AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so what has happened to my Panny DMR-E80H dvd recorder? The dvr section works fine. However, all of a sudden when I put in a blank dvd-r disc, disc error pops up on screen and on the unit display it says "no read". It will not even play back discs that were originally recorded on it (the same errors pop up), but it will play pre-recorded boughten discs fine. Anybody have any answers or suggestions? Is this thing fried? Any responces will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

RB

·
Registered
103 Posts
There are a number of possibilities. Here are a few:

1) The DVD lens may need cleaning. Have you tried a lens cleaning disc?

2) The actual discs may need cleaning as well. Wipe with warm soapy water and dry with a very soft cloth.

3) The Panny may need to be reset. Unplug the power over night and try again the next day.

4) The Panny may need to be updated. Have you installed the firmware update that became available about two years ago?

If none of the above seem to cure the problem.... it is likely that your DVD drive is pooping out and may need to be replaced... unfortunately (with time and continued use) it is destined to happen sooner or later.

Good luck.

BTW you mentioned DVD-r disks, but does this also happen with RAM disks?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buster, Thanks much for your suggestions:

1. Yes I have tried using a lens cleaner....it worked for a few minutes and then went back into error mode.

2. Yes I have made sure the discs are clean.

3. I have unplugged it for over a week, the problems still exist.

4. No, I haven't installed any updates....without sounding stupid, how do you do that?

5. RAM discs do work as do any pre-recorded movie or tv show discs that you buy. It simply will not recognize any blank disc or even any discs that were recorded on it. I've tried Panasonic discs, Maxell, Memorex etc....all with the same results. I've probably recorded about 50 discs on it that do still play on my main JVC dvd player. I suppose the unit is toast except for use as a dvd player and for use as a dvr.

Thanks so much for your suggestions though.

RB

·
Registered
103 Posts
The firmware updates are FREE and available here:

Panasonic Firmware Upgrades

Just scroll down until you find the link for the E80 model.

READ THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE AND COPY THEM TO YOUR DESKTOP... the upgrade can seem a little tricky at first.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retromzc /forum/post/0

Buster, Thanks much for your suggestions:

1. Yes I have tried using a lens cleaner....it worked for a few minutes and then went back into error mode.

2. Yes I have made sure the discs are clean.

3. I have unplugged it for over a week, the problems still exist.

4. No, I haven't installed any updates....without sounding stupid, how do you do that?

5. RAM discs do work as do any pre-recorded movie or tv show discs that you buy. It simply will not recognize any blank disc or even any discs that were recorded on it. I've tried Panasonic discs, Maxell, Memorex etc....all with the same results. I've probably recorded about 50 discs on it that do still play on my main JVC dvd player. I suppose the unit is toast except for use as a dvd player and for use as a dvr.

Before you toast you E80, try a simple test:

Set the E80 clock manually and turn DST OFF.

This may not solve your problem but it has helped several Panny and Philips owners with "somewhat" similar problems.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Buster and Wab, I will look into both of these options.

Thanks again

RB

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:

Ok, so what has happened to my Panny DMR-E80H dvd recorder? The dvr section works fine. However, all of a sudden when I put in a blank dvd-r disc, disc error pops up on screen and on the unit display it says "no read". It will not even play back discs that were originally recorded on it (the same errors pop up), but it will play pre-recorded boughten discs fine. Anybody have any answers or suggestions? Is this thing fried? Any responces will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

RB

I just had the same problem happen 2 days ago with my formerly perfect Pioneer 640H recorder. In addition to not reading any blank disks, it will also not read pre-recorded disks. I've had this unit for almost 10 months, and have made at least 1000 dvds with it. I suppose dvd burners only have so many miles on them, sort of like automobile tires. I still have 2 months of warranty time, so I plan to have Pioneer fix my machine.

Ironically, I had just picked up a Pioneer 540H model as a back-up, and installed it in 5 minutes before I found the 640h died!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I tried the firmware upgrade and the manual clock reset, neither solved the problem, so I guess this unit is only good as a HDD recorder and to play back pre-recorded discs. This machine recorded a grand total of 57 discs before it died, I'd certainly think it should have lived a longer life. Since there is no warranty left I'd bet that repair costs would be more than buying another unit. Anyway, thanks for your suggestions guys! Sorry to hear about your problem also "Searchers". Frustrating isn't it?

RB

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Actually, people have been getting their Panny's repaired at a reasonable $130 flat rate including one way shipping. Search the forum for details.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:

Well, I tried the firmware upgrade and the manual clock reset, neither solved the problem, so I guess this unit is only good as a HDD recorder and to play back pre-recorded discs. This machine recorded a grand total of 57 discs before it died, I'd certainly think it should have lived a longer life. Since there is no warranty left I'd bet that repair costs would be more than buying another unit. Anyway, thanks for your suggestions guys! Sorry to hear about your problem also "Searchers". Frustrating isn't it?

RB

I just had the same thing happen to my e80h. Just call Panasonic's factory repair center at 847-468-5543 and leave your contact info on the voice mail. They'll call you back to confirm the problem and then fax an RMA form to you. The repair cost is a flat $130 and that includes shipping via the UPS store. Really, it's a much better deal than spending $500 on a new machine.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Doc and Vferrari, I'll give them a call on Monday.

RB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts