AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi everyone

I hope you can help, as was unable to find the solution anywhere.

My ~8 year old Panasonic DMR-ES30V crashed today during the dubbing of an ordinary VHS tape with some TV recording. I thought it died as all lights went off completely. I re-plugged it and after a while, the lights surprisingly came back on, and its working, including recording on both VCR and DVD - separately.

But when I tried dubbing via remote button, nothing happened except for the flashing dub light. It flashes few times then stops, no message on screen at all about dubbing. Then I tried dubbing via Functions Menu. This is when I got the error:

" Cannot dub. VHS side is busy. Also check standby mode for timer recording on VHS."

(Enter/Return = which both just take you back to dubbing menu)

I tried a different video tape and a different DVD disk, same thing. Unplugged it for about 2-3 minutes, didn't make a difference. It's almost as if the system still thinks it is dubbing from before the crash perhaps, like the dubbing "link" isn't broken? Any ideas? Is there a way to reset the functions perhaps? And I have no idea what is it talking about when mentioning the "timer recording standby on VHS", as all of the presets are gone during unplugging, so nothing is set to record. 

Thank you in advance for any suggestions. 

·
Registered
11,642 Posts

To reset a ES-30v you need to have the unit ON, then hold down both the channel UP and channel DOWN buttons on the unit for at least 5 seconds, this should turn the unit off as it preforms a reset. Note the reset may default some of your preferences and will wipe out any SCHEDULES so you want to jot them down if you've changed them from default.

If this doesn't work I'm not sure what to say, personally I never use the FUNCTIONS dubbing option(one touch dubbing) as I prefer to dub manually. That is while monitoring the DVD side, select the VHS side as it's input. From there select your record mode(or FR if you prefer), push REC or enter on the DVD side and immediately push PLAY on the VHS side. From there you can pause the DVD side if you want or search the VHS side to get to parts you want to record. With the very handy dual displays that the ES-30v has, keeping track of things is quite easy, not at all like the much harder to use single display ES-35/45v. If your going from DVD to VHS then do the opposite of what I previously described.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for a quick response Jjeff, I didn't even know about recording that way, didn't realise there was another way :) 

Well there was a development since yesterday. After managing to record further 3 hrs off TV, my Panny shut itself down again, no lights nothing. I re plugged it again, and nothing. After good 1-2 hrs, just as I thought it was dead, it came back to life without me touching it! Most wierd. Anyways, I thought let me better finalize any open disks while its working, and it let me. I relaxed and started watching a video tape. Again after couple of hours it shut itself off completely, no lights, nothing. But this time, didn't get back to life. Now it looks like it's really RIP Panny 

I am wondering how come it came back to life the first time, as it was no lights no nothing for good 1-2 hrs. Do you think it might have been the fan not working and it overheated, then when it cooled down it started again? 

If that's the case, why wouldn't it come back to life again? 

Let's say it is a fan, how easy /expensive would it be to replace?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks again

·
Registered
11,642 Posts

I'm really thinking its the power supply. Capacitors are very prone to going bad on Panasonic models of this year('05). If your familiar with a soldering iron and can take it apart down to the board level you might have luck replacing the bad capacitors. They are generally identified by their bulging tops, they will be the larger ones in the power supply section.

Digado has a nice thread talking about bad caps, something titled withering capacitors or something like that. I'm not using my computer that has it bookmarked so I don't have access to it right now, maybe Digado will see this or later I'll have access to the post and link it for you. The ES-30v is a great recorder but I'm not sure it would be worth your while to pay to have it repaired, depends on how much it would cost and how much it was worth it to you. The parts are nominal(~$10 total) but the time and labor to replace them is where the money is.

Does yours have a dim display? Thats another problem with this model, several of mine are almost impossible to read, I have to use the OSD to see anything in all but a dark room.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.