AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just moved and had to switch from DirecTV to Comcast.  I connected my Panasonic DMR-E85H DVD Recorder to my new Comcast DCH3416 HD-DVR box exactly the same way as I had with my previous DirecTV non-HD DVR box, yet its not working this time because I can only get video, NO SOUND from the Comcast cable box? I've tried everything and can't figure out what's wrong, please help!

Here's my setup (done according to my E85H manual):

Comcast DCH3416 HD-DVR:

HDMI out to HDTV

S-video and audio out to Panasonic DVD Recorder

Panasonic DMR-E85H DVD Recorder:

IN from Comcast DVR S-video and audio

OUT to HDTV regular video and audio

Sharp HDTV:

IN from Comcast DVR HDMI

IN from Panasonic DVR regular video and audio

OUT to A/V Receiver audio

A/V Receiver

IN from HDTV

Since I'm getting the video from Comcast, I should be getting the audio as well, right? This is what I don't get. Also, the connection out to TV works perfectly, I can watch what's already recorded on my HD on the Panasonic DVR through the TV with full video and sound.

I tried calling Comcast, but the tech guy refuses to help because Comcast is only liable to connect your Comcast cable box to your TV, not any other 3rd party equipment. Great, thanks so much after I am on hold for 30 min. He did say the HDMI out and video/audio out from the Comcast box should not conflict with each other, so theoretically both the TV and the Panasonic DVR should get sound from Comcast.

Any help is greatly appreciated - thank you so much!!

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
I'd try running your audio and video straight from your Comcast STB to your TV. If you're still not getting sound then call Comcast and tell them your STB is not outputting sound. This way your E85H is not in the picture.

Does your STB have another audio output your could try? Also does your STB remote have a volume control? It's possible (but not probable) the volume control could only control the line output but not the HDMI volume.

It sounds like you've got everything hooked up correctly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response! I should clarify that when I just watch Comcast, everything is fine, since the HDMI connection from the Comcast box to the HDTV has both video and audio, and from the TV the audio goes out to the A/V receiver. So unfortunately I can't pin this on Comcast . .

It's also fine when I watch what's already recorded on my Panasonic DVR's HD through the TV, so I know the connection to the TV is fine. It's just when I try to record from Comcast . . just video, no sound.

Did anyone else ever have issues trying to record from Comcast DCH3416? I wonder if the audio signal is going to the TV via the HDMI connection and that's why I'm not getting audio through the regular RCA cables I'm using to connect to the Panasonic DVR? I seriously can't think of anything else . .

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
I still think you should run the audio out(from your Comcast STB) directly to your TV(or anything that can accept and amplify line output audio). You need to verify if it's you're:

1. Comcast STB line audio output

2. Audio cable out of your STB to DVDR

3. DVDR audio line input

Watching your STB via HDMI doesn't verify any of the above, it bypasses everything.

·
Registered
13,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by astoria26 /forum/post/18147540

Did anyone else ever have issues trying to record from Comcast DCH3416? I wonder if the audio signal is going to the TV via the HDMI connection and that's why I'm not getting audio through the regular RCA cables I'm using to connect to the Panasonic DVR? I seriously can't think of anything else . .

Do as jjeff has suggested. Disconnect the L/R audio from the STB to the E-85 and run it directly to the TV or the AVR to determine that audio is being output from the STB in the first place. If it is then your E-85 may have an input problem. Since there are 3 inputs on the E-85 you would have a number of places to try and plug in if one input is dead.

PS - double check your connections and make sure you don't have video going into input 1 and audio going into input 2.

PPS - most TV's do not output 5.1 from their DAO that was received by HDMI. Generally only 5.1 that is received from the tuner is output. You might want to check the display of the AVR to see if is really receiving 5.1 from the TV. You may have to run the DAO from the STB to your AVR.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/18147907

PPS - most TV's do not output 5.1 from their DAO that was received by HDMI. Generally only 5.1 that is received from the tuner is output. You might want to check the display of the AVR to see if is really receiving 5.1 from the TV. You may have to run the DAO from the STB to your AVR.

You did say most but I just wanted to verify my Sony HDTV(LCD) will output 5.1 from DAO(optical) received from HDMI, and I'm glad it does. My Tivo HD goes HDMI to TV and my TV outputs optical to AVR. I can listen to my Tivo, DVD player(HDMI to TV), (2) DVDRs(HDMI to TV) or live TV(tuned on TV) in 5.1 through my AVR. If it didn't work this way I'd be hosed since my AVR only has one optical and one coax 5.1 input

Odd thing is though even when I play a DVD that's not recorded in 5.1 my AVR screen says 5.1
I do get true 5.1 though if the source is 5.1

·
Registered
13,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/18148109

You did say most but I just wanted to verify my Sony HDTV(LCD) will output 5.1 from DAO(optical) received from HDMI, and I'm glad it does. My Tivo HD goes HDMI to TV and my TV outputs optical to AVR. I can listen to my Tivo, DVD player(HDMI to TV), (2) DVDRs(HDMI to TV) or live TV(tuned on TV) in 5.1 through my AVR. If it didn't work this way I'd be hosed since my AVR only has one optical and one coax 5.1 input

Odd thing is though even when I play a DVD that's not recorded in 5.1 my AVR screen says 5.1
I do get true 5.1 though if the source is 5.1

I remember you saying your Sony did that. I wish my Panasonic did. Fortunately my AVR has 4 DAI's so I'm not hurting. I have most components running through the AVR anyway -- just the TiVo and the TV run DAO to the AVR (I also have the TiVo running HDMI into the TV). If your AVR displays 5.1 no matter what, are you sure it's true 5.1 and not a ProLogic II or DTS sound field from the AVR?

·
Registered
11,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/18148268

If your AVR displays 5.1 no matter what, are you sure it's true 5.1 and not a ProLogic II or DTS sound field from the AVR?

Yes it's true 5.1 and sounds the same as if I ran my devices directly to my AVR. I wonder if in the TV outputs the 5.1 signal even if it's sent stereo to it's HDMI input? My AVR says 5.1 but it's just stereo to the speakers.

I admit I'm kind of a 5.1 newb but I can tell true 5.1 vs. simulated and it's true 5.1 even running my DVD through the TV. My AVR has no HDMI inputs, only optical, coax and analog stereo inputs.

edit:see post #11, I now don't think my TV is passing 5.1 from it's HDMI inputs to optical audio out. I'll take a little salt with my crow

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jjeff and Kelson - you guys rock!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH, it worked!

I took off the HDMI cable and connected the RCA cables to the TV from the Comcast box like you suggested. Same thing happened: no sound. So I checked the Comcast audio on the box - and voila, that's the issue! I can't believe it's something little like that!
Yeah, the volume was super low. Turned it up; problem solved!

So apparently the HDMI *does* bypass everything - wow, cool tool.

Thanks again! You guys are the best. Now if only the Comcast tech support ppl were as helpful and friendly as you guys . .

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Glad you got it figured out

Now if I can only figure out my AVR 5.1 situation. Contrary to what I thought I don't think my Sony LCD is truly passing 5.1 from it's HDMI inputs to it's optical audio out. I get a true center channel but I believe the SR and SL are just a duplicate of the FR and FL channels
Since this is not the thread to continue this talk I PM'd Kelson to see if he knows what might be happening. I just wanted to update this thread saying I now think I was incorrect on my previous post. If that's not the case I'll update this post.

edit: Post #12 is correct, I only get simulated 5.1(PL II) out of my TV if it's source is HDMI. The TV will output 5.1 only if tuned to a channel(with it's tuner) and that channel is broadcasting 5.1 . Bummer, shoots my idea of using the TV as a switcher and outputting 5.1 to my AVR

·
Registered
13,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/18151919

Contrary to what I thought I don't think my Sony LCD is truly passing 5.1 from it's HDMI inputs to it's optical audio out. I get a true center channel but I believe the SR and SL are just a duplicate of the FR and FL channels

As I PM'd, Dolby Pro Logic II sound field does a really good job simulating 5.1 from 2.0, which could fool you especially with TV since 5.1 sound on most network broadcasts is not really very good. But no matter how good PL-II is, it's still not true 5.1 -- it's like watching upconverted SD, lacks the true punch of the real thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.