AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was contemplaing purchasing the Panasonic DMR-EH50S DVD Recorder until I read the owner's manual. Definitely not the way to go if you own a HD set top box. Specifically, the owner's manual states:

-- On page 6 that , "16:9 aspect programs are recorded in 4:3 aspect.

-- On page 60, "You can not record digital signals. The digital audio terminals on this unit are for output only."

What was Panasonic thinking?!!

My old Philips which recently broke down for the third time (DVDR80) could record 16:9 from my HR 10-250 DVR onto DVD+R disks thought the S-Video connection. It would also record 4:3 properly, but only when playing back on my HD plasma.

When I would attempt to play a 4:3 recorded program on a 4:3 televison the aspect ratio would not be preserved. In other words, the 4:3 recording would end up with a 4:3 picture with side bars on my 4:3 set, and 16:9 recordings, which should be shown at a letteboxed picture on a 4:3 set, became a distorted full screen picture on the 4:3 set.

So, since I need a new DVD recorder, can anyone recommend, preferably but not necessarily with a HDD, a recorder that can successfully record 16:9 aspect ratio programs? And, of less importance but still desirable, be able to properly record 4:3 so that when I record from my HD TIVO to DVD it appears properly full screen on a 4:3 televison. Can any DVD recorder do this? Thanks!

(Philips will not be considered. I had the unit repaired two times before failing now, and the unit had way too many problems even when working.)

·
Registered
824 Posts

igreg said:
I was contemplaing purchasing the Panasonic DMR-EH50S DVD Recorder until I read the owner's manual. Definitely not the way to go if you own a HD set top box. Specifically, the owner's manual states:

I have a DMR-E100 which apparently works the same way. When I record HDTV, I set my tuner (Sony HD-200) output to narrow. When I playback from the hard drive or burn a disk, I use the same mode as I use for commerical widescreen DVD. The result is 16:9, no distortion and excellent quality.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. HR 10-250 DVR does not have a "narrow choice", just 4:3 or 16:9, so don't know if there's a soloution for this situation.

Other question: Does any DVD recorder have the capability of recording DD5.1?

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg
Thanks. HR 10-250 DVR does not have a "narrow choice", just 4:3 or 16:9, so don't know if there's a soloution for this situation.

Other question: Does any DVD recorder have the capability of recording DD5.1?
No. Have to wait for Hi-Def for that.

Most do have an ability to record linear PCM digital stereo though, which is 10 times a better audio bit rate than DD 2.0, and is still better than DD 5.1 on a per channel basis.

·
Registered
22 Posts

igreg said:

--

What was Panasonic thinking?!!

NOT TRUE! This unit records 16X9 just fine. See message in thread on "Reviews"

for this unit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtS
As I know (after studying the manual) Panasonic properly records 16:9, BUT only to DVD-RAM.

ArtS :)
Not sure what you mean by "properly records ", but as discussed in other threads, the Panasonic unit, as well as others, can record anamorphic 16x9 content on DVD-R, RW disks that plays back as 16x9 just fine on widescreen displays.

I've done it. I've made several DVD-R disks that look great as 16x9 on my Plasma.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.