AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the ez27, and am scratching my head over how this thing stores and displays channels through it's internal tuners. This is my first DVD recorder.

I'm running TW digital and HD cable right into the tuner of the ez27, then coax passthrough out to my Sammy t5054 plasma. With TW through the TV I can figure out what I am watching (TW's guide), and the Panny displays regular analog stations like I'm used to, but then there are channels such as 74-118 or 76-463 (a lot of them) that I don't know what it is unless I wait for the program I'm watching to give me a hint!

Is there a guide or something I'm missing on how to figure out what these channels are? I can name them through the menu system when I figure it out

Also, will this recorder ever record a 16:9 picture, even at Standard Def? The only way I seem to get widescreen output from the Panny's tuner is to stretch the picture

·
Registered
106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanystraydogs /forum/post/0

My guess is these are unencrypted digital cable channels your QAM tuner is picking up.

Same here, Riverside, CA TW basic cable.

I had to make a list on my computer to keep track of channels.

You may have answered the question I have been looking for...does the EZ27 have a QAM tuner? It is advertised as having "Digital Broadcast Capable with Built-In ATSC Tuner", which normally does not include cable digital...only broadcast digital; however page 77 of the Panasonic Operating Instructions says that the antenna reception input includes "Digital CATV Channel: 1 to 135". I had been thinking of buying this recorder, but only if it had a QAM tuner.

I owned the Toshiba DR550 for a short time before I had to return it because it was defective...plus it seemed to be inferior to previous Panasonic DVD recorders I already own. The Toshiba does advertise a QAM tuner, and I was able to obtain the unencrypted QAM channels that Charter Cable broadcast. Any particular digital channel takes up the same bandwidth space as the corresponding analogy channel would occupy, but because digital channels require less space, the channel is divided into sub-channels. So in my case, cable channel 79 included all 47 Music Choice Channels, arbitrarily numbered from 79-5 to 79-51. NBC HD and CBS HD shared channel 103 at 103-1 and 103-3.

None of these recorders "record" high definition...they convert any broadcast to a SD picture...i.e. a 480i signal...and record that signal, then up convert it back to a 480 p, 720p or 1080p or i. Of course it looses quality in the process, but the picture seems to be as good as a commercial DVD. If the transmission is high definition, and if you have properly setup the recorder, the recorded picture you see should be a 4:3 that needs to be stretched by your wide screen TV...just like you would if playing a commercial wide screen DVD.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastexas /forum/post/0

Just bought the ez27, and am scratching my head over how this thing stores and displays channels through it's internal tuners. This is my first DVD recorder.

I'm running TW digital and HD cable right into the tuner of the ez27, then coax passthrough out to my Sammy t5054 plasma. With TW through the TV I can figure out what I am watching (TW's guide), and the Panny displays regular analog stations like I'm used to, but then there are channels such as 74-118 or 76-463 (a lot of them) that I don't know what it is unless I wait for the program I'm watching to give me a hint!

Is there a guide or something I'm missing on how to figure out what these channels are? I can name them through the menu system when I figure it out
Try this website for ALL channels in your zip code and what's on. Dropdown list lets you pick Digital, Analog, DirecTV, Dish, etc. etc.

·
Registered
13,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djk1940 /forum/post/0

You may have answered the question I have been looking for...does the EZ27 have a QAM tuner? It is advertised as having "Digital Broadcast Capable with Built-In ATSC Tuner", which normally does not include cable digital...only broadcast digital; however page 77 of the Panasonic Operating Instructions says that the antenna reception input includes "Digital CATV Channel: 1 to 135". I had been thinking of buying this recorder, but only if it had a QAM tuner.

You might want to read the current EZ27 threads before deciding to buy. It seems a number of people are experiencing a problem where the recorder will not record 5.1 audio properly and drops the center voice channel so there is no dialog.

As a whole, these 1st gen ATSC tuner recorders are not ready for prime-time. If you can wait, you might want to delay purchase until gen-2 appears (and is reviewed here).

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/0

You might want to read the current EZ27 threads before deciding to buy. It seems a number of people are experiencing a problem where the recorder will not record 5.1 audio properly and drops the center voice channel so there is no dialog.

The audio problem seems to be solved by turning Virtual Surround Sound (VSS) OFF in the Audio section of the setup menus. Only one person tried this so far and got "normal" sound thru the tuner and is going to try a recording to confirm that's OK too. Stay tuned?

·
Registered
13,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo /forum/post/0

The audio problem seems to be solved by turning Virtual Surround Sound (VSS) OFF in the Audio section of the setup menus. Only one person tried this so far and got "normal" sound thru the tuner and is going to try a recording to confirm that's OK too. Stay tuned?

Inconclusive as of now. He's only made 1 recording and is having other issues. We'll need to wait until others have tried it and tested more thoroughly before we can pronounce a cure. I'm disturbed by these U99 errors and skipped timer recordings. On the whole this does not seem like a good gen-1 unit. I'm wondering if Panasonic actually made this or it is a rebadge just to get them into the market as a placeholder.

I certainly would not buy any of these gen-1's.

·
Registered
378 Posts

Quote:

Inconclusive as of now. He's only made 1 recording and is having other issues. We'll need to wait until others have tried it and tested more thoroughly before we can pronounce a cure. I'm disturbed by these U99 errors and skipped timer recordings. On the whole this does not seem like a good gen-1 unit. I'm wondering if Panasonic actually made this or it is a rebadge just to get them into the market as a placeholder.

Yes. I totally agree. Inconclusive as of now and sort of kicking myself for buying new technology the week it came out. However, I am hoping things are getting better.

I recorded the entire ABC lineup last night. The audio is fine throughout the entire night of shows. 2nd night in a row. Last week I had the audio issue 3 of 3 nights of recording. I suggest others at least try it since Panasonic still seems to insist they can't even duplicate the problem.

Also, I haven't had the timer miss a setting in weeks since I set Clock Set to manual (my preference anyway) and DST to off and powered off for > 30 seconds as recommended by Panasonic after updating firmware on their recorders.

I have no idea what the U99 error is about. According to the user manual:

Quote:
The unit fails to operate properly. Press [POWER ^/I] on the main

unit to switch the unit to standby. Press [POWER ^/I] on the main unit

again to turn the unit on.

Doesn't exactly leave me feeling warm and fuzzy. I followed their instructions only having it happen 3 times last week.

Unfortunately it is Summer rerun season and I am not on Panasonic's payroll, so only time will tell if I trust it enough to do my Fall recording. I expected some problems as I already have 5 other analog DVD recorders I had to get used to which discs they prefered, etc. But when it works, it records a great picture even in LP mode that beats my other recorders on SP mode. So I am hoping...

·
Registered
106 Posts

Quote:

As a whole, these 1st gen ATSC tuner recorders are not ready for prime-time. If you can wait, you might want to delay purchase until gen-2 appears (and is reviewed here).

Thanks, I did notice the audio problem from the the other threads, and I'm waiting to see if it is resolved by the VSS setting. However, there is another EZ27 problem I read about that also worries me...the long it takes to tune a digital channel. I had the same issue with the Toshiba DR550 that I owned for a short time, but this slowness occasionally resulted in an even worse issue: Sometimes the tuner could not find the digital station at all, unless I manually cycled between the analog and digital stations. When programed to record a digital station, it would sometimes not be able to tune to the station, and my programed recording was blank.

I know this is not typical of all digital tuners...I also own a 2-year old Sony DHG-HDD250, which also has digital tuners (both ATSC and QAM), and it tunes to the digital channels immediately, and with no problems. So I am also waiting to see if others experience this same problem when they program their recorder to record a digital station.

Incidently, even though the Sony DVR is a great hard-disk recorder, I wouldn't recommend paying very much for a used one today since it totally depends on analog stations to set the time. These stations are planned to disappear in Feb 09, at which time, unless something changes, there will be no way to set the clock on the Sony, and it will become little more than a HDTV digital tuner.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The audio problem described may not be originating in the DVD-R. I have had intermittant loss of the center audio from the ABC affiliate several times this season specifically on Lost and Desperate Housewives. It wouldn't last for the whole program. Usually from the start to the first break. I assumed the local station had left a switch off and then caught it.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:

I have a question about the gen-1's as you call them. Are you referring to the ATSC tuners or other features as gen-1? I don't use the tuner on my current DVDR. I mainly record off of the component video connected to my DISH-PVR.

Are there issues with 7.1 audio on the ES27 on the OTA or on any input?

My Insignia is starting to loose its usefulness. I have trouble playing purchased or finalized DVD's on it. I am interested in a good DVDR that has no problems recording off of the Component Video. I am sure that I would like to record HD in the future, so this is a stepping stone in my opinion.

Any thoughts on the Panny or others for my needs? If you recommend a older generation is it because of video quality or tuner and other issues?

Thanks so much. This place has been very helpful to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i am looking for some help regarding this unit dmr ez47vk ,,, I like to record on dvd hdtv widesreen movies off my dvr and when i did it with my old unit i lost 2 inches on top and bottom , i was told by manufacture that is was due to only having an analog input ,,, will this unit copy the full screen , since it has a digital tuner?

·
Registered
197 Posts
1. For the loss of audio turn off Virtual Surround Sound (VSS) as we have had good luck with that setting (its a simulated sorround sound intended for 2 speaker stereo systems) Reference this thread here

2. I beleive it will record full screen only if you are using DVD Ram disk, otherwise any other disk wont record full screen regardless of the source.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy1975 /forum/post/0

My Insignia is starting to loose its usefulness. I have trouble playing purchased or finalized DVD's on it.

Before anyone declares their units dead cause disc ops are bad, they should try setting the clock manually and turning DST OFF.

The SW/FW changes reqd to accommodate the new DST rules can cause many "odd" problems, as described in this thread.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo /forum/post/0

Before anyone declares their units dead cause disc ops are bad, they should try setting the clock manually and turning DST OFF.

I have been using this unit for a few years. The clocks are set manually and the DST is off since I have this only connected to the DISH PVR with analog composite cables.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.