AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help trying for figure out if this is a home repair or not! The DVD drive is no longer reading disks. The drive no longer reports a no disk message after removing a standard DVD, which it did before. Performed the cleaning procedure recommended by DigaDo without success. Thanks DigaDo for all the great tech support. Doesn't read any disks. The drive makes the following five sounds DIT, DIT, DIT, DIT, DA, displays a flashing no read message. The disk appears to spin just a bit and laser emits as it bumps up against the spindle/drive motor.

Can't remember when I bought the 38V, 1 or 2 years ago from Fry's, but it has XV-2010 ink stamped on the case.

Would appreciate if someone knows were the micro switch for sensing the disk

and solenoid/relay to make sure the cam is working, or any other info.

Thanks,

xDSLdude

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
It woulds very much like my machine did when the DVD drive went out. I believe it is probably the laser pickup. It is very unlkely to be an easy_fix/user_repair. EDither send it in for Panasonic repair, or replace it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just did an impulse buy of a new DVD drive from Panasonic.

Just hoping that the new drive will be able to read disks without having

to align the new drive. I am assuming that the drive already has that info stored on its motherboard.

See what happens when you assume!

xDSLdude

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lrkuta,

Bought the drive from Panasonic. You can look up the model #(DMPea38v) in my case and locate the part VXY2010 for $135.69

http://www.pstc.panasonic.com/Epartr/PartsList.asp

Tried to get the infamous $130 refurbish service mentioned on this forum, but Panasonic call center didn't have a clue what I was talking about. The drive is on backorder, to be shipped today per call center rep.

Keep ya posted!

xDSLdude

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDSLdude /forum/post/19602585

lrkuta,

Bought the drive from Panasonic. You can look up the model #(DMPea38v) in my case and locate the part VXY2010 for $135.69

http://www.pstc.panasonic.com/Epartr/PartsList.asp

Tried to get the infamous $130 refurbish service mentioned on this forum, but Panasonic call center didn't have a clue what I was talking about. The drive is on backorder, to be shipped today per call center rep.

Keep ya posted!

xDSLdude
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrkuta /forum/post/19597987

Hi, can you tell me where you got the replacement drive for your DVR?

How much did it cost?

Thanks.

When calling Panasonic Customer Service the script one hears doesn't include information concerning the flat-rate repair.

The $130 flat-rate repair has been available only through the Panasonic Service Center in Elgin Illinois:

Panasonic Service Center

410 B Airport Rd.

Elgin, IL 60123

1-847-468-5543

Panasonic's National Parts Center in Kent Washington may be contacted by calling 800-833-9626. Here is the parts website:

http://www.pstc.panasonic.com/Epartr...ListChoice.asp

Be sure to input the model number in order to find the correct parts. Except for 2008-2010 models, DVD Drives do not interchange between model years. Hard drive equipped models use DVD Drives that differ than those found in non-hard drive models.

Often, a DVD Drive just needs the routine lens, rubber hub and spindle area cleaning. Other times there are more serious problems that require parts replacement.

See this post for information concerning the DVD Drive lens, rubber hub and spindle area cleaning procedures:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/19602674

...Often, a DVD Drive just needs the routine lens, rubber hub and spindle area cleaning...

Not if it's making the noise he describes in the original post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/19602674

...Other times there are more serious problems that require parts replacement.

This is one of those times.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/19603258

Not if it's making the noise he describes in the original post.

This is one of those times.

That's clearly true with xDSLdude's problematic DVD Drive.

The linked cleaning advice might address lrkuta's DVD Drive situation (since there was no problem description provided for that DVD Drive). I've been suggesting that the sounds made by the DVD Drive are often the best indicators as to the nature of problem(s) with a DVD Drive.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/19603791

...I've been suggesting that the sounds made by the DVD Drive are often the best indicators as to the nature of problem(s) with a DVD Drive.

+1 from me on that statement.

The bip, bip, bip, bip, BUURP sound that my two recorders made, and that the OP described, indicate a failure of some kind in the DVD drive. This is not just a matter of cleaning, it's a broken drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Folks, Good news.

Thanks for all the info and tips.

DigaDo, right on point with the sounds the drive makes. Betweem the sounds and the fact that the drive did not return a "no disk" when empty msg, I knew

it was past cleaning.

The new drive arrived yesterday and is up and running fine.

The drive came shipped in a double box, with a return shipping tag to return the "DUD" core. Complete with a form to fill out for the technician on failure details and possible credit. Since I already have too many "parts for resuse", I am glad I can return the "core" so it can be refurbished for the next poor sap, and I may get some $'s credit. Not holding my breath though.

$135 +$14 tax + $23 shipping = $171.73

I did upgrade the firmware by downloading the latest file "PANA_DVD.FRM", which comes with installation instructions in PDF form - fixes listed below:

1 Firmware History

1.1 Applicable Models

DMR-EA38

Includes models with suffix K, S, V, VK, VP, or VS

1.2 Purpose

DE-347

Improved recording to DVD-R DL (Dual Layer) media.

DE-344

Improved recording operation when Line-In NR is set to ON.

DE-342

Fixed the instance where the DVD Recorder causes a Panasonic Plasma or LCD TV to switch to the HDMI input when the recorder begins a scheduled recording.

DE-339

Modified firmware for factory mode.

DE-337

Fixed the instance where "Restore Default Setting" is activated by selecting "YES".

Fixed an instance where the CEC did not work properly.

DE-336 Original Firmware.

Happy Holidays,

xDSLdude

1 - 10 of 10 Posts