. The unit works fine as player, and sends video to TV but WILL NOT find channels from CABLE. It is either a problem with the Cable Box's "By Pass" feature, or maybe I've blown the Tuner in the DVD player, when the Hard Drive crashed. I replaced the HD. Could the tuner be blown. Thanks

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
For a test to see if your Panny's Tuner is ok I would first hook the main cable line that comes into the house (Out of the wall?) directly to your tv & set the tv to receive "CATV" channels & see what you get.

If you do receive "Analog Channels" on the tv (CH 1-125) then disconnect the cable from the tv & hook it directly to the Panasonic Recorder "ANT IN" & set the recorder to receive "CATV" channels & see if you get the same "Analog Channels" that the tv was getting, if not then the tuner in the recorder is shot.

Let me know how you make out after you try the "Analog Channel" test & then we can take it from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts