AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My DMR-EH50 keeps showing 'Error has occurred Please press enter'.

Doing so just causes it to shut off and back on again with the exact same message as soon as the 'IN1 Hello' appears on the display. It won't respond to any other buttons on the remote (except the power - which does the same thing) or even the pressing of the channel up/down arrows. It all happened when I was dividing a title. I even tried umplugging it for 5 or 10 minutes - still no help. Any way to reset?

·
Registered
11,578 Posts
To do a hard reset on Panny's it has always been: on main unit hold both CH up and CH down at the same time, for 10 seconds. You could give that a try. It should set it back to factory defaults.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That still doesn't work. I even kept the both buttons pushed down while unplugging and replugging it in. I did manage to get it to accept a DVD (A major hassle just trying to get it to open the tray). Now it comes up with the message 'Please check the disc', then shuts off and comes back up with the message 'self check' on the clock display, then the same 'error has occurred' message on the TV. I noticed it always stays in HDD mode too.

·
Registered
11,578 Posts
Usually the CH up CH down does not have to be done while powering up, but if it did something for you I guess that's ok. Too bad it didn't fix anything. It sure sounds like you're HDD is hosed. If there was a way to switch modes to DVD you might be able to at least play a DVD.

It sounds similar to the problems I had with several EZ Panasonic DVDR's. I think they crashed during writing to a DVD. Then I got the U99 error. I would power down, try resetting, try ejecting, all to no avail. As soon as I would plug the machine in, it would try to read the DVD, then lock up with U99.

Your's sounds similar in that it keeps trying to look at the HDD, and there's a problem with it, and it is impossible to stop the unit from looking at it, which locks up the unit.

I'm guessing a new HDD in in your future.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took out the HD last night and connected it to my old win98 computer (in place of the CD drive) and the computer's BIOS detected it (showed the correct size and everything) but I couldn't get the drive letter to display in 'My computer'. I'm wondering if it really is bad or just fragmented? I really need to get the shows off of it before replacing or reformatting it though. Is there a way to do this using a computer? I know win98 usually requires special drivers for everything, but not XP. My new Dell uses ATAPI connectors so I couldn't hook it there, but I did find a USB to IDE adapter cable on the web just for hooking up old hard drives to any USB2.0 port.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Unfortunately, you will not be able to get the shows off the hdd using your PC. The pannys use a proprietary drive format and file structure that is not recognized by common operating systems like Windows and even Linux, nobody has yet been able to crack this (many have tried to enable HDD swapping or reformatting HDDs to higher than the stock capacities). Also, since you removed the HDD you may also have bought yourself a forced reformat when you attempt to re-install the HDD when the Panny firmware detects the disk (this stupid "feature" effectively precludes intentional HDD swapping (without destroying the recorded programs on the removed HDD)). However, the reformat may revive the original HDD at the cost of losing whatever programs you had stored on the HDD. I would try re-installing the HDD and let the Panny attempt to reformat the original HDD (again you will lose your programs but I think they are effectively gone already since you removed the disc) to see if the disc recovers functionality. If that fails, purchase a replacement HDD of preferably the same make, capacity, and rotational speed and the Panny will reformat that HDD such that you can regain functionality of your recorder. If you still can't recover the Panny at that point, then you can send the unit in for factory repair at the Elgin, IL repair facility and it should be repaired for about a $134 or so flat fee (regardless of the nature of the failure) which is not a bad price if a major circuit board, power supply, or the optical disc is the culprit. (I'm assuming, of course, that your unit is out-of-warranty). If you need to use the repair facility search this forum for the 800 number of the Elgin repair facility. Don't ever use an authorized repair center (they often don't have the Panny proprietary parts in stock) and it appears that other US Panny Factory repair centers don't offer the flat repair rate on DVD recorders.

Others here may have some ideas on how to save your recorded programs but I think the chances of recovery of your recorded programs are very very slim. Also, wish I had seen your post before you yanked the HDD. If you are connected to a digital cable box via IN1, I would have suggested disconnecting all video inputs because some cable boxes have been known to lock up the Pannys following automatic cable box firmware upgrades that are sent over the cable lines. Sorry and good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello...

I'm new here and not sure how to initiate a thread, but my question is similar to this one. I've had this machine for about two years, and I'm fairly conversant with its features. But now I have been hit by a new one: During recording from HDD to DVD, the process just quit. Everything else continues to work. Trouble is that when I try to eject the disc, I get a message on the machine readout saying "LOCK". The disc will play (but will not record) and no way can I get it to eject. I've tried everything I can figure from the manual. Even unplugging for a few hours has been fruitless. Can anyone tell me how to get the disc out?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,578 Posts
I think?? your machine might be in DEMO mode. Panny's have a feature for stores to use that want to play a DVD over and over. I believe it also disables other features as well as well as the ability for someone to eject(and maybe steal) the DVD.

I'm not positive on the sequence to disable this feature, I accidentally got my Panny into this mode but pushing too many buttons once. I would think holding both the CH up and CH down buttons on the main unit for 10 seconds(while the unit is on) should clear it. Note doing this will reset your unit back to factory defaults, so be forewarned. Note you could also search for the key sequence to get it out of this mode, or maybe someone else will remember. Note I'm just guessing this might be your problem, if not the reset would also be a good thing to try to clear any other potential problems. Other than those 2 suggestions, I'm stumped. Good luck!

Note searched my old posts and found was I was looking for. Courtesy of Kelson "To toggle the disk eject from "LOCK" to "UNLOCK": With the unit ON, press and hold "Power" and "Stop" for 5 seconds." This is the sequence to get the unit in/out of what I referred to as Demo mode. Try it first before the reset to potentially save yourself reprogramming your unit.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
try looking at your EH50 manual, pages 28 and 63 especially.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you, JJEFF. It was in "Demo" mode. Probably got that way because I pressed some wrong combination of buttons. In any event, the use of "Power" and "Stop" for 5 seconds did the trick; it immediately read "Unlock," and I was able to eject the disc. Thanks also to other posters who tried to help.

"Los bastardos non carborundum!"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Worley45,

I just had the EXACT same thing happen to me.. keeps saying Hello to me also..

Did you ever resolve the issue? What happened to your DVD?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimstam /forum/post/14322184

Worley45,

I just had the EXACT same thing happen to me.. keeps saying Hello to me also..

Did you ever resolve the issue? What happened to your DVD?

He hasn't posted since March so you are unlikely to get a reply from him, but this is how he resolved his issue: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post13442894 if you are brave enough to try. Basically, it was not good as he had to remove his HDD.

(BTW the search feature or clicking on his user name and selecting show all posts by [username] can help you research the resolution of older threads/problems as people sometimes start multiple threads on the same issue, especially if some time has elapsed between postings).

You might also want to search this forum for the various Panny DVD recorder reset key sequences see if you can revive your machine. Others may post them here as well or you could start your own thread with a complete statement of the problem including the make/model of your DVD recorder. Also, if it comes down to repairing your machine, Panny has a flat rate repair service (search under Pansonic flat rate repair or Elk Grove Village to get the contact info) for $130 - which is a pretty good deal to keep older Panny HDD units alive especially since they are no longer being sold. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,

I didn't mean to stay off the group for so long, It's just that after I transferred 36 gigs of the HD data into my PC the hard drive got too full to do any more work so I haven't done anything more in the past few months. I also had posted instructions in the after dawn forum. It was under the very popular thread about "U99 error". I never put it back in the unit again, as I need to get EVERYTHING transferred off and recovered first. ( A re-format may erase the data ). So far all the data I have looked at seems perfectly intact ( I succesfully removed and saved several 60 min and 30 min shows and quite a few short segments and commercials already ). I think it is some sort of software corruption in the data indexing since it crashed on a "divide title" operation ( I had problems with the divide before - often losing the program I was dividing ). I will be glad to answer any more questions. As soon as I get my computer HD cleaned up I plan to finish what I started. I do a lot of binary newsgroup downloading also, so I need to get some of that off onto CDs or DVDs to make room.

Wade

·
Registered
2 Posts
(((My DMR-EH50 keeps showing 'Error has occurred Please press enter'.

Doing so just causes it to shut off and back on again with the exact same message as soon as the 'IN1 Hello' appears on the display. It won't respond to any other buttons on the remote (except the power - which does the same thing) or even the pressing of the channel up/down arrows. I even tried umplugging it for 5 or 10 minutes and overnight- still no help. Any way to reset?))))

I'm new here.....and I have the same question as someone posted earlier. this is driving me INSANE!!!! Did anyone ever figure out how to fix this???? I really don't want to buy another new one, but I will because it's crucial for me to be able to record some of my tv shows and old shows that I have on VHS. I need the HDD so I can edit out commericals before transferring to DVD. I'm bummed Panasonic doesn't seem to make these recorders anymore and I guess I will have to change brands.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
See above post #9 and click the link. Then see the jazzguy1233 post where the power supply capacitors were the cause of the problem with his hard drive Panasonic. Jazzguy1233 repaired his own Panasonic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks DigaDo. I'm going to ask my brother if maybe he can do this. I don't know anything about capacitors or soldering. He's in to that stuff so maybe he will be my savior! If he can't, then I will buy a new one. I would send it to IL, but after their price and shipping, that would almost equal a new one.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessinan /forum/post/14333056

Thanks DigaDo. I'm going to ask my brother if maybe he can do this. I don't know anything about capacitors or soldering. He's in to that stuff so maybe he will be my savior! If he can't, then I will buy a new one. I would send it to IL, but after their price and shipping, that would almost equal a new one.

The $130 flat rate at the corporate Panasonic Service Center in Elk Grove Village Illinois includes parts, labor and return shipping. For a Panasonic with a hard drive this is good value as these machines are no longer on sale in the USA.

Panasonic may try to talk you into an estimate and the actual cost rate for parts and labor. This type of repair will be very much more expensive and not a good value.

For more information see this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post14198066

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I finally succeeded in copying the entire contents of my HD onto my computer ( after I bought a 2nd HD to make the room for it ) and recovered all of my shows. The HD must be OK since I was able to copy all the data. I put it back in the DMR last night, but I still get the same old error sequence.

Are there any other options? It's not a power supply issue, I get the 5 and 12volts fine. And the unit did not try and reformat the drive. I am wondering now if I am going to have to manually fill the drive with zeroes with my Hex editor to cure this. I also read a lot of posts about TV guide problems, but I never connect a cable directly to the unit, always to a vcr first and A-V cables to the DMR. I use the vcr remote to cange channels. A few times when I hit the TV guide button by accident it didn't work since the cable wasn't directly connected.

Wade

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts