AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a strange problem occur on my Panasonic DMR-E85H.

A few days ago I set a program to record(1 hour) on the DMR-E85H's HDD and only approximately 7 minutes recorded.

Today I had the timer set to record an hour long program and basically the same problem happened again. Only 32 minutes recorded and it paused a few times during playback. I was able to fast forward past the paused section and get it to play again.

I tried deleting the bad recording from the HDD and I got a message saying 'Invalid In Recording' and was not able to delete it. I also couldn't shut the recorder off. It was basically frozen.

I had to unplug it and when I plugged it back in it immediately went into 'Self Check' mode. After it ran the Self Check mode it seems OK.

I have the recorder hooked up to a Verizon FIOS cable box. I also have a Panasonic DMR-E100H, also hooked up to a Verizon FIOS cable box and have never had this problem occur.

Has anyone experienced this with one of the Panasonic HDD recorders?

·
Registered
11,544 Posts

I haven't but if I had to guess I'd say it was either your HDD going or the power supply capacitors starting to go and acting intermittent. Both can be done as a DIY project but would require a soldering iron, possibly locating a replacement HDD and patience. AVS member Mickinct has done many of these repairs and you might want to send him a PM, he has lots of high praise from basically everyone who has used his services. He's out of CT and most people probably just ship to him.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also tried dubbing a program from the HDD to a DVD-R and I'm getting errors. I'll contact Mickinct.

I forgot to mention the dubbing error seems to be only with a real time dub. High Speed dubbing seems to be OK.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I had a similar problem with a DMR-E85H. I had recorded, stored, dubbed and erased so many programs, that the hard drive was severely fragmented.

Solution was to dub off everything I could, and then format the hard drive within the recorder.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dubbed off everything and reformatted the Hard Drive and the problem is still happening. The recorder keeps going into Self Check mode and every time I turn the power on it has an error.

·
Registered
13,272 Posts
Is this the original Maxtor drive in the E85H? If it is it is way past its lifetime and may be going bad. I had some bizzare problems with my E85 when it came to recording problems that seemed to be guide related. Once my drive failed completely and I replaced it, all the bizarre problems I had been seeing disappeared. As jjeff has indicated, it could also be a capacitor problem, but if it is the original drive I would be leaning that way initially.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got my E85H used but I believe it has the original Hard Drive. I'm sending it to Mickinct so I'll see what he says.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts