AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought Panasonic DMR-EZ475 a month ago from CostCo, it was like my dream coming true - a unit with almost all the features I wanted - a digital tuner, VCR/DVD-R combo, etc. My happiness didn't last long. It started to hang every now and then. You need to push and hold the power button for about 20 seconds to let it die, and then push the power button again to bring it back up. Eventually, it started to hang more frequently.

Now, what started as a dream coming true ended up in a nightmare. It screwed up some of my DVD-R's which had some precious timer-recordings, rendering them all unusable. It happened when I edited the recording names and tried to save the changes. I can return the unit to CostCo, but how do I recover the contents of those DVDs? Can someone help me with that?

·
Registered
11,579 Posts
Just curious, when you went to save the new title names did the recorder make a grinding noise? Was the room quiet enough to hear any grinding, if there was any?

I was running into the same problem on a older Panny when I would go to change the names or thumbnail, it was always proceeded by the grinding noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is anyone else annoyed by the fact that the remote on the PAN EZ47 doesn't have a zoom control nor A-B function for viewing short repeated scenes nor the "mark" & "search" feature that allows one to go back and start from a pre-selected scene?

In addition, I have found that, when recording a timed event, if I cancelled it and tuned to something else, I found the recorder still recording later...only this time it's now recording the channel I am now watching.

Maybe I need to go back and re-read the 100 page instruction manual but this machine is nowhere near the quality I have had with numerous Panasonic products in the past.

With this machine, I replaced an $79 5 year old Go-Video DVD/VHS player with definitely more remote control functions than this and easier to use.

·
Registered
11,579 Posts
Yes I sure miss Zoom, A-B function and most importantly a go-to time, function. This is the reason I never really play on the Panasonic. I just record the -RW DVD's, then finalize it, and finally play on my $60 Sony DVD player(which has all these features and more). Much nicer experience. I also don't like the scan speeds on the Panny, or the remote. Or the.........you get my point. But IMO the PQ of the recorded DVD's can't be beat. So even with all it's flaws, I stick with it.

Not sure about your canceled recording thing. I have canceled recordings, before and during the program, with no problems(now I have the DVDR w/out VHS, but don't think it would make a difference). From the schedule list you just hit the CANCEL or * key, while the program is highlighted or once the program has started you just hit STOP, and then need to confirm you want to stop the recording.

I agree it's not the handiest player, which is why I don't really use it to play. Now I know that for some, having a second player may not be an option, in which case I would have to suffer through design of the recorder.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreywg /forum/post/12973016

Is anyone else annoyed by the fact that the remote on the PAN EZ47 doesn't have a zoom control nor A-B function for viewing short repeated scenes nor the "mark" & "search" feature that allows one to go back and start from a pre-selected scene?

This lack of functionality is common on many (if not all) DVD recorders, not just the Panasonics.

As Jeff says, many of us use the recorder just to record, while using a dedicated DVD player to play back, especially commercial DVDs.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara /forum/post/12978734

This lack of functionality is common on many (if not all) DVD recorders, not just the Panasonics.

As Jeff says, many of us use the recorder just to record, while using a dedicated DVD player to play back, especially commercial DVDs.

The Philips 3575 has four zoom levels, three repeat options (title, chapter, A-B), and six markers for selected points in video.

·
Registered
11,579 Posts
And another thing I like about the 3575 that I have never seen on any(OK I haven't seen every DVDR made) DVDR, is the elapsed time and also the TOTAL time of the title. Now what I would really like would be the "remaining time" which I use ALL the time on my Sony player, but at least with the Philips it is possible with some quick math, to figure remaining time. I don't know why NO DVDR's have the "remaining time" display. When I was researching DVDR's years ago I tried probably 8? different brands and NONE had the remaining time feature. In fact none even had the Philips total time display, which is a good second best. And while your correct the 3575 does have Zoom, I really like the zoom on my Sony player, which lets me easily pan and scan the zoom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts