AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I have had my DMR-EH50 since August 2005, I just called Panasonic this morning for the firmware update cd for the machine. I thought it was free but they charged me $4.95 + shipping. Total price is almost $10!

For those who have received firmware update cd's from Panasonic in the past, have they always charged customers for them?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Don't know what Panasonic's past practice was regarding charging for firmware upgrade CD's but I do know that all Panny DVD recorder firmware upgrades are available for free download from this site: http://www.pasctraining.panasonic.co...nloads/DVD.ASP

Sorry they soaked you for $10 for something they are providing free of charge for the taking on their site. Didn't they mention that it was available for free download and give you that option? I'm assuming, of course, you have the means to download and burn your own CD - disregard if that is not the case.

·
Registered
817 Posts
In that link it says the "Improvements and/or

Alleviated Issues" for the EH50 are:
Quote:
1.1 Applicable Models

DMR-EH50

Includes models with suffix K, S, V, VK, or VS

1.2 Purpose

UA-340

• Countermeasure of freezing or picture darkness on DVD playback through Set Top Box made by Scientific Atlanta Model# Explorer 3250.

UA-338

• Countermeasure for that data was rarely recorded on wrong position when Audio/Video Stream is recorded on HDD which has much fragmentation and is recorded almost fully.

• Countermeasure for that Audio/Video Stream data was occasionally read from wrong position when a file (program) which has much fragmentation is played back.

UA-337

• Countermeasure for OPU lens tarnish by optimizing focus actuator drive system.

• Improve performance for DVD-RW/ -R/ +R.

UA-336

• Improvement of performance for DVD-R/+R and DVD-RW.

·
Registered
11,579 Posts
I was never changed for a firmware update disc! Either this is something new to soak people with, or I was waved the change for some reason. Sounds petty to me. After all the disc is to correct "problems" they had with firmware. A free disc is the least they could do for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts