AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a Panasonic DMR-ES15 DVD Recorder that appears to be stuck in "Set Code 2" mode for the "Remote Control Code" option. Because of this, I cannot get any universal or replacement remotes to work with this model DVD player even though they all advertise compatibility.

I've already tried the "hold button 2 + Enter/OK" trick mentioned everywhere online to change the remotes to match the player's "Set Code 2" setting. The manual states that the factory default setting is "Set Code 1", however when I press and hold the "Channel UP + DOWN" buttons on the front of the device to factory reset it, I can still only get the device to display "SET 2" when attempting to use any remotes on it.

Is there a way to force this "Remote Control Code" setting back to "1" without a functioning remote? This setting can apparently only be configured from within the setup menu, requiring a remote. If not, is there a way to force a universal remote to use this "Set Code 2" option for the Panasonic? My replacement generic remotes (models EUR7659Y10 & EUR7659YKO) aren't accepting the command to change their remote control code option to 2 either. Any direction would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
11,629 Posts
I believe you are going to need a working factory remote to change it. A factory reset doesn't change the remote code and several other settings. Note the remote doesn't need to be a DVDR remote, I know for a fact that an older Panasonic BD player(with the remote that looks similar to the ES-15 remote) will also work, it just won't have a record button and a few other DVDR functions.
Again with a proper remote, you hold the 2 key down and then push the enter key, note this won't change the DVDR but rather you're remote, then once the remote matches the unit you can go into the FUNCTIONS SETUP menu on the DVDR and change it to 1, then to change your remote to match the DVDR hold down the 1 key and then the enter key to match the remote to your 1 code DVDR.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe you are going to need a working factory remote to change it. A factory reset doesn't change the remote code and several other settings. Note the remote doesn't need to be a DVDR remote, I know for a fact that an older Panasonic BD player(with the remote that looks similar to the ES-15 remote) will also work, it just won't have a record button and a few other DVDR functions.
Again with a proper remote, you hold the 2 key down and then push the enter key, note this won't change the DVDR but rather you're remote, then once the remote matches the unit you can go into the FUNCTIONS SETUP menu on the DVDR and change it to 1, then to change your remote to match the DVDR hold down the 1 key and then the enter key to match the remote to your 1 code DVDR.
Thanks for insight! I wasn't sure if the "Code Set" options were proprietary for Panasonic remotes, but that appears to be the case. I'm currently looking for a used remote that is Panasonic branded and matches the model number on the back of the real one (EUR7659Y10), but its great to know that most of the older media-playback-centric authentic remotes may work as well.

I believe what threw me for a loop was the vendors of these generic EUR7659Y10 remotes did claim that they could be changed to match my Panasonic's "SET" number, but in experimenting with their products I don't believe that's true. A genuine remote seems to be my answer, hopefully then I can flip the Panasonic to "SET 1" and unlock the ability to use universal remotes on it.

Must appreciated! I'll start the hunt.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I've found that pretty much every Panasonic remote from that era (Es-10, Es-15, Es-20 and maybe more) will work on a 15 (I have both the 10 and the 15 as well as the 18).

·
Registered
11,629 Posts
I've found that pretty much every Panasonic remote from that era (Es-10, Es-15, Es-20 and maybe more) will work on a 15 (I have both the 10 and the 15 as well as the 18).
AFAIK all Panasonic DVDR remotes work with all Panasonic DVDRs, some just have extra buttons like a dedicated FR button or Eject button. My favorite Panasonic remotes for my DVDRs are the '06 model year ES-25/35/45/46/55 and 75, remotes older than '06 have the smaller buttons and weird(to me) slanted design. I don't use the ES-15 remote as it lacks the DRIVE SELECT button needed for HDD Panasonic DVDRs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Success! I've found a genuine used "Panasonic DVD/TV" remote with the model number EUR7659Y10 and I was able to finally configure that remote to communicate with the DVD Recorder and revert the "Remote Control Code" setting back to 1. Afterwards, the universal remotes I programmed earlier began to work as well.

Sadly, others are right in that a "factory reset" doesn't reset the remote control code back to its factory setting of 1. Even though the seller claimed their generic EUR7659Y10 had the ability to be reprogrammed, I didn't find that to be the case. Thanks for all the help! Once again, buying name brand was the solution haha.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Howdy! Thought I'd help others in the future who run into this issue. I recently bought an as-is DMR-ES15 off eBay with a note in the description that she couldn't get the remote to work and had bought and tried a few remotes without success.

When I received it I first tried the included remote (looks like a genuine OEM one), but it didn't do anything. I pointed it at my smartphone's camera and noticed the IR LED wasn't lighting up at all. Checked batteries, etc., it's just a dead remote. Luckily I had an old LG V10 smartphone with a built-in IR blaster. Loaded up the AnyMote app and found a match in their database. LCD display shows "SET 2." Ugh.. Factory reset with [STOP], [CH UP], and [OPEN/CLOSE] doesn't fix this as noted several places on the 'net.

However... I dug deeper and found out how to enter Service Mode for the ES15. I suspect this will work exactly the same with the DMR-ES10. Now this is very important so please read carefully: SERVICE MODE CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS, IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING YOU CAN SCREW UP THE DEVICE!! Please don't do this if you're not comfortable and/or experienced with this sort of thing.

With that disclaimer out of the way, here's how you do it: While the power is off and disc tray is empty, press [REC], [CH UP], and [OPEN/CLOSE] simultaneously for five seconds until you see SERV on the LCD screen. Then on your remote (doesn't matter what the remote control code is currently set to; it can be a generic remote or even a phone with infrared like I used) you press [9], [9]. That's 99. You'll see CLR on the LCD screen and at that point you can press the power button to turn it off. This wipes out all saved everything, even device error history. It purges the EEPROM chip and when you turn the power on again it notices working memory is empty and fills it with the original out-of-the-box data.

Hope this helps someone out there!! :) It'll eliminate the necessity of using a genuine remote when the "SET *" error (also known as error code U30) happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts