AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the panasonic dmr-eh50 last year and it worked beautifully...now when i go to copy from an external source to a dvd, when i put the dvd in, it says, disc error, please check the disc (the discs are fine!)..or it will say the disc is not compatible but i know they are because they are the same ones i always use...is this a fixable problem or is a $500 recorder ready for the trash after a year?? do dvdr's bite the dust alot since i also have a toshiba dr-4 that now wont play dvd's at all....thanks for any info...

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Just a WAG: maybe a dirty laser lens? Try a $10 lens cleaner (disc) from Wal-Mart?

If there's dust, pet dander, cigarette smoke, etc. near the unit, a pretty good film could easily be "siphoned" into the spinning disc mechanism and build up. Last week, I was surprised to see that our unit had a layer of dust just below the tray's front panel...we don't smoke and we dust often...apparently not good enough...white gloves next time!

Even one dust mite can cover over 400 tracks of a disc...female mite, at least...they're plumper than the males.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so is it possible if i take them apart and clean them really good that they will work again? i was thinking of taking the panasonic to a service center to see if they could fix it but didnt really know if it would be cost effective..

·
Registered
2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by llilmama40 /forum/post/0

I bought the panasonic dmr-eh50 last year and it worked beautifully...now when i go to copy from an external source to a dvd, when i put the dvd in, it says, disc error, please check the disc (the discs are fine!)..or it will say the disc is not compatible but i know they are because they are the same ones i always use...is this a fixable problem or is a $500 recorder ready for the trash after a year?? do dvdr's bite the dust alot since i also have a toshiba dr-4 that now wont play dvd's at all....thanks for any info...

Are you able to record on DVD from any other source? Is it able to play back finalized or store-bought DVDs? What brand/type are the media with problems?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.