AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a "new" DMR-E85H at Circuit City, Open Box for under $200. It is missing the remote control, and none of my cheapo universal controllers seem to work it. Currently its just stuck on the TV Guide Setup page, and it seems that you have to have the correct remote to move forward with it.

I have an MX-500, but it is now several years old, and I doubt would have any codes that could help me out?

Is my best bet, assuming I want to keep it, to just buy one of the replacement remotes that are pretty easy to track down on the web? Or is there something that I can do with the MX-500 that I'm not aware of? Or another universal or other option?

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Just pick the remote up from Panny's parts department. It's actually cheaper than getting it from someplace like Remotes.com or whatever. You need the original remote because that's the only way you can access the TVGOS EPG (and the only way you can set manual timer recordings via the EPG interface). Good luck.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ralphy2004 - I was in pretty much the same situation a few months ago and would second (or is it third?) your idea of just getting the replacement remote. I got mine from Best Buy's replacement part's service, gotten to from the Best Buy home page. I believe this is the one I got, but you should double check:

http://bestbuy.partsearch.com/Produc...e=ACCS&ModelID

I have a Harmony Remote that I was able to use to set up and control the unit, but it was a very time consuming process to map the keys and it never worked too well in practice. Operating the 85H efficiently requires many presses of somewhat unique keys, and I was always having to page through many screens of choices to do anything. Although the Harmony sufficed until the replacement remote arrived, its much easier to operate the 85H with the original remote.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback, looks like a couple of great options. Directly from Panasonic is a bit cheaper but I assume I could return it to Best Buy if I find something wrong with the player after setup.

Having said that, though, would you keep the E85H and buy the remote separately (total about $230) or take it back and just get a cheaper non-HDD recorder like the E10 or Samsung 120? Is this player/recorder worth it at this total price? It also does not have the IR Blaster with it, so I won't be able to make it control the Cable box (likely not a huge deal).

·
Registered
151 Posts
I also purchased an E85H open box. Mine came with a remote, but it was the wrong one. I have an MX-700 remote, which I was able to program to control the E85H using the PC software. However, replacing the MX-500 would be a lot more money than picking up the manufacturers remote.

It is definately worth it to keep the E85H. The hard drive gives you much more recording flexibility, and the ability to edit before dumping to DVD.

Make sure you do the firmware upgrade from Panasonic, and search the forum for info on the best way to set the system options and for the best recording\\editing techniques. I learned a lot here.

Enjoy,

Chris.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.