AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought Panasonic DMR EH59 DVD recorder.

While operating it I came across some problems.

Shall be grateful for effective help. Here are the problems:

1. How to identify the firmware version of EH59 in order to assess the need for updating it.

2. Copied a title to the playlist and chaptered it there. Selected all the chapters.

The burned (copied, using Panasonic terminology) DVDs do not carry on them the chapters.

3. Difficulties in formatting DVD +R DL blanks to match EH59 software requirements. (DVD -R DL blanks are practically not available.)

Could not make the formatting window pop-up while inserting the DVD blank.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilan7 /forum/post/20792229

Just bought Panasonic DMR EH59 DVD recorder.

While operating it I came across some problems.

Shall be grateful for effective help. Here are the problems:

1. How to identify the firmware version of EH59 in order to assess the need for updating it.

2. Copied a title to the playlist and chaptered it there. Selected all the chapters.

The burned (copied, using Panasonic terminology) DVDs do not carry on them the chapters.

3. Difficulties in formatting DVD +R DL blanks to match EH59 software requirements. (DVD -R DL blanks are practically not available.)

Could not make the formatting window pop-up while inserting the DVD blank.

1) That's a good question. I really don't know where the firmware version is listed. I guess it isn't a big deal to me. A search of the manual for the word "firmware" shows no hits.

2) You create a playlist from one or more titles. You can chapterize and edit that playlist all you want, BUT, it does not make any changes to the titles. That's one of the teal values of playlists. If you make an editing mistake, you haven't damaged or erased anything from the original titles, so you haven't lost anything. Just start over with a new playlist. When you want to burn the result of your work to a DVD, you copy the playllist, not the title. Use Advanced Copy, and select Playlists. press the Green button to select Playlists (manual page 45).

3) If you put the DVD +R DL in the drive and then select the DVD drive as the source (instead of the HDD drive) it should bring up the scren that says the disk is improperly formatted and would you like to format it.

When the format confirmation screen is displayed

[RAM] [-RWV] [+R] [+R]DL] [+RW]

When you insert a new disc or a disc recorded on a computer or

other equipment, a format confirmation screen is displayed. Format

the disc to use it. However, all the recorded contents are deleted.

From page 21 of the manual.

·
Registered
322 Posts

Quote:

I found this link at the Panasonic website:
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...eh49/euro.html

Scroll down to step 1 - Check the firmware version currently installed in your DVD recorder.

Note I do not own a Panasonic recorder. Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by em-t-wallitt /forum/post/20804635

Scroll down to step 1 - Check the firmware version currently installed in your DVD recorder.

Sigh... Okay, so I suppose I could have found this if I had bothered looking for it. Thanks em-t-wallitt. (Oh, and thanks for the regular postings from Craig's list too!)

SO! I checked my EH59, and it says 1.3. I checked my EH69, and it said nothing, which I assumed means it is at 1.0 since according to the web site, only versions above 1.0 have the firmware version display feature. My EH69 is a year older than my EH59. It was in for repairs once, but since it's an international model, I doubt they worried about updating the firmware. I also tried it on my EH55, but it didn't work, so I guess there is a different mechanism for that machine. As I said, I never worried about it.

Hmmm. I just noticed that according to the web site you posted, the latest rev for the EH59 is 1.2. Mine clearly said 1.3. I wonder what that could mean exactly... Just odd!

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

Quote:

Assuming you're copying the playlist to the DVD, not the title (so that's not the problem), make sure that you have high-speed copying enabled. Normal copying does not carry over the chapter marks; high-speed copying does.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/20811798

Assuming you're copying the playlist to the DVD, not the title (so that's not the problem), make sure that you have high-speed copying enabled. Normal copying does not carry over the chapter marks; high-speed copying does.

Good point. I set that option right out of the box when I first set up the recorder and never mess with it again, so I completely forgot about it. See page 58 in the manual. The default is ON, which is what you want. The machine will sometimes not allow high speed copying if you make a large number of short segments. I have never been able to completely figure out what criteria it uses to disallow high speed copying.

The obvious first question then is: Did it in fact high speed copy or not?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/20803336

1) That's a good question. I really don't know where the firmware version is listed. I guess it isn't a big deal to me. A search of the manual for the word "firmware" shows no hits.

2) You create a playlist from one or more titles. You can chapterize and edit that playlist all you want, BUT, it does not make any changes to the titles. That's one of the teal values of playlists. If you make an editing mistake, you haven't damaged or erased anything from the original titles, so you haven't lost anything. Just start over with a new playlist. When you want to burn the result of your work to a DVD, you copy the playllist, not the title. Use Advanced Copy, and select Playlists. press the Green button to select Playlists (manual page 45).

3) If you put the DVD +R DL in the drive and then select the DVD drive as the source (instead of the HDD drive) it should bring up the scren that says the disk is improperly formatted and would you like to format it.

When the format confirmation screen is displayed

[RAM] [-RWV] [+R] [+R]DL] [+RW]

When you insert a new disc or a disc recorded on a computer or

other equipment, a format confirmation screen is displayed. Format

the disc to use it. However, all the recorded contents are deleted.

From page 21 of the manual.

Thanks a lot Church AV Guy for your helpful reply. Followed successfully your recommendations

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/20811798

High speed copied a chaptered clip. The chapters were sure there on the DVD.

Thanks a million jtbell for your help. (I sweated blood before, while copying chaptered clips.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by em-t-wallitt /forum/post/20804635

Found my firmware (1.3.)

Thanks a lot em-t-wallitt for your answer.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilan7
Found my firmware (1.3.)

Thanks a lot em-t-wallitt for your answer.
Mine said 1.3 also, which is odd when you look at the web site and it says the current firmware version for the EH59 is 1.2
Well, specifically it says that the current Update Version is 1.2, so maybe 1.3 is out but not released as an update, though I can't imagine why.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.